Flash Hider pin/weld to barrel job

Guest JCothron2

Guest JCothron2

I need someone who can do this fairly quickly just put my 14.5" AR together with a BattleComp 1.5 FH, need it pinned to make it legal, any help is much appreciated. Looking in the Nashville Area.

Another option is to solder the joint instead of pinning and welding.  Brownells carries a paste that is high temp silver solder mixed with flux.  Clean threads apply thread on flash hider, heat with torch.  Not terribly dofficult but if your not carefull you can end up with a brittle bond or discolor your barrel/flash hider.  If you choose to solder it it has to be high temp silver solder.

I know nashville armory has a gunsmith they work with but havent personally had any work done by him. 

Jeff walle at guns and leather is probaly one of the best smiths in TN.  His shop is still next to the greenbrier location, which had an unfortunate fire a little while back, but IIRC you can do drop offs at the hendersonville location. 

Clean threads apply thread on flash hider, heat with torch.  Not terribly dofficult but if your not carefull you can end up with a brittle bond or discolor your barrel/flash hider.  If you choose to solder it it has to be high temp silver solder.

Ha, wouldn't it work if you applied the solder then sent 100 rds down the barrel in quick succession?

TMF Possibly if you used the cheap low temp solder.   ATF requires it to be high temp (1100 degree+) silver solder to meet the defnition of permanantly attached.

Didn't know that. I'd think getting over 1100 degrees would surely discolor the barrel and flash suppressor, wouldn't it?

theres a possibility of discoloring the metal.  Some have had great results others not so much.  The best results i have seen used the fusion paste as well as a heat stop paste.  Apply the heat stop paste on the barrel apprx 1/8 of inch past where the FH stops and apply it to all byt the last 1/8 inch of the FH itself.  That way you are only exposig about 1/4 inch of the metal to the torches heat.

Edited to add:  Soldering also has the additional benifit of being easy to remove.  Vise torch and wrench are all thats needed.  It also prevents from having to drill a second spot in your barrel if you ever choose to replace the FH.

Edited by c.a.willard
  • 2 weeks later...

theres a possibility of discoloring the metal.  Some have had great results others not so much.  The best results i have seen used the fusion paste as well as a heat stop paste.  Apply the heat stop paste on the barrel apprx 1/8 of inch past where the FH stops and apply it to all byt the last 1/8 inch of the FH itself.  That way you are only exposig about 1/4 inch of the metal to the torches heat.

Edited to add:  Soldering also has the additional benifit of being easy to remove.  Vise torch and wrench are all thats needed.  It also prevents from having to drill a second spot in your barrel if you ever choose to replace the FH.

Have you done this yourself yet?

Havent done it myself yet.  Havent really had a need for permanently fixed FH.  Had a budy that used it for a rifle that he was waiting on a stamp for. I think he did have a little discoloration but not much.  Ive silver soldered some other stuff just not gun parts.  Started looking into it more when i ordered a PS90 because i think im gonna pull the barrel extension and permanently attach a fake suppressor to meet the required length  thats if the thing ever gets here.  Been waiting since early december so i've had alot of time to go through videos and tutorials

Edited by c.a.willard
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Outpost Armory does it. Can't speak for their quality though. Think they charge 20 bucks.

If they charge $20 with refinishing I dare say you won't find a price cheaper anywhere. I've done my own (only 3 though) and I wouldn't do one for less than that. I've welded mine, no reason to mess with that other stuff if you can weld IMO Edited by KKing
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...