Part time carry

Guest confidence

Because crime only happens when you are totally prepared for it? We had a technical word for these guys when I was a cop, 'victims'.

My opinion: Gun, knife, teeth plus an appetite, or combo of either...You'd better be armed...mind AND body. The Bible basically says that one who doesn't provide for their family is no better than an infidel. (We shouldn't need a religion to state what should be obvious.) Safety is also what the head of a family is to provide. It is not a choice. It is an obligation as an adult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm not religious, but I agree with the sentiment.

Guest 270win

I'm hoping we can get some sort of enhanced permit like folks in Mississippi can now get so that we can be legal carrying at schools.  People in MS take about the same class we take every four years to keep the enhanced permit and can carry just about anywhere an off duty LEO can carry, except police stations, prisons, and jails.  Good deal that we need next legislative session.

Some of you have heard my opinion on this previously, however, I was hoping the "parking lot/trunk carry" bill would change things.  No luck.  As a full time student (ADULT student), I specifically checked with the head of security, and was informed that Tennessee Board of Regents is going to draft "rules" stating that there will be no weapons allowed not only on campus, INCLUDING in vehicles.

Well, worst they can do is expel you. And under what bizarre situation would your vehicle ever be searched in the first place?

And this may well bring up an interesting point legally too, at least for institutions that take state money. Can they discipline a person for merely adhering to state law? Can any other state institution?

Unlike many normal employers, universities have exact employee rules. Can they fire you for any reason, or only breaking those rules? Can they have a rule against something specifically allowed under state law, again, especially ones who derive funding from the state?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest confidence

Only places I don't carry are those that are posted, my father in laws house, and church. Luckily I will be working in a gun shop soon so carrying at work is not an issue.

Excuse me, but your father-in-law POSTS HIS HOUSE??? This sounds juicy. Please tell all...

Awesome that you will be working at a gun shop!

Excuse me, but your father-in-law POSTS HIS HOUSE??? This sounds juicy. Please tell all...

Awesome that you will be working at a gun shop!

A private residence need not be posted. If you don't have express permission, you can't carry there. All he has to do is say so.

I can't carry at work.  However, as soon as I get home I will have 'something' in my pocket, on my belt and/or - if I am just going to be hanging around my yard or at my 'neighbors' (my mom is my neighbor on one side and my sister, BIL and their kids are my neighbors on the other) I might even have something slung over my shoulder.

As far as 'going to a dangerous area', I must admit that I am sometimes guilty of a version of that kind of thought.  But with me, the 'only carry when...' statement is a little different.  In my case I find that, now that I have been carrying for a few years, I often tend to carry my larger/higher capacity handguns and maybe a BUG when I am going to a more 'dangerous' area.  Most of the time, however, when I am going to perceived low-risk areas, I feel that my more easily carried j-frame with a speed strip reload or my Kel Tec P3AT is 'enough'.

Regarding those who don't carry much but usually have something in their car, I'd say that has something to do with TN's restrictive state law as much as anything.  If TN, like many other states, allowed loaded carry in one's private vehicle without requiring a permit I wouldn't be surprised if many such individuals never bothered getting a permit.  IOW, they only got their permit so they could legally keep one in their vehicle, never really intending to truly carry very often, if ever.

Edited by JAB
The only time I do not carry is in the shower or while sleeping (is on the bedside table though) lol.
I need to invent the shower curtain waterproof holster.....
As if the thought of fighting a naked man wasn't scary enough.
Guest confidence

A private residence need not be posted. If you don't have express permission, you can't carry there. All he has to do is say so.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Really? What law is that? Where does it say that in the Tennessee Code Annotated? Never heard of this. Not saying it's not true but just need some more information to back it up.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Really? What law is that? Where does it say that in the Tennessee Code Annotated? Never heard of this. Not saying it's not true but just need some more information to back it up.

Oh, I don't think you'll find anything like that in TCA, and there's not a "default ban" on firearm carry any more than there is on mustaches.

Just more that residential private property owner has pretty much exclusive rights to allow or deny most anything. Assuming they know about it, that is. ;)

- OS

Guest confidence

Only places I don't carry are those that are posted, my father in laws house, and church.

Oh, I don't think you'll find anything like that in TCA, and there's not a "default ban" on firearm carry any more than there is on mustaches.

Just more that residential private property owner has pretty much exclusive rights to allow or deny most anything. Assuming they know about it, that is. ;)

- OS

Well, yeah...I was definitely aware that a private property owner can restrict their property, if they want to. But yeah, like you say, the idea that you are blocked from carrying there by default would be pretty absurd, lol.

+1 on your comment about concealment. ;) The conversation never needs to come up if they never know it's there...

- OS

Just for the record, concealed mustaches are banned on my property.
  • Like 1
Guest confidence

This has been very informative for me to hear about different people's life situations. Thank you to everybody for sharing. I must say, I can understand people's individual reasons more clearly now. I also have come to further appreciate my employer through this thread, as they allow me to carry a firearm! That changes a lot!

- OS

I'd swear I read that in TCA once upon a time... but of course I can't find it now.  Something to the effect that the owner of a residence only has to say no.  :shrug:

I'd swear I read that in TCA once upon a time... but of course I can't find it now.  Something to the effect that the owner of a residence only has to say no.  :shrug:

1359 posting statute used to read differently, mentioned the verbal component as sufficient, ya might have been thinking of that, although still not intended to cover private residence.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest PapaB

If I am ... going out to drink with friends and wearing pants then I am carrying. 

You mean you might go out to drink with friends and not wear pants? :stunned:  :panic:

TMI, TMI. :stir:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Edited by PapaB

I can't carry at work, so If I'm not going to work, at work, or coming home from work,  I carry. I don't feel comfortable without it.

Pretty much the same here.  The only difference is I'm armed going to and from work.  I just lock it away in the trunk before entering the building.  I typically don't leave home without it.  Feels very uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

For private residences, I would pretty much ignore any rule I find absurd. Worse they can do is tell you to leave. I don't really go anywhere, anyways, besides school. My general rule is I only don't carry somewhere where I would get jail time if I got caught. Otherwise, I carry.