You're kidding right?

Guest nicemac

Well to run your car you need to buy gas, and if a refinery catches fire like a while back and everyone goes up, that's gouging. Considering that refinery refined fuel to be sent elsewhere, not here.

No, it isn't. Their product is now more valuable, and they likely can't get any more of it. And you don't have to buy it. You may want to. But you don't have to.

If they charge $10 per gallon for gas, only people that have to have it will buy it. That will ensure ample supply. What happened a few years ago was that the price remained low, so everybody went and filled up every container they could find, even if they didn't need it. That took it off the market for those that truly did need it and would have been willing to pay more to get it.

Kinda like guns right now…

Guest nicemac

The value of an object is dependent on circumstances.

Perfect example: What is worth more-a gallon of water or an ounce of gold? If you are in a pawn shop, the gold is. If you are in the desert or on a life raft in the middle of the Pacific, the water is.

If there is a hurricane, generators are suddenly much more valuable. And the price will go up accordingly. If there is a blizzard, snow shovels become more valuable. Diamonds are valuable because they are scarce. If someone suddenly found a million tons of diamonds, the price would drop dramatically on all diamonds. Everywhere. They would be worth next to nothing. Are people being gouged on the price of diamonds today? No…

Dang Paul, say it isn't so . LOL

Will that make it go away? I've had to be patient, but I built an AR, helped a friend build an AR and stocked up on some ammo. I didn't have to pay inflated (more than a few bucks) prices for anything. It does require time and effort, though. Since my time isn't worth much, it didn't hurt too bad.

During the building of both AR's, I clicked the "notify me" bottom for several items on several websites. I was being notified about in-stock items at a rate of one or two a week, but now it's 2 or 3 a day. Lots of LPKs and BCGs, so I think that's a good sign.

Pray tell how you will get to work if not in a vehicle powered by an engine assuming you don't work from home or a close enough to get there by bike.  My point is that they know everyone is looking for high capacity magazines in the AR, AK, Glock, etc categories and have raised their prices accordingly to make more money because they know someone will pay that.  That's what I call gouging. It might not be the definition of the word for you but in my book it is.

Guest nicemac

Pray tell how you will get to work if not in a vehicle powered by an engine assuming you don't work from home or a close enough to get there by bike.  My point is that they know everyone is looking for high capacity magazines in the AR, AK, Glock, etc categories and have raised their prices accordingly to make more money because they know someone will pay that.  That's what I call gouging. It might not be the definition of the word for you but in my book it is.

Tell me who HAS to buy high capacity magazines right now? A lot of people want them, and if they want them badly enough, they will pay whatever it is worth. That is not gouging. That is called "making a deal."

Some people feel they HAVE to buy them in case some sort of ban passes. I have all the mags I want, I don't need more right now and frankly I could care less what CTD is doing right now. I don't buy from them to start. Just because they are harder to get right now doesn't mean you HAVE to put a high price on it, that's what gets me is that there is no need to put a high price on it but they do anyway. They know some people want them and are more than willing to pay that. Let's be honest, making, packaging, shipping, and warehousing that magazine doesn't cost that much but I bet that their margin on it is at least or close to 50%. Given there is nothing wrong with a great margin.

Guest nicemac

Feeling like they HAVE to buy them is not the same as truly having to buy them. They don't. But the people who want them are willing to pay dearly for them. Good time to be a seller!

People sell things for what the market price is. If the current market price for high-capacity mags is $100, I would be a fool to sell them for October 2012 prices.

Why aren't M16 lowers the same price as AR lowers? There is really no difference engineering-wise between the two. A couple of extra parts that on their own would be a couple of bucks. But they ain't making any more that can be sold, so the price went up, and up and up and up. They now go for as much as $20k. $20k for a part that otherwise would be worth $500. Market conditions…

Only difference is that magazines are still being produced unlike M16's and are still currently legal and unregulated. Also there isn't anything saying that they won't be available tomorrow so why charge Clinton-era prices for magazines? It's not like that is the last G 17 33 round magazine left for civilian consumption.

Guest nicemac

If you were going to sell one right now would you ask $11 (what I paid for two 30- round Mag-Puls in November, 2012) or $100?

You would be foolish to sell for $11…

Guest nicemac

Someone willing to pay a high price is not necessarily a moron. Suppose these things are banned (unlikely at best). Suddenly they're worth $500 a piece. The moron just made $400 per unit on his purchase. This scenario plays out on Wall Street every day.

Buy high, sell higher.

Vendors sell stuff. I buy stuff. If the vendor's sales model works for them, okay by me. I'm responsible for my own buying habits, not anyone else's.

I believe capitalism and informed consumerism are about the best isms there are.

In short, I'll still buy from CTD if they have what I want at the price I'm willing to pay. Matter of fact, bought a double rifle case from them for Christmas, best price on the one I wanted I could find.

- OS

Man, I'll bet Brownell's and Midway USA feel really stupid for not raising their prices to meet demand. I can't believe they thought it was smart business to continue to sell at retail prices when desperate consumers were willing to pay much more.

Certainly, I feel Brownell's and MidwayUSA's policy is ethical, and would seem to be more viable for the long run. But then again, CTD's gouging in '08-09 didn't seem to hurt them, or they wouldn't have pulled same tactic again.

- OS

Certainly, I feel Brownell's and MidwayUSA's policy is ethical, and would seem to be more viable for the long run. But then again, CTD's gouging in '08-09 didn't seem to hurt them, or they wouldn't have pulled same tactic again.

- OS

I can't argue with your logic on that. I wonder at what point, if ever, it does start to hurt CTD. When do they reach the point where they've alienated enough of the hard core gun crowd that there is no one to buy their products when there is no buying panic?

I can't argue with your logic on that. I wonder at what point, if ever, it does start to hurt CTD. When do they reach the point where they've alienated enough of the hard core gun crowd that there is no one to buy their products when there is no buying panic?

Doubt if they will. People talk a good game re boycotting various outfits. Until they have the best price on what they want again. That's the ism that always counts the most.

- OS