• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you making?

Am I right to understand...

you're going to weld up a hole...

then drill and tap for a screw...

then weld the screw so it will be sure to stay under pressure?

Will the screw hold an object either on the pressure, or non-pressure side?

What is the max pressure?

Is this regular carbon steel?

You being a "gun type".. I'm starting to think "barrel"?

If so, you're on the right track, because a "plug weld" might have some bleed through on the inside.

Plus it would take more heat to plug weld a hole than to freeze the set screw.

Not knowing the true alloy of the steel... a set screw to fill the hole is the better way.

By you saying... "in steel .125" thick"... are you plugging a front sight hole?

It is the gas block on a Saiga 12. I knocked the plug out on top to drill the ports out for reliability. I have abour 3 complete turns on a 10/32 setscrew and it it holding just fine. The pressure levels are not really as much as what I though they were going to be because in #2 position the hole is blocked by the gas adjustment. It will spend 99% in the #2 position so it isn't a big deal now other than having an extra set screw. I still need to drill the ports out a bit more I think. It cycles but it isn't as aggressive as the Saiga I just got rid of. I like it when it slings the brass 5+ feet.

I got everything set in the Kushnapup stock now. I am going to tear it all down tomorrow and probably paint the gun and make a few minor tweaks.

Of everything the CSS rail that uses the rear sight is a but disappointing. Way to flimsy for my liking but it works. I put a Burris FastFire on it will a laser right in front of it. It works out so well you would think it is one complete unit.

BTW, I would never plug the fron sight hole on a shotgun. I would just cut the barrel down.

It is the gas block on a Saiga 12. I knocked the plug out on top to drill the ports out for reliability. I have abour 3 complete turns on a 10/32 setscrew and it it holding just fine. The pressure levels are not really as much as what I though they were going to be because in #2 position the hole is blocked by the gas adjustment. It will spend 99% in the #2 position so it isn't a big deal now other than having an extra set screw. I still need to drill the ports out a bit more I think. It cycles but it isn't as aggressive as the Saiga I just got rid of. I like it when it slings the brass 5+ feet.

I got everything set in the Kushnapup stock now. I am going to tear it all down tomorrow and probably paint the gun and make a few minor tweaks.

Of everything the CSS rail that uses the rear sight is a but disappointing. Way to flimsy for my liking but it works. I put a Burris FastFire on it will a laser right in front of it. It works out so well you would think it is one complete unit.

BTW, I would never plug the fron sight hole on a shotgun. I would just cut the barrel down.

Pics or, it never happened !

Read right above your post.

Dolomite

LOL... I meant before your #9 post.

Let us know how it comes out and be sure to add the pictures!

Many polish the action on the Saiga 12, some just let it "work in".

Several kits for that model... if you're not having any problems using low base shells, you should be good to go!