Outdoor range with 'action pits'......

I'm hoping this is in the right place....if not the mod's can move it......

So back in Vegas I belonged to a range that has 'action pits'....and I'm looking for a range with a similar setup in Tn....I'm living close to Nolensville, but willing to drive an hour+ to the right place....

For those of you that haven’t heard of an ‘action pit’ the best way I can describe it as a range within a range….10-20 yds wide, 25+yds long with high berms on the sides and one end….basically you can practice drawing, moving, and concealment from anywhere in the pit as long as you’re target is at the end berm…..

Oh and if the range allows steel all the better.....I've got a few pieces of AR550 that I love to shoot........

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TN

We do that all the time on our action pistol range just to the NE of Memphis. I'm not really sure how far you are from W TN

Opps, sorry Mongo.  I see you're from the Nashville area. so prob too far of a drive.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower

There is a match on Saturday out in Dickson.  Not a range per se, but a good place to go shoot in a similar format.  It's very reasonable and within the distance you want.  probably 1:15 from Nolensville.  Just take 840 around to Dickson.  It's a good group and it is run well.  Link to match info is below.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/66563-run-n-gun-match-music-city-tactical-shooters/#entry982959

Edited by Hozzie

I'd love to find one as well.  I want to go to a range and rent an action pit for the day.  I'll setup my steel and my targets, clear/reset my targets when I want, etc etc.  If such a place exists within an hour and a half of Nashville, please let me know.   Or if someone has some property and wants to setup a range, I'm game for that too. 

I used to go to a range in KY that had a completely separate range "down the hill" away from the main range and you could reserve it if you had 8 or more shooters.  We would setup mini-steel and IDPA matches.

I don't know that I'm ready to shoot IDPA/USPSA yet, but I have considered it....in just like to get out and "practice" once or twice a month.....guess I may start looking for a piece of dirt to buy/lease .......

I don't know that I'm ready to shoot IDPA/USPSA yet, but I have considered it....in just like to get out and "practice" once or twice a month.....guess I may start looking for a piece of dirt to buy/lease .......

There are shooters of all skill levels, some are really good, some not so good. I find it very good training to just watch the tactics of the guys that shoot really well and then try some of their techniques.  As long you can follow some basic rules (which are common sense for the most part), you will have no trouble at all.  For $20, your ammo, and gas over there, it is a great way to spend part of a day.   A lot cheaper than buying or even leasing land.  I completely understand wanting to practice on your own as well.  I luckily have a place to do that, but the matches are fun.