What do I need to start reloading....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mainly load handgun calibers. I got my start with a Dillon Square-Deal-B. The SDB doesn't have dies available for long guns. The price makes it very appealing if you only want to reload for handguns. I use a single stage press for long guns.

First thing I would recommend is to get together with someone that reloads and watch them. I learned much more from discussions, etc with someone that reloaded than I did by reading anything. Get a good reloading manual and make sure you are comfortable with the whole process before you start. Go slow and be careful.

One good piece of advice I got early on was to select powders that make it impossible to double charge a case. This way you know that you cannot double charge -- which is one of the easist ways to grenade a gun.

I'll have to look up all my reloading links. I haven't bought any reloading equipment in ten years or more. Good equipment will last for years (and years).

I have a Lee single stage press and I use Lee dies. I, too, only load for handguns, specifically .38 spl, 9mm, and .45 acp.

To start (besides the obvious) you will need ...

case tumbler and media separator - need to clean your brass

good caliper - don't get plastic, get a metal one

scale

powder measure

primer pocket cleaner

reloading book with load information

As Bubba said, get with someone who reloads so you can watch and use the equipment. I did that and that was 100x better than reading reloading books. I still recommend reading because there's important info you will need.

Also as Bubba said, powder selection is important. I've only reloaded for about 2 months and I've only used Accurate. I use #2 for .38 spl, #5 for 9mm, and #7 for .45 acp. I've tried different loads with those 3 powders for all 3 calibers, but settled on the powder/caliber combo that I just mentioned. The powder/caliber selection that I've decided on is good because it's obvious if I double charge because I would probably not be able to seat the bullet because the shell would be almost full of powder. Also, the steps that I follow would not permit me to double charge except if I was careless.

Prior to me reloading, every time I went to the range I talked with people to "pick their brains" about reloading. Actually, I still talk with people. I found out the other day that I could do something a little different/better with my .38 spls.

Hope this helps.

Guest Spuds

Most all of the equipment manufacturers have their following. Economy minded folk love Lee stuff. Quality minded folk and those for whom price is no object love Dillon. Folks who like to be different go the Hornaday and Lyman route. Of course there are other reasons for choices and I'm being a bit sarcastic, but the long and the short of it is there are so many considerations that it's really an individual choice.

Some considerations:

Warranty - I think Dillon and RCBS have a lifetime replacement warranty. Lee has a 2 year warranty. Don't know about others.

Dies - Redding makes awesome dies, but you pay for them.

Type - Gonna buy once? Or learn on single stage and then go progressive? If going once, buy something solid like an RCBS Rockchucker or even Dillon. Gonna learn and then invest in better equipment, Lee is likely fine. There are plenty of folks who swear by Lee stuff and use nothing else, but there are just as many who swear at Lee stuff. You'll not find detractors of most of the other brands, except for folks who gripe about price.

Don't be swayed by folks who say you shouldn't start on a progressive. You can use a progressive as a single stage just fine, I do it with my Dillon 550B.

I've got the 550B, a Lyman T-Mag 1 Turret press and a RCBS Rockchucker. None were purchased at retail, used equipment is out there if you have the patience to wait. The waiting time can be consumed with reading about reloading, most all of the books are great. Lee's Modern Reloading is a good cheap book to start.

Guest NormShaver
Thanks guys for all the info...I think I will start by clearing off the bench and buying a book...anyone reloading in the Knoxville area?

not yet, i am in about the same boat as you right now, reading and hoping to find someone to learn from.

Norm

Spuds makes a good point. You can get used equipment. I'm sure you can probably find something on EBAY.

Everyone told me single stage to start. The Lee single stage press was only $25 that I'm using. Most people I've talked to that use progressive presses, say that they do have a single stage for decapping or whatever. That's why I'm not too concerned about the $25 I spent on my Lee single stage.

Right now, I cannot justify the cost of buying a progressive press. I'd love to get a Dillon, but the break even point could be a couple years. If I'm able to shoot more, then I'd be able to justify the cost.

I have been going through alot of these same questions. I have finally decided to order hornady lock and load progressive. I have compared it to the dillon 650 and both have great reviews and seem to have great service as i have called both companies with my questions. going with hornady is going to save me about several hundred dollars by the time i have everything i want. the one thing i can say i like better about the dillon press is their power check system looks much better than the powder cop die horniday offers.

I hope to have everything in by next weekend. if you would like to meet up ill be happy to share any info i have. I dont have any experience to offer regarding how to load but could give you an opportunity to put your hands on some of the equipment.

Guest sling

The hornady progressive is a nice press and IMO a better deal than the 650. Its just that darn ejector wire on the last stage thats the bugger sometimes.

The hornady progressive is a nice press and IMO a better deal than the 650. Its just that darn ejector wire on the last stage thats the bugger sometimes.

I forgot to mention on top of the better value hornady is also giving a 1000 bullets for free via mail in rebate if you buy the press.

The ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier is a great book to start on. There is a

7th edition out. I got mine off Amazon.com. You can get new and used books

on the subject there.

Most of the powder manufacturers give reloading data off their site for free.

+1 on buying used equipment.

Edited by R1100R

Midway USA has the Lee anniversary kit for $70 right now. Get this and learn the ABCs of reloading...the best way is to start slow and learn the mechanics of the process no matter how savvy you are.

Hands down that is the best deal in reloading. Get it with the dies in the same order...you will not regret your purchase.

Im gonna order mine from midwayusa when i get home tonight. it is currently on sale. What calibers are you planning to load. You will need to get a shell plate and dies for each caliber.

Gotta go with the Dillon SDB. The no BS warranty is the way to go. What are you loading for? Pistol,Rifle? Plinking, competition? 9,40,45,223,308? Alot of variables with each round. I use a SDB in 9,40, and 45 for IPSC,IDPA and Steel Challenge. If you are loading 40, be careful and take your time. It's a high pressure rd that can be doubled charged if you are loading on a non progressive press. Pick your powders wisely. Heavy bullets and fast powder in 9 and 45 feel great as far as recoil goes. In 40, it can and is done all the time but it is pushing the pressure envelope to the max. Load as long(OAL) as the mag will let you. This helps decrease a little pressure. there is ALOT of extremely good info in the reloading section on brianenos.com. Take a look.

DaG

Dillon Square-Deal-B... I got one a few weeks ago... my wife is better at reading instructions and no Bull she made me some awesome ammo last week... It blows away Mag Tech..... WWB.... and I think it's better than the ammo I got from NSK match ammo... The first batch was not so good only made 25 rounds and some did not fit right ..the second batch 160 rounds worked perfect & at 30 yards did some great groups..once you get the hang of it ...she made 130 rounds in no time..

Dillion has great customer service and will help if you call them.....

Nosler 185 grain JHP......Clays powder 4.2 grains.....Winchester primers... & my Brass that I saved....WWB & Meg Tech....

One thing cool about reloading is that the bullet is assembled by you every step of the way. I have been reloading for over 20 years and have had "many" varieties of presses (currently Hornady Lock-N-Load & a Classic), however, the one constant is that I actually enjoy reloading just as much as shooting - since I'm really producing my own custom rounds for each caliber I shoot. I can spend hours weighing and measuring and just enjoy the heck out of it. Oh you do save quite a bit of $ compared to most production ammo prices, however the accuracy of hand loads is much better. IMHO

What do you think your savings was or cost per round?

I figured with .38spls using AA#2 and 125JSP, my cost was approx $6.25 per 50.

It was roughly the same cost for the 9mm that I reloaded.

Based on today's retail, my savings was obviously better for .38 spls.

Haven't figured my cost for .45 acp yet.