Legit signage?

Guest MrSkippyJ

Can't read the other sign but the words below are not according to the "letter of the law",  but I won't be the "test case".   Their intent is clear and I'm afraid a judge/jury will see it that way.  Also, they won't get any of my money out of principle.

Edited by RoadKill

Technically it should be in better view & IMO closer to the entrance door, but it did get your attention or you wouldn't have posted this. Maybe you could have a polite talk with the manager about the signage & you views on carry. After all, a sign won't stop a criminal anyway. It only stops legal gun owners that obey the law. Maybe he will either consider removing it or at least make it more visible at the entrance.

What's the actual sign say, I can only read "warning" since it's so small on the frame?

As for as "legit", there's nothing in 39-17-1359 that exempts you from prosecution just because a store's sign is not complaint to the statute. No test case yet as far as we know, either.

- OS

Guest 270win

Don't encourage the guy to move the sign.  I can't even see what the sign says.  Most people would not even notice that going into the door.

Guest MrSkippyJ
It says "no weapons permitted beyond this point"

Also, it isn't on the left side of the door, so if you walk up from the left side you would never see it.

Oooh my bad. That is an consuming alcohol warning.

Ah, okay, thanks.

So:

- no, "no weapons permitted beyond this point" is not statutorily compliant, regardless of where it's posted

- but 1359 does not say you can't be prosecuted if it isn't

- we can't find a clear cut incidence of a state resident being prosecuted under 1359 at all, for any kind of sign

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

(b)  (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

I'd say around the corner knee high behind a bush doesn't meet this requirement. One could probably also argue that that window is not even part of the entrance since the actual entrance is bumped out from the rest of the building. But as has been stated, there are no test cases and I certainly wouldn't want to be the first one to test it. 

• Like 1

I wish everyone had something like a 1" or 2" sticker that we could leave stuck next to their sign that said "You won't get my $"

They would probably get tired of scraping them off their window and begin to realize how much money they were losing!

• Like 3

I wish everyone had something like a 1" or 2" sticker that we could leave stuck next to their sign that said "You won't get my $"

They would probably get tired of scraping them off their window and begin to realize how much money they were losing!

Then the dude would charge you for vandalism!

Dave S

I posted some "is it legal" pictures in the past and one gentleman had a good point. The intent of the owner is for you not to carry in his establishment. Even if his intentions are misguided, it is his place. So. When i see these now, i will let the manager know my intent was to spend money but wont know and never go back.

I posted some "is it legal" pictures in the past and one gentleman had a good point. The intent of the owner is for you not to carry in his establishment. Even if his intentions are misguided, it is his place. So. When i see these now, i will let the manager know my intent was to spend money but wont know and never go back.

Like I've said before, it doesn't matter what his intentions are. How I choose to defend myself is my choice, and not the choice of someone with no idea about self defense, sorry. I don't let other people make decisions that important for me. If I am walking up on a building and see signage, I'll leave. If it isn't visible from a quick scan over the door, it obviously isn't prominent enough, and I don't worry about it.

I consider restaurants, ect, with people going in and out to be more of public property than say, someone's home. By letting the public come and go, the building isn't as secure as someone's home, so the property owner loses some level of rights in regard to the safety of the public, namely, people that choose to be allowed to defend themselves.

Edited by ab28