Upcoming C.I.S. Defensive Carbine

Guest Todd@CIS

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Gentlemen, I'm going to postpone my participation until 2009 so that I can get my SBR finished, dialed in and stockpile ammo. I came >THIS< close to taking Todd and dunndw up on their generous offers to borrow a carbine for the class, but I'd still be out the cost of ammo and tuition at the moment.

Funds that presently need to be applied to finishing up this silly SBR and, as my wife keeps reminding me, putting furniture in the nursery. :popcorn:

I look forward to reviews from the class and any photos that may be taken along the way! :)

Nevermind.

Found a loose description on your website.

Defensive Carbine

This 2 day course starts with a lecture on firearm safety, legalities of deadly force, proper mindset, shooting fundamentals, loading / unloading / reloading, zero trajectories, malfunction clearance, transitions to pistol, shooting while moving, shooting from various positions, use of cover, dealing with multiple threats, and gear selection.

Defensive Carbine continues with live-fire range drills that reinforce the topics covered in the classroom.

Although there are no prerequisites for this course, it is recommended that all students be somewhat familiar with their weapons before attending.

$200.00

Guest earthworm

I've taken C.I.S.'s Defensive Pistol class & know both instructors.I garn-dang-tee if you come you'll have fun,learn a few things,& put your equipment to the test.

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed the Defensive Rife class with CIS and thought I would add a quick review for some of the other folks on the forum.

This is my second class with CIS and will not be my last. The quality of training is comparable to other folks that are charging twice the price. On top of that they are local and are great guys to train with.

Day one consisted of a half day of class covering topics such as mind set, legal aspects of self defense and safety. Some videos are shown to emphasize why some law abiding citizens choose to carry guns. There are people out there who do not have your best interest in mind and will try to take all you have from you without hesitation. The mind set discussion is also key for anyone carrying a firearm. A firearm is not a talisman to ward off evil spirits, you must be prepared to utilize it if necessary. Safety is not taken lightly in CIS classes. As Todd says, "Everyone needs to leave with the same amount of "piggies" they arrived with." Safety is THE most important factor in a firearms class and was reiterated all weekend. The latter half of day one started with some dot drills then checking zeroes on rifles. After some help from Dustin, my AK was dialed in. Although, it was a little warm day one was a good start to the weekend.

Day two started with shooting from different positions: kneeling, prone, and supine. I thought the P.I.A.(its what your thinking) drill was fun with a pistol, well the addition of a rifle and gear makes it much more interesting. The day continued with malfunction drills(which don’t happen often with an AK), weapons transitions, shooting on the move/around cover, and a whole lot of trigger time. I don’t think I shot the full 1k rounds but I came very close. Some folks may let the round count scare them but in a class of this nature it is a necessity. The different drills will definitely show you the things you need to work on. Mistakes are made and the instructors talk TO you about them not down to you. Although, they may use you as an example its all a learning point for the class and not done in a demeaning manner.

A quick word on gear, a class like this will let you know what works and what doesn’t. Just because it looks cool in a magazine does not mean it will work. I was shooting a Romanian AK that only the hand of God could stop. It ran flawlessly for 2 days with no cleaning in between. This was my first time training with the AK platform and was very pleased. Also, for you AK guys if you don’t have a set of X/S Big Dot Sights on your rifle, get some, they are the heat. The Shihan chest rig was exceptional as well. Comfortable to wear and mags are accessible even when prone. I did learn that shooting with gloves is more difficult, trigger reset is hard to feel(need to practice).

Sorry, long post. Overall, a great class. I found some things I need to work on and new ways to perfect them. Todd & Dustin are offering great training at an exceptional price. For those of you that are contemplating taking a class, stop doubting and sign up. If you have made the decision to carry a firearm then some type of training is truly an investment in yourself and your family.

Thanks again to Todd, Dustin, and the other guys in the class.

On a side note: Todd will also begin his new line of Death Merchant slip on shoes. Coming to a store near you.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 459KB.DSC02028.jpg

Guest earthworm

Also my second course with C.I.S. & won't be my last either.

I found the course very similar to the Defensive Pistol course but more difficult;particularly the various shooting drills.DEFINATELY a test of one's equipment!-I quickly learned that any load-bearing vest/suspenders beats an over-the-shoulder pouch.Ditto the AK:the barrel of mine got too hot to touch & kept spittin' 'em out.Good test of self as well:hate to admit it but my eyes & I ain't what we used to be.

Kudos to Todd & Dustin for,as in Defensive Pistol,not stopping drills when someone (including yours truely) fumbles:"Keep Going! Work through it!".

Only complaints I have are the biscuits at breakfast were kinda hard & short range time:neither of which is under Dustin & Todd's control.

Guest earthworm

Range time was 12n-3p Saturday,8a-3p Sunday.Range time is controlled by the base commander,who sets hours & allows access at his pleasure.

This time was adequate to run all drills enough to become familiar with the drill.Obviously more range time would allow for more repetitions & maybe some 'playtime' after class,but this is enough time to get the movement etc of each drill down.

Guest Trenchknife

Hi Everyone,

I also took the CIS carbine course on Sat & Sun. This was the first type of course that I've ever taken. I thought that I was knowledgable about rifle shooting. I learned very quickly how little I really knew. The thing that impressed me the most about Todd and Dustin was their professionalism, knowledge, attention to students, and most of all safety. I felt that this was some of the best money I've spent in a long time. And for anyone who's wondering if they should buy more gear or their 5th or 6th AR15 rifle. Don't, take a course like this from CIS or someone else you feel will meet your needs, buy ammo, and practice, practice, practice!

Thanks CIS guys, I will be taking your other courses!

Kind Regards,

Kirk

Edited by Trenchknife