Curio and Relic FFL

Does anyone here have a Curio and Relic FFL? I just heard about them today and read that they are $30 for a 3 year license and it lets dealers send guns directly to you since you have an FFL. It seems to be mainly for collectors of old guns but I was also told that it can give you access to low prices on ammo.

Does anyone have any knowledgeof this type of license?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Does anyone here have a Curio and Relic FFL? I just heard about them today and read that they are $30 for a 3 year license and it lets dealers send guns directly to you since you have an FFL. It seems to be mainly for collectors of old guns but I was also told that it can give you access to low prices on ammo.

Does anyone have any knowledgeof this type of license?

I have one. The ONLY guns that can be shipped directly to you are those that are classified as Curios and Relics. There's a list on the ATF's website. The 03 C&R FFL is completely different than an 01 Dealer FFL. The reason I got mine was because MidwayUSA will give you dealer discount which adds up fast. You can easily save $30 on your first order from them so it can pay for itself quickly.

I have one. The ONLY guns that can be shipped directly to you are those that are classified as Curios and Relics. There's a list on the ATF's website. The 03 C&R FFL is completely different than an 01 Dealer FFL. The reason I got mine was because MidwayUSA will give you dealer discount which adds up fast. You can easily save $30 on your first order from them so it can pay for itself quickly.

How much trouble is it to get that FFL? I would really only want that FFL for the discount price on ammo.

Guest bkelm18
How much trouble is it to get that FFL? I would really only want that FFL for the discount price on ammo.

Easy. Just send off for the forms, when you get them, fill them out, submit one copy to your Sheriff, and one to the ATF, then about two months later you get your FFL. Here's a good website, pretty much outlines how to get it and how to fill out the forms:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Here's where to get the application:

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

Go under applications, then select the Form 7CR 5310.16. The rest is self explanatory.

Edited by bkelm18

I have one. I have saved hundreds of dollars on my purchases from MidwayUSA. I saved $100 on just one scope.

The discounts on ammo aren’t real big. I have never ordered any ammo because I get my “Range Ammo” at Wal-Mart and I have never found anywhere that will beat their price.

I can’t believe that everyone that is into firearms doesn’t have one. Best $30 I’ve spent.

But if you find any good deals on ammo be sure to let us know. :D

The Midway and Brownells discounts are worth it alone. If you shoot a lot...you save BIG time!

It is nice to to pick up a Nagat every now and then. Can have them shipped direct to your house.

I also like the fact that if anyone breaks into my house and walks off with my safe...since I am now an FFL it gets the Feds involved and incurs a much stiffer penalty for the offender if caught.

Easy. Just send off for the forms, when you get them, fill them out, submit one copy to your Sheriff, and one to the ATF, then about two months later you get your FFL. Here's a good website, pretty much outlines how to get it and how to fill out the forms:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

Here's where to get the application:

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

Go under applications, then select the Form 7CR 5310.16. The rest is self explanatory.

I just submitted the request for the app.

Are there any forms or monthly reporting that is required by the ATF after getting the license?

Guest bkelm18
The newest list is May 06-December 07?

I'm not sure I understand how you can use this C&R FFL to by anything other than old guns?

What else can you buy?

That's it. It only allows you to have those C&R firearms shipped directly to you instead of a dealer. That's the only thing it legally allows you to do. It doesn't allow you to buy C&R firearms, you can buy them without the FFL, but without it, you would have to have them shipped to a dealer just like any other gun, but with the FFL you can have them shipped directly to you. Some places, like MidwayUSA and Brownells, give you discounts at their store if you fax them a copy of it.

I just submitted the request for the app.

Are there any forms or monthly reporting that is required by the ATF after getting the license?

Nope, no reporting to the ATF or anything. Only paperwork that is required is that you are required to keep a bound book and must enter every firearm you purchase using your FFL into it. It's kind of like a firearm log. The gigantic package of info the ATF will send you when you get your FFL explains it all.

Edited by bkelm18
I'm not sure I understand how you can use this C&R FFL to by anything other than old guns?

What else can you buy?

When I needed a scope from MidwayUSA the regular price was $679.99; Dealer price was $546.48. That’s $133.51 savings on one item. The lowest price I found locally was $700.

.... The ONLY guns that can be shipped directly to you are those that are classified as Curios and Relics. There's a list on the ATF's website......

Also any firearm 50 years or older that isn't controlled by any other regulation (such as fullauto weapons). I think the ATF is getting so tried of answering this question that they now highlight the wording in RED. See link below.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

Does Not have to be on the list if the firearm is 50 years old. This is a common mistake among many who ask "is it on the C&R list." The list was designed as a "curio" listing that is updated whenever the ATF gets around to it. An example is Pre-64 Winchesters since they have value as a collector firearm. Many aren't 50 years old yet but have been on the "list" since I got my 03 FFL 12 years ago.

BTW - - - Its the best $30 I have ever spent in regard to my Gun-Nut addiction. :rolleyes:

Anyone giving discounts to C&R FFL holders on complete AR uppers?:D

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>DPMS Upper Assembly AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper with Bolt Carrier Assembly 223 Remington 1 in 9" Twist 20" Chrome Moly Matte

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=605 border=0><FORM name=product_page action=http://www.midwayusa.com/eshoppingcart.exe/quickcat><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=9></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=250>trans.gif

<!-- Picture --><CENTER>

</CENTER><!-- Application Charts -->

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=9></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=337><!-- SaleItemID -->Product #: 120468

<!-- Vendor Product Number --><!-- Price -->Dealer Price: $390.99

Retail Price: $453.99</SPAN>

<!-- Status -->Status: Out of Stock

<!-- Shipping Message -->Date Expected In-Stock: 7/28/2008

</TD></TR></TBODY></FORM></TABLE>

Edited by DaveTN
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>DPMS Upper Assembly AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper with Bolt Carrier Assembly 223 Remington 1 in 9" Twist 20" Chrome Moly Matte

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=605 border=0><FORM name=product_page action=http://www.midwayusa.com/eshoppingcart.exe/quickcat><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=9></TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=250>trans.gif

<!-- Picture --><CENTER>

</CENTER><!-- Application Charts -->

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=9></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width=337><!-- SaleItemID -->Product #: 120468

<!-- Vendor Product Number --><!-- Price -->Dealer Price: $390.99

Retail Price: $453.99</SPAN>

<!-- Status -->Status: Out of Stock

<!-- Shipping Message -->Date Expected In-Stock: 7/28/2008

</TD></TR></TBODY></FORM></TABLE>

Thanks! I saw several on Miday's site, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other companies.

I sent my info, via the site, to have the ATF send me an application. I guess we'll see what happens.

That's it. It only allows you to have those C&R firearms shipped directly to you instead of a dealer. That's the only thing it legally allows you to do. It doesn't allow you to buy C&R firearms, you can buy them without the FFL, but without it, you would have to have them shipped to a dealer just like any other gun, but with the FFL you can have them shipped directly to you. Some places, like MidwayUSA and Brownells, give you discounts at their store if you fax them a copy of it.

Nope, no reporting to the ATF or anything. Only paperwork that is required is that you are required to keep a bound book and must enter every firearm you purchase using your FFL into it. It's kind of like a firearm log. The gigantic package of info the ATF will send you when you get your FFL explains it all.

Only gun purchases in the book? Not any other items that I would get a dealer discount on like parts or ammo?

What about that gigantic package of info? Is that just all of the rules for a C&R FFL holder? How detailed is the actual application?

Guest bkelm18
Only gun purchases in the book? Not any other items that I would get a dealer discount on like parts or ammo?

What about that gigantic package of info? Is that just all of the rules for a C&R FFL holder? How detailed is the actual application?

Only firearms **bought using your 03 FFL** go into the bound book because that's all you can buy with the FFL. Again, you only log firearms that you bought using the FFL. For example, you buy an AR-15 from a dealer, that does not go into the bound book, but you buy an M1 Garand and have it shipped to you using your 03 FFL because the M1 is a C&R, that will go into the bound book. Discounts from companies for various parts and whatnot aren't bought using your FFL, the discount is only given to you as a courtesy for being an FFL holder, you aren't actually using your FFL to purchase those items. Yes the giant package has all the rules and stuff for FFL holders. It's mainly geared toward 01 FFLs but it has pertinant info for 03 FFLs including the most up to date list of C&R firearms. The application is easy. One of the links I gave you earlier has step by step instructions for the application.

Edited by bkelm18
Only firearms **bought using your 03 FFL** go into the bound book because that's all you can buy with the FFL. Again, you only log firearms that you bought using the FFL. For example, you buy an AR-15 from a dealer, that does not go into the bound book, but you buy an M1 Garand and have it shipped to you using your 03 FFL because the M1 is a C&R, that will go into the bound book. Discounts from companies for various parts and whatnot aren't bought using your FFL, the discount is only given to you as a courtesy for being an FFL holder, you aren't actually using your FFL to purchase those items. Yes the giant package has all the rules and stuff for FFL holders. It's mainly geared toward 01 FFLs but it has pertinant info for 03 FFLs including the most up to date list of C&R firearms. The application is easy. One of the links I gave you earlier has step by step instructions for the application.

Thanks Bkelm18 so much for all of your help. TGO is one great place to be a part of.

When mailing it to the Nashville Chief of Police, Do I need to actually put Chief Serpas's name on the envelope or just Metro Nashville Police Department? Should I put on the envelope that it is a Curio & Relic FFL application?

Edited by Volzfan