S&W SW1911sc - Can you find me a better option?

Guest mechanically

Guest mechanically

So, I'm enjoying my first ever 1911 quite a bit lately. It's an early 90's Springfield A1, with the teeny little sights and everything. 

But, it's one of the most natural-pointing things I've yet handled. Really like it. 

For EDC I have a Shield .40 that I like a lot. I am still working hard to be as accurate with it as I'd like, and training for a stressful situation is helping. I wear a tie every day, and in Chattanooga, there's no way I'm wearing a sport coat or additional layer most months. In a PJ Holster tuckable (amazing, and worth the wait!) that little Shield just disappears. It helps that I'm 6'5", but I like that it's nearly invisible. 

But, when I'm not all tucked in, I am sorta itching for a carry 1911. 

I have carried my Springfield (IWB, untucked shirt on the weekends) several times recently, and it was surprisingly comfortable. I wouldn't mind if it was a little shorter, and maybe if the butt didn't intrude on my slightly ample midsection quite so aggressively.  

And, I've discovered the SW1911SC. I like S&W, I think they make good stuff. 

My question to the greater TGO community is: are there other options I should consider before going whole-hog after the 1911sc? I'm realizing the 1911 world is so broad, there are probably tons of things out there I'm missing, and thought you folk might lend me a hand. 

How about a few criteria to help:

Pros

• I like the 4.25" barrel. Shorter than that, and I think it looks "wrong." Gov't length adds challenge to sitting down...
  • Good night sights already included
  • BobTail not only looks beautiful to me, but is a functional benefit to my kidneys
  • Alloy frame keeps my belt from sagging quite as much
  • Single stack keeps me looking as svelte as possible

Cons

• It has an ambi-safety. No offense to my southpaw friends, but I'm a righty. All the ambi safety does for me is increase the likelihood of it being flipped off by my seatbelt, chair back, door frame, etc... (hey, anyone know what it would cost to ditch the ambi? Can I DIY a regular safety?)
  • It is a LOT of money to me. I realize there are $4k 1911's out there, but I've never spent more than about $500 for a handgun. Ouch!
  • Fish scale treatment is love-or-hate. I think I like it, but it's a little off the beaten 1911 path for some

So, given those parameters, anything else I should look at?

I'll probably kick a few ideas around for a few days before I start posting WTB ads here and there. 

Thanks for your contributions!

The 1911sc is a nice gun (never shot one but per reviews and my experience with the other s&w's, seems to be a great gun).

Another option for a lower price point is the Ruger SR1911. Everyone I've talked to and read says it is a solid 1911. An upgrade from the SA 1911 GI for sure, and won't break the bank.

To be honest, if I'm going to be spending ~1500 for a 1911, I'd rather just spend more and either get a custom built or a Nighthawk. The mid-range 1911's I've owned from most of the major manufacturers just always seem to never leave me 100% satisfied. I'd rather either spend more for 100% of the features I want, or spend less and get a solid gun I can depend on that isn't 100% what I want, but I'm 100% satisfied with because of what I get for what I paid.

That being said, check out the lesse expensive SR1911 and compare and see what you like. Or check out something a little more expensive that you don't have to customize and see what you'd like (Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, etc.)

I dont think ya can beat any of the "today" 1911's; no matter the flavor.  I like the lightweight models myself.  I would love to have a full size lightweight; but ive got other places to put the dollars to...., sadly... .  The CNC tooling revolution has made all the currently made 1911's better than the old colts and essex put togethers were; even those "tuned" by custom gunsmiths.  You could quibble a bit about the bullseye guns like the Gold Cups and the custom target pistols; but i believe the EDC, "reliable" older gunsmithed pistols aint as good as todays off the shelf pistols (...i think...) due to the ease in getting the close tolerances needed for them without a gunsmith rubbin on the parts to tighten them up.  The CNC tolerances are that good.

I say:  Pick out the 1911 ya like with the features ya like for the price ya like; and start shootin.  Ya cant do better as to power, lethality, nor quick rounds on target.  That's why the military likes 'em.  If they were good enough for the great Frank Hamer, they are good enough for any gunfight.  You will enjoy it.  If it hiccups a bit; take it to a local 1911 smith and he can fix anything that needs tweakin a bit; and you will be in business; either as a defensive handgun or for fun.

I carried a lightweight commander (...Colt...) for a while in the "old days"; they are great carryin gun.  I put mine up and switched to glocks because glocks are cheap and the 1911's are gettin too valuable.  I couldnt countenance the possibility of my beloved 1911 sittin in an evidence locker for several years if (...God forbid...) I had to use it in a defensive shootin.  I dont care about the glocks; they are like a hammer or handsaw; but they work very well and carry very well.

Enjoy.

leroy

Edited by leroy
Guest mechanically

Good advise, thanks!

As usual, it seems my interests lie in the more unusual categories. I'm used to having to hunt around to find what I like.

I went ahead and posted a wanted ad for a bobtail, we'll see what shakes out of the bushes!

If i were getting a 1911 for carry, I would not get a S&W or a Sig simply for the fact of an external extractor, where the 1911 was designed to function properly with an internal extractor.

I personally want an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry but they are very pricey.

I second the Ruger SR1911 commander.
  • Like 1
Guest mechanically

I really like the Ruger design a lot. Seems to have good proportions, and I hear good things about value-for-money.

But... No bobtail...

I've seen on a couple formus where folks have bobtailed their own, and I'm sorta kicking that idea around. Anyone here ever done their own?

Guest drv2fst

I had a S&W 1911sc and really liked it.  I plan on getting their bobtailed newer model when I can.  The lightweight sc made that a carryable 1911 for me.  If mine had the bobtail, I would still own it.

Mine was very reliable and accurate. 

Guest mechanically

I had a S&W 1911sc and really liked it.  I plan on getting their bobtailed newer model when I can.  The lightweight sc made that a carryable 1911 for me.  If mine had the bobtail, I would still own it.

Mine was very reliable and accurate. 

That's really good to hear. 

But, given that these are tricky to track down, I'm now considering trying to find a Ruger and bobbing it myself... Could be an epic project, or a disaster waiting to happen? I haven't made up my mind yet...

I purchased a SW1911SC a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier with the performance and size. It's a great every day carry weapon, the sights and grips are spot on for my large hands. Besides being a good looking gun it is fun to shoot and easily concealable.

I bought an Ed Brown Bobtail Mainspring housing for an all stainless S&W1911 full size. I bought the jig from Ed Brown as well. It took a little time and some hacksaw and file work to get the frame down close and then I finished up with emery cloth. It turned out very good but I ended up trading it in for a Sig TACOOPS with threaded barrel. While I miss the bobtail frame, I love the Sig. The Bobtail isn't as big an issue now as I carry a G23 as my EDC. Since the Sig has the Nitron finish it isn't practical for me to bob it. I may eventually do a SR1911 in commander size. Do yourself a favor and only do this on a stainless frame gun unless you want to spend a lot on a refinishing job for your frame.
Guest mechanically

I've been thinking a Commander SR1911 would be the way to go, since stainless lends itself to DIY, and it's on the affordable side of "nicer" 1911's.

We'll see if I can track one down somewhere. As with most of my want list, all it takes is time...

Appreciate all the feedback!

If i were getting a 1911 for carry, I would not get a S&W or a Sig simply for the fact of an external extractor, where the 1911 was designed to function properly with an internal extractor.

I personally want an Ed Brown Special Forces Carry but they are very pricey.

I second the Ruger SR1911 commander.

EXACTLY !!!! The original 1911 never had an external extractor. That is the only reason I would not get the S&W 1911. I have learned over 20 years to never stray away from the original design of some things or else things may happen that may not be good. I carry an Spring Armory Mil-Spec 1911 . Just plain jane as you can get . It has been 100 % reliable.  Mechanically, your Springfield from the 90's sounds awesome .

Edited by tercel89

There are 1911s, and then there are the red-headed stepchildren.  For carry, you have double stack 1911s, you have them in 9mm.  You have many strange sizes and shapes.  

So my advice is to take a long, hard look at the "carry" "1911ish" pistols and see if there is something you like even better!  

I currently carry the sig 938.   I like the colt defender a lot.  Para's nighthawg or whatever the small one is may be of interest.   The main point here is not to recommend anything at all so much as to say there are things out there that you may love that are not the classic 45 caliber only 2 sizes fit all only pure variety.   The not quite 1911s offer smaller sizes and higher capacity, or both, with the classic trigger and action in a carry friendly frame.

That said, if you *want* and love a pure 1911, that works too.  But before you bust out your wallet, at least look!