I think I know how to stop resellers

I came to the conclusion that I had been hoarding too much ammo so I decided to sell some. I put an add on armslist and gunownersclub for 9/40/38 ammo for $20/50 rd box all of it was brass case fmj of reputable manufacturer. This was on average what I paid for it, I think I had closer to $17 in some of the 9mm. To make matters simpler I had $12 a box in some Viper 22lr 100rd boxes but decided I would post it for $20/100 as well.

Ok here is what happened the center fire catridges sold all about evenly, I made a couple of dollars on the 9mm only. I probably lost a few dollars on the various .38's. The 22's were the last to sell, I met one guy who wanted two boxes of the four. When I met him I told him they were listed for $20 but $12 is all I needed for them. So he got two boxes for $25.

So if a bunch of us will flood armslist, gunownersclub, and other sites with ammo for sale it will discourage resellers. If you get someone legitametly wanting a box sell it for less to help your fellow man.
  • Like 1

I saw a guy on one of those sites giving away 22lr just to show people how silly the resellers are.

I have seen it here also, I gave away some 357 sig to a friend who said his other buddy couldn't find any. My concern is that if I legittimatly sell ammo or give it away it will reappear for sale to make a profit.

well sell it here if you got more...!

also, how you know that nice fella that bought it is not going to double his money tomorrow, out of sheer curiosity?

Well the 22 I speak of they were willing to pay an inflated price $20/100 but when I met them I told them 12 is all I needed. Resellers are not going to hassle with 22 ammo they think will cost 20/100. They could only sell it for that if not only a dollar more.
Also maybe people will read this post and thinking those reselling gougers are doing this and try to talk them down. Edited by Patton

I got some I been meaning to put on the classifieds here at cost. I'll try and get the figures together tonight. Got a bunch of cheap 22 Remington, some not so cheap Aguila,  Colibri and the super Colibri,  Eley in different flavors, 22 mags,  and such. Probably close to 4k rounds. 

Here is the reason I say all of this, some of my family have supplemented their incomes for years buying and reselling odd stuff(not ammo). Normally they start loosing out when 1.others find the source and the market is flooded with people reselling the same product. or 2. People aren't buying the product.
If a lot of people resell ammo, even if it is only 5-10% cheaper, their market will dry up. It is not the shooters buying from price gougers it is people needing 22's for their kids to shoot or those needing a box of ammo for a HCP class or for the new self defense gun. I think the market for resellers is about dried up, more competition will put them out.

As long as there is a demand for something, there will be a black market/secondary market for it. The only way to minimize the effect of resellers is to either decrease the demand or flood the supply line.

Since the larger retailers (Wal-mart, Cabelas, Academy, Midway, etc) can't even keep ammo in stock, flooding the supply line is not currently an option. The bottleneck is at the manufacturing/distribution end.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

the economics of consumable items (vs durable goods) is also different.  There is no way to meet demand if the consumption rate is greater than the production rate, for a basic example of the obvious.   That makes reselling ammo different from reselling beanie babies or the like.  

• Like 1
Guest KCampbell
My self and some other folks that are members of a Facebook gun owners group have been keeping each other informed when we find ammo somewhere.We will buy that 1 box of whatever caliber ammo and get it to another member that needs it along with the recipient.No mark up nothing just the satisfaction a shooter that needs it is getting it and not a reseller.I am comfortable none of the group resells at a profit.I'm good on ammo so I pass everything along I find here lately and several others do the same.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Just let stupid people continue on.  Next time, buy 20 years of ammo, and be comfortable.  That is what I have done.  Lessons learned from years of being in guns and shooting.  This time I added reloading, so I am very secure with my ammo.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I promise I'm not in the market to resale .357 Mag ammo! I just got a rifle chambered in that caliber, and went into shock when I saw some of the prices. I'll reload it as soon as I get my brass built up... but right now, I'm having a hard time finding any .357 Mag ammo at Wal Mart prices. I've waited in line at WM for as long as 6 hours, and narry a round when all of the trucks were unloaded! Anybody got any they'd part with? If so, let me know your quantity and price... and location. I'm in Murfreesboro... and hope I can find some in the local area. Thanks.