taurus pt 1911 questions about duracoat

Krull

There is a store in the tricites that does a great job duracoating weapons.  I am thinking about duracoating this taurus i aquired in a trade recently.  The blue is fine but for a gun fired as little as this one the blue is worn a little more than I think it should be.  Anyway that aside, Is duracoating a good way to go for a gun that i will carry primarily in the car and on boats etc, basically i dont want to say junk gun because it seems to be a fine firearm but i dont want to take my colts etc on the water and camping trips anymore.  I have never owned a duracoated firearm but have seen some and i do like the matte finish.  Any ideas, suggestions, hatemail, etc?

Edited by Krull

Personally, I'm not a fan of the looks of duracoat. Don't get me wrong, it does serve a beneficial purpose. I just haven't seen anything yet that I'd rather have than a good factory finish.

Have you considered putting a little time and elbow into it and polishing the gun?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the looks of duracoat. Don't get me wrong, it does serve a beneficial purpose. I just haven't seen anything yet that I'd rather have than a good factory finish.

Have you considered putting a little time and elbow into it and polishing the gun?

that's what i ended up doing to my G27 until i get funds to send it to CCR

image_zpsc9aa8dee.jpeg

Edited by carter

If you want a cheap, yet durable, finish use chaulk board paint. There is something in it that makes it very durable and as long as you don't use some heavy duty solvent on it it will last. I have used it on several firearms and it works well, especially if you bake it on. I have used aerosol gunkote from Brownells and it works great too but I still prefer to use chaulk board paint. My thought is if it is durable enough for chaulk then it is durable enough for most guns. It has something in it that makes it very, very durable. It dries to a nice finish and is impervious to heat. I normally spray the parts, let the air dry then bake them at 300 degrees for a few hours.

I never would have thought about using it until a member here said they tried it so I did too and I am very pleased with how well it works.

You would also be surpised how durable Krylon is once it has cured for a month or so. Once cured it is miserable to get off without some sort of blaster.

Dolomite

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with duracoat, but I had one of my 1911s cerakoted by Predator Custom and it's been excellent. I carry and compete with it and the finish has shown zero wear over the last three months or so since I've had it back, and that includes hundreds of draws and quite a bit of shooting. I've been very happy with it. Not as pretty as a good blue finish but very tough.

Predator Customs has quite a reputation. If I were going to have something done, I believe that's where I'd go.

I've only been in their old shop once but I was very impressed at the work I saw in their showroom. Great bunch of guy there too, took time out of their day to recommend some local sights and attractions, of course I was there to meet up with Dolomite so that may have been to my favor. Either way I would feel comfortable trusting them with any project I wanted to come out just right.
I dura coated the slide on an xd once. I got the spray kit that doesn't require an airbrush gun and I liked the results. I found it reasonably durable and was only like 40 bucks from Lauer weaponry. I think that it's a decent option, but for how simple it is I wouldn't pay for someone else to do it, personally
Guest Halfling

T&Z Armory does duracoating (among other things). I am currently working with them to duracoat my Lee-Enfield 303 No.4 MK1. Can't brag about their work yet but they come pretty well recommended from some of my friends.

http://www.tzarmory.com/

Edited by Halfling

Im going to give it a shot with Jims in Wautauga.  That guy does some really good work, and since I was able to help him sell 2 guns and a laser he gave me a really good deal.  Not much more than attempting it myself.  Like I said its a boat/car gun so if something goes wrong ohh well some of you told me so.  I will post the results in a few weeks when i get the slide back. 

Thanks for your responses.......

I agree and am much the traditionalist when it comes to this,,, however for what i am using this gun for it might lose that factory finish very quck like..... and on top of that Tarus isnt known for their top quality factory finishes......

will let you all know how this turns out -- should have it back in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
I am pretty sure I am going to send Jim's an old Remington 700 that had water damage. Gone through and replaced crucial parts and trigger, stock. Outer barrel and action look pretty ugly though, hadn't considered chalk board paint that may turn out to be plan A actually...