Short long gun

jaysouth

This just came back from D&T Custom.  It was a handi in .357 Mag.  It is now a .357 MAXIMUM with the barrel cut back to 16 1/2 inches, a trigger job and a scope rail bedded with glass.  The 3-9X scope is for load development.  Then I get the right loads, it will wear a Weaver V-3 for the woods.

The ideal load will be a 180 gr. spire point bullet around 2100 fps.  I am working up loads with AA1680 and lil' gun.  After the hunting load, I am going to find the sweet spot for 180 gr. cast bullets for range and plinking fun.  As soon as I figure out how to use my new chronograph and get some loads worked up I will post back with a range report.

P3040001_zps7e2f9378.jpg

A couple of years ago I actually found and bought a Remington 7600 Police.  It is a Remington pump rifle in .308 with a 16 1/2 inch barrel.  When fired, you can feel concussive shock in your chest cavity and get seared on both sides.  A deer shot under 20 yards will be cooked medium rare when you field dress it.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago I actually found and bought a Remington 7600 Police. It is a Remington pump rifle in .308 with a 16 1/2 inch barrel. When fired, you can feel concussive shock in your chest cavity and get seared on both sides. A deer shot under 20 yards will be cooked medium rare when you field dress it.

I have the 7615 in .556 and it does the same thing. Everyone at the range always wants to shoot it.

Didn't mean to hijack thread. That is a sweet looking rifle.

Does that need a tax stamp? Maybe I am thinking about shotgun length......Never checked on rifle. Looks sweet though!

Shouldn't as long as it meets minimum length of 26"

It's 16" barrel for rifles along with the 26" OAL.

Very cool gun, got me thinking... Edited by Romad7

Very cool gun, got me thinking...

Very cool gun, got me thinking...

Yes, yes. I didn't feel the need to mention the 16" barrel thinking it was pretty much common knowledge.

I got some cartridges loaded up and went to the range.  The target below was shot with 125 JHPs and 158 Plated over 20.5 grs. Lil Gun.  It was cold and windy.  The gun was more hardy and accurate than the shooter.  I see great things with this little thumper.  When it warms up a little and I can set up my chrony, we will get serious about working up a jacketed hunting load and cast hunting and plinking loads.

357Maxfirsttarget_zpsf57664f4.jpg