Saw a great 1911 yesterday,

bubbiesdad

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread Fail.

No pictures? No details? No interesting history? No range report?

Come on man...you cant start a thread like this without details. :)

I can get a picture, as the gun belongs to my father. I don't know about a range report. I think it is a "safe queen".

Guest NormShaver

i have a very old 1911 as well, was my great grand fathers, i belive not sure it was made before 1918 from the serial #'s i will post a pic tomorrow have to get it out of the safe where it has been for many many years.

Guest EasilyObsessed

To get the pictures started....

RandomMay07004.jpg

RandomMay07003.jpg

This was carried by my Grandfather in WWII. I even have the receipt showing his purchase of the gun from the government for the hefty sum of $38 :P I need to get some better photos taken of it. Those were taken with a crappy point and click camera.

Guest grimel
To get the pictures started....

This was carried by my Grandfather in WWII. I even have the receipt showing his purchase of the gun from the government for the hefty sum of $38 :P I need to get some better photos taken of it. Those were taken with a crappy point and click camera.

The pictures are just fine! The old guns have character and history. Better pictures would just cause some lust, envy, and greed.

I shot my friend's father Korean War 1911. I already had my Kimber so when I shot his 1911, what a noticeable difference. You can feel the slide wiggle back then wiggle forward. I wouldn't complain about that if I had one though. A "collector" gun with some history behind it is priceless.

Guest gcrookston

A real beauty. Made 1919... Part of the first (and final), full delivery that year by Colt. The left grip is a replacement, but over-all a superb piece. Congrats!

The old 1911's with the 'shake and rattle' slide is what passed the Army trials. Drop them in the mud and they keep running. When we try to make the guns into target guns we loose the reliablity. I don't think anyone has overcome that problem.

Guest grimel
The old 1911's with the 'shake and rattle' slide is what passed the Army trials. Drop them in the mud and they keep running. When we try to make the guns into target guns we loose the reliablity. I don't think anyone has overcome that problem.

The old 1911's didn't rattle and roll until they had been through the armory a few times. Even then, they still shoot more than well enough for defensive purposes.