Fight continues over National Park carry

Guest DrBoomBoom

Guest DrBoomBoom

My friend Tusker posted this on another forum, it speaks for itself. I urge everyone to spread this around and if you haven't written your congressman, do so, and if you have written your congressman, do it again. I just sent another one off to Jim Cooper.

Here's Tusker's post:

Let the games begin.

The Department of the Interior has extended the comment period on allowing lawful carry of firearms in National Parks until August 8th (it was supposed to end on June 30th).

Why?

Because pro-gun comments have dwarfed the anti-liberty crowd and there are some, including some Congressmen, who don't like that.

The delay allows the dark side to organize against us.

But they underestimate gun owners. We will NOT give in! Instead we will use the delay to continue pounding for carry in National Parks.

--

ACTION ITEM

Spread this alert item on the Internet far and wide so we can get more and more gun owners to send in their comments. Send this to friends, family, coworkers.

If we do that and drive our numbers up, we can continue to bury the other side with pro-liberty comments!

If you have already contacted the Department of the Interior (DOI) to allow carry in parks, DO IT AGAIN!

To comment on the proposed rule, click here:

http://tinyurl.com/5juwn3

For "Submitter's Representative," type in your Congressman's name. Mine is "Congressman Eric Cantor"

For "Agency Type," select: FEDERAL

For "Government Agency," select: DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR

SUGGESTED "GENERAL COMMENT" TEXT:

--

Pursuant to the US Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia vs. Dick Heller, both the existing and proposed National Park Service & National Wildlife Refuge weapons regulations are invalid, unconstitutional and void. The Virginia Citizens Defense League and over 4 dozen co-petitioning organizations advised the Parks service of this as long ago as 2004. Since the holding in Heller is that their total ban on handguns infringes the 2nd Amendment, DOI and NPS should accept the VCDL petition language as follows and implement the regulation IMMEDIATELY after the comment period closing.

Under existing legal doctrine, once a law is held unconstitutional, it is stricken; in the case of the park service CFR 36, regulation 2.4, it is almost exactly the same as the District of Columbia, and therefore void. Further, the DOI proposed regulation with it's flawed "analogous state lands" language and is thereby also in violation since any state level bans on bearing arms in analogous state lands would also be implicated under Heller. The Department of the Interior is hereby instructed to IMMEDIATELY amend the current regulations pursuant to the VCDL petition language, copied below and the decision of the US Supreme court rendered in Heller. The Supreme Court held that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right protecting the rights to keep arms and bear arms which supersedes CFR 36 regulation 2.4.

While I support the proposed change to permit loaded firearms / weapons in National Parks and Wildlife refuges, the proposed regulation should be amended as follows:

"A person may possess, carry, and transport loaded, and operable firearms or other weapons within a national park area in the same manner, and to the same extent, that a person may lawfully possess, carry, and transport loaded and operable firearms or other weapons in the state in which the federal park, or that portion thereof, is located, provided that such possession, carrying and transporting otherwise complies with applicable federal and state law."

And for National Wildlife Refuges:"

A person may possess, carry, and transport loaded, and operable firearms or other weapons within a national wildlife refuge area in the same manner, and to the same extent, that a person may lawfully possess, carry, and transport loaded and operable firearms or other weapons in the state in which the federal wildlife refuge, or that portion thereof, is located, provided that such possession, carrying and transporting otherwise complies with applicable federal and state law."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roger519

you have to here some of the stupid #H!T the anti gun people say to really get steamed up.they make no since at all.remember if i am carrying to protect my family and my self i will be shooting animal's for no reason.