BUIS, Red Dot, and Magnifier

Guest GlockSocks

Guest GlockSocks

I've been researching this all day and have already ordered the parts I wanted for my Bushmaster ORC.  Now I'm second guessing myself if everything is going to work as planned.  I basically want to have BUIS sights, a red dot, and magnifier with absolute co-witness.  Below is what i've ordered...

-UTG Pro Model carbine rail system (I went with non-free floating to save a bit of $$)

After researching, it wasn't worth the extra money and modification the the rig to get the free floating rail system

-Magpul Gen 2 MBUIS rear & front flip sights

-Sightmark 5x magnifier (cheap but decent reviews) comes with slide to side mount

-Strikefire red/green dot (already have this installed and works OK)

-Cantilever mount (to make room on the rail for the BUIS)

Read multiple forums on the one I ordered and it's supposed to be the right height to absolute co-witness

So... The big question is, is all this going to fit?? I've read some horror stories that the rear BUIS sight won't fit on the main rail.  I guess I could put the Strikefire on the front rail?  Would this be a horrible idea since it's a non free floating forearm?   

I'm attaching all of the pictures below of my purchases...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Magpul MBUS and Vortex Strikefire on my AR. Just trying to picture everything you've listed, the Strikefire is most likely going to need to be - at least partially - placed on the railed handguard, I think that's pretty common when a magnifier is used. 

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest GlockSocks

I have the Magpul MBUS and Vortex Strikefire on my AR. Just trying to picture everything you've listed, the Strikefire is most likely going to need to be - at least partially - placed on the railed handguard, I think that's pretty common when a magnifier is used. 

hmm.. Yeah, the mout I ordered is supposed to move the Strikefiire forward but I still think there might be too much on the main rail.  The big question is the handguard going to be stable enouch to put the red dot.  The reviews I've read say the thing doesn't move around but since it's not a free float, I know it will move around some.  Maybe would be a big difference @ 300 yards?  Not sure.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

I have the Magpul MBUS and Vortex Strikefire on my AR. Just trying to picture everything you've listed, the Strikefire is most likely going to need to be - at least partially - placed on the railed handguard, I think that's pretty common when a magnifier is used.

Same setup here. I moved the Strikefire all the way forward on the upper (but no further as I have an MOE handguard) but took the magnifier off before putting my MBUS on. Now you have me curious if it will work together in that position but I have not had any use for the magnifier yet.

Edit to Add - Guess I should have finished reading the thread and looked at the pic above before posting lol. Mine is in the safe and I was too lazy to get up Edited by RedLights&Sirens
Guest GlockSocks

I have the Strikefire and MBUIS. I would have to get a forward can't mount for the red dot to fit a magnifier behind it an not move the red dot to the forearm.

Looks like you have a nice setup there for your forearm though...  Hopefully it will work out with the parts I ordered.  If all else fails, I think I'll be happy with just the BUIS & Strikefire.  Exact same setup you have there. 

Edit -- Random question, was that the standard "extra high" mount that came with the strikefire.  I'm curious if it's going to be 1/3 witness or absolute with what I got with mine. 

Edited by GlockSocks
Guest GlockSocks

Same setup here. I moved the Strikefire all the way forward on the upper (but no further as I have an MOE handguard) but took the magnifier off before putting my MBUS on. Now you have me curious if it will work together in that position but I have not had any use for the magnifier yet.

Edit to Add - Guess I should have finished reading the thread and looked at the pic above before posting lol. Mine is in the safe and I was too lazy to get up

It's supposed to work from what I've read and seen but who knows... It was hard to find out what cantilever to get to make just enough room.  I really haven't seen anyone do this with a 5x but have seen it with a 3x with all three working together.  We shall find out. 

Guest GlockSocks

I guess a 3x+ magnifier would be nice, but I'm quite consistent out to 300 yards (steel plate) with only the screw-in 2x magnifier that came with the StrikeFire. 

Yea, I've played around with the doubler that comes with it.  It works well but I get frustrated screwing it on and off and looking forward to the slide to side mount that comes with the 5x I purchased.  It's going to be a tight fit if it works though. 

Edit to Add - Guess I should have finished reading the thread and looked at the pic above before posting lol. Mine is in the safe and I was too lazy to get up
It's supposed to work from what I've read and seen but who knows... It was hard to find out what cantilever to get to make just enough room. I really haven't seen anyone do this with a 5x but have seen it with a 3x with all three working together. We shall find out.

That's the standard mount. It's absolute co-witness. Yeah I have a YHM free float so I could move it out there if I needed to, but would rather not.
Guest GlockSocks

I have the Strikefire (small world eh?) and bought a 3X magnifier with the flip to side mount.  You'll either have to get a cantilever mount or mount your red dot out on the rail like someone already said.

Word, have the cantilever on order as well but it's a 5x so still might not fit.  Havevn't seen anyone with that scenario as of yet... It's going to be tight.

Edit: what did you do on yours BTW?  Front rail mount or cantilever?

Edited by GlockSocks

Word, have the cantilever on order as well but it's a 5x so still might not fit.  Havevn't seen anyone with that scenario as of yet... It's going to be tight.

Edit: what did you do on yours BTW?  Front rail mount or cantilever?

I do not have iron sights.  I would get the cantilever mount as well.  I don't know how it would work out with the red dot so far forward if you put it on the rail.

Guest Phizzle99GST

just ordered a the vortex strike fire and 3x magnifier from primary arms... the mount for the magnifier I got is a flip to side that will work with my eotech 512. I'll either toss the strikefire on my other AR replacing my Nikon 223 600 or on my M&P22.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Averhoeven

I solved the BUIS with this cheap little set up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006X9DLQM/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 since I have a large Nikon P223 sitting on top.

45 deg off sites that don't cost $200 like the Dueks. I have no idea how well they'll hold their zero cause I just put them on, but I'm happy so far. Charlie looked confused when he helped me sight them in at first. Afterwards I was picking off 1/2 and 1/3 pieces of clay pigeons 50 yards out with ease and speed.

Edited by Averhoeven
Guest GlockSocks

OK, received everything this weekend and the verdict is, it doesn't fit... Not even close, even with the cantilever mount.  I've now switched gears and ordered the PA 3X with swing off mount with the PA cantilever mount for my Strikefire for 1/3 co-witness.  Looking at pictures, this will yield plenty of room... No way to make that 5x sightmark fit with the MBUS without moving the Strikefire to the upper rail.  Tried that and it sits a little higher and didn't like that.   .. O well.. Live and learn, the 5X was a little much for magnification anyway, man that thing will get out there.  May be better for a .308 one day ;-)  I'm sure the 3X I ordered will get out there plenty as well.  

Edited by GlockSocks
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something?If you have to have a magnifiier for your red dot,isn't that a lot of added weight(extra junk)hanging on your rifle?Why not just put a 3 or 4x compact scope on it?I have a Millet red dot on mine now,but would like to have a 3x compact scope like a Nikon P 223 scope.I have a Nikon 3x9x40 ,but it's too bulky.

Jeff

Guest GlockSocks

Yea, I returned everything and went with the new PA magnifier with swing off mount.  Everything fits like a charm now!  My mag sits slightly to the right of my red dot though... I also used the PA cantilever mount.  It's OK though, the new 3X had adjustments left/right, up/down so I got the red dot centered.