I need to carry more often, so...

Seaslug

...I bought a(nother) new gun. I've been bothered for a while by the fact that I don't carry enough, so I decided to do something about it and take away all of the excuses I've made for why I do not.

First of all, I'm a pretty big guy, but all three handguns that I owned up to this point (Kimber Pro Covert II, Glock 22, Sig P226) are full-size, so they can be a bit cumbersome for CC--especially with as much time as I spend on the road. To complicate matters, I've got 3 jobs and work 7 days a week, and I can't carry while working any of them. So, rather than dealing with the constant putting on and taking off of heavy rigs, I've found myself just going unarmed for the most part. As we all know from reading these forums, this is simply not acceptable! :koolaid:

In an effort to correct this, I've been researching various compact handguns for the last couple of months. I decided to subscribe to the line of thinking that one should carry the largest caliber that one can shoot both comfortably and accurately, so I settled on the 10mm (or .40 magnum, as my buddy calls it). And just who makes a compact-framed pistol chambered for this powerful, man-stopping round? Why, our old friend Gaston Glock, of course! So, without further ado, here she is:

My new Glock 29!

Glock29resized.jpg

I even ordered a new kydex body for the MTAC, so I've got no excuses!

Glock29inMTACresized.jpg

I put 100 rounds (both plinking and hot stuff) through her on Saturday before the rains came, and she's everything I ever dreamed she would be! Now, if I could just get the girlfriend to start speaking to me again...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. How's the recoil feel in the sub-compact?

Surprisingly manageable. To be honest, I perceived the recoil to be less than my .45 (4" aluminum-framed Kimber). I guess this is partially due to the fact that even the hot Doubletap rounds aren't allowed to live up to their full potential when fired from the shorter barrel, plus the G29 is one thick, heavy SOB. I have a hard time calling it a SUBcompact, because it has a substantially larger profile and much more heft than a G26 or G27.

Still, just because I felt the recoil less than I do with the .45 ACP doesn't mean that this gun doesn't bring the thunder. In fact, the Kimber was quite jealous of the deep, booming report of the Doubletap 135 gr. Noslers. Believe me when I say that this gun MOVES things when you shoot them.

All in all, I'm really happy with the purchase, and I can't wait to finish getting her broken in. Ammo is RIDICULOUS, but I knew that going in. I made sure to save all my brass, which is something that I should've been doing all along with all my calibers, so hey, there's an added benefit. Maybe I'll finally get motivated to start reloading! :koolaid:

I've just aquired the big brother to that one in the Glock 30 45 ACP. I haven't got to shoot it yet, but I'm really itching to. I hear they are manageable just like you said about the 40, but I'll be able to report what I think soon. I need to get the MTAC so I can carry mine in a week or so when my HCP arrives. Maybe I'll get to shoot mine tommorrow at Owl Hollow Gun Club.

I've just aquired the big brother to that one in the Glock 30 45 ACP. I haven't got to shoot it yet, but I'm really itching to. I hear they are manageable just like you said about the 40, but I'll be able to report what I think soon. I need to get the MTAC so I can carry mine in a week or so when my HCP arrives. Maybe I'll get to shoot mine tommorrow at Owl Hollow Gun Club.

Not to be nitpicky, but I don't know if the G30 would be considered the "big brother" to the G29 in anything other than model number. They're both built on essentially the same frame, and even though it's a smaller diameter bullet, the 10mm packs significantly more punch than the .45 ACP. That's not taking anything away from the .45 (which is still my second favorite round), but you have to shoot this thing to really appreciate it.

I hope you get to make it out to the shoot tomorrow with that G30. I've never shot .45 through anything other than a 1911, so I'm curious to hear what you think. Good luck, and great choice of weaponry!

Of all of the Glocks... the G36 and G29 have the most appeal to me. The G36 because It's actually shaped better than the others to fit the human hand, and the G29 because 11rd of 10mm in a Compact platform is just damn sexy.

Congrats!

Guest GLOCKGUY

haven't you heard Glocks are just over hyped junk!:rolleyes: ant that the crazies :screwy:thing you ever heard. but anyway that is a sweet looking G-29. i would love to have a G-29 it is on my short list :D

Guest justaman30

That G-29 is one sweet-looking pistol! I have the same dilemma regarding carrying, and need something smaller and more concealable. That one looks real good to me. Enjoy!

I finally got to go shoot my Glock 30 today at the range. It was smooth and very manageable. The pistol shoots as well or better than I do. If your 10 mm shoots as well as my 45, you must be very happy with it. I think the Glock 30 will now be my main carry weapon as I also received my HCP in the mail today. Now, I just gotta get a MTAC so I can put my Uncle Mike's nylon holster back in my unused holster box. Life is good! Makes me wanna go fire up the Jeep.

Guest GLOCKGUY
I finally got to go shoot my Glock 30 today at the range. It was smooth and very manageable. The pistol shoots as well or better than I do. If your 10 mm shoots as well as my 45, you must be very happy with it. I think the Glock 30 will now be my main carry weapon as I also received my HCP in the mail today. Now, I just gotta get a MTAC so I can put my Uncle Mike's nylon holster back in my unused holster box. Life is good! Makes me wanna go fire up the Jeep.

have you went to wal-mart yet :koolaid:

• Administrator
I finally got to go shoot my Glock 30 today at the range. It was smooth and very manageable. The pistol shoots as well or better than I do. If your 10 mm shoots as well as my 45, you must be very happy with it. I think the Glock 30 will now be my main carry weapon as I also received my HCP in the mail today.

WOOHOO!!! :lol:

Now you can finally walk the dog w/o fearing for your life. ;)

Congratulations! I know that it about drove me crazy waiting for my HCP last year. My Dad and I applied at the same time (awww...), but for some reason, he got his in the mail a full month before I did.

As for the Glock, yes, I'm VERY happy with the 10mm, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your .45. I'm impressed that Glock was able to design compact pistols in such large calibers that are both manageable and accurate. I went and had all my parts polished yesterday to smoothen up the trigger pull (still debating about switching to the 3.5# disconnect), and now I'm just waiting on my Dawson Precision fiber optic sights.

Oh, and get the ball rolling on that MTAC. You won't regret it!