.223/5.56/.308 ammo clocks

Guest Mugster

Guest Mugster

Did some clocking today. All the black hills stuff is very accurate. Sub MOA out of my rifles at 100 yards...but who can afford much of it? Taken at the muzzle:

5.56, federal xm193, probably B grade, 07 headstamp (20" barrel): 3295

.223 PMC M193 clone (NOTE: 16" barrel, and a buck and change for 20"): 2885 (very underloaded, ran fine)

South african .223 (I think) headstamped: "DNL 223 REM" (20" barrel): 3095 (almost UMC ball accurate, pretty consistent, ran good ok)

.223, Black Hills 55gr bthp (sierra bullet i think) in WCC cases (20" barrel): 3240

.223, Black Hills 50gr fbhp in WCC cases (barnes varmint grenade bullet at a guess), (20" barrel): 3385 (screamin fast)

.223, federal 50gr fbhp, aebp223g (200 round walmart value pack): 3190, very consistent and pretty fast, accurate, good bang for the buck

.308, 146gr Lithuanian ball (M80) fmjbt, (16" barrel): 2655 (this is fast in a 16" tube), very consistent, SD=12, going to be hard to beat for M80 ball imo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Did you actually time the feet per second? How do you do that? I always hear about certain ammo as being so many fps and figure they must do it in a lab at the factory with all kinds of bells and whistles. Didn't realize the layman could do it. Do tell.

Also, you seem to know your stuff Mugs. What's the best factory loaded ammo for a 308 Saiga?

Guest Mugster
Did you actually time the feet per second? How do you do that? I always hear about certain ammo as being so many fps and figure they must do it in a lab at the factory with all kinds of bells and whistles. Didn't realize the layman could do it. Do tell.

Also, you seem to know your stuff Mugs. What's the best factory loaded ammo for a 308 Saiga?

Factory advertised speeds are not very accurate out of your rifle/pistol/whatever. There's some explainable reasons for this, but frankly, I think some of them elevate their speeds to sell more of their stuff.

I use one of these, and it seems to read pretty accurate (I can recommend it). I got it to clock handloads mostly and see how well I was doing with standard deviation and velocity. If you are interested and shoot indoor, they make an indoor screen that I don't have, but they say it works. Occasionally I have a problem on a cloudy day:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=852429

On the .308, I have to claim i dunno really. All I can say is the lot of lithuanian ball that we have shoots great out of a DPMS panther. For plinking class ammo, my guess is you won't do any better. You might be able to find cheaper though.

The problem with shooting is, the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know. So its all relative :x: