anyone use bergers for deer hunting in TN

I am building an all purpose rifle for hunting, I mostly hunt deer here in TN but am planning on an elk hunt in the next few years.  I am building a 300wm and plan on using the 185 hybrid hunters.  I was wondering if anyone has been using bergers to shoot deer at close range?  Are small TN deer tough enough to cause enough expansion to do the job? 

My brother deer hunts with a Weatherby .300 mag., using Nosler 165gr ballistic tips. The golf ball size exit hole is impressive, and as he'll tell you, "I don't eat ribs, and don't have to track 'em."

I use a 7/08 with 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips ... I have to track them...sometimes...but I always find them.

But I will admit, drop dead in tracks is a blessing if you're hunting hills and 'hollars'...especially if you're on the hill and your deer goes down the 'hollar'!

I have used all of the bullets in my 30-06 that you guys have covered, i like the 165 nosler balistic tips.  But I am building a long range rig that will be good for elk and deer and would like to use the same bullet for both.  I have several other guns to take deer hunting if I wanted, but want to practice and use this 300wm as much as possible.  Just wondering if someone had first had experience with the bergers. thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the HSM ammo with the 168 berger vld's in my 308 for years on the deer. All have went down in their tracks or close to it. I always shoot the high shoulder shot with no problems. Little hole going in, little hole going out with massive destruction inside. I love them.