Casting Bullet question

So I finally received this mold from Midway.

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL356-124-2R 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 380 ACP (356 Diameter) 124 Grain Tumble Lube 2 Ogive Radius

So its supposed to be a 124 Gr bullet, but mine are rolling out 127.50 to 128 grains...

Is it still okay to use load data for 124 gr lead bullets?

It spits out a pretty consistent bullet .3565, but it looks a little goofy in the brass.

null_zpsd7a18def.jpg

It's fine. Most molds vary just a bit, you can switch alloys, even casting technique and temps can cause weight variations. It's more important to keep consistent. Also, be sure the bases are smooth and square.
Other than that, run em!!
Remember, typically cast lead will produce lower pressures than an equal weight copper condom (jacketed bullet). The resistance of forcing lead down a steel barrel is lower than forcing copper down your barrel.

Btw, what's goofy!? I run that same boolit in some of my loads. I've had very good results from it.

Good looking castings, but you have one problem that may not be readily apparent. Casting is an addiction and if you have the patience for it, you'll find equal or better accuracy at a fraction of the cost. If you catch the bug, you'll look around one day and there'll be a pile of molds where them stupid jacketed bullets used to be.

Contrary to what the armchair experts say, in 99% of handgun cartridges; You can equal and often exceed the performance of a jacketed bullet. Take your 9mm there. You didn't mention your alloy but let me assume your using air cooled wheel weights. (No need to water quench). They will penetrate about as well as any FMJ and if you can find a load that gives no leading and accuracy up around 900fps, them buggers will expand pretty well.
Totally different animal I know, but my 308 Winchester loads expand as well as any premium jacketed bullet out there. They will penetrate several milk jugs of water and they look like a small explosion went off inside them. Quite devastating. To boot, they'll shoot inside an inch at a hundred. All for less than $10 for fifty.

Welcome to the dark side. We may be frowned on by the status quo and those who think they know better, but we have fun, cheaper and don't abuse our guns near as much. Edited by Caster
  • Like 2
the dark side indeed!

It took me a year to become proficient enough to reload dozens for different calibers for rifle, pistol and shotgun for the next 50 years. However, 50 years might not be enough time to master casting.

Paper patching? The men in white with the strait jacket are looking for me, but I can run faster! Mastering paperpatching is more fun that hitting your thumb with a hammer.

Goofy b/c they just don't fill up the brass like the 147gr falcons i've been using.

Its amazing how quick you can churn out 100 bullets once you get the pot hot.

I'm using wheel weights but did water quench. 

Bases are smooth and pretty square i'm sure i could use some practice...

Goofy b/c they just don't fill up the brass like the 147gr falcons i've been using.

Its amazing how quick you can churn out 100 bullets once you get the pot hot.

I'm using wheel weights but did water quench. 

Bases are smooth and pretty square i'm sure i could use some practice...

I dunno, they look good to me. Most important question of all. How do they shoot??? Accurate? Reliable?

Are they lubed? It doesn't look like it. If they are not lubed they will lead the bore.

I have shot these as well and like them.

I have started powder caoting bullets. You can use acetone and powder coating powder. You mix the two and tumble lube the bullets like you would using Lee Alox. Then you bake but I am not 100% convinced they even need to be baked. I have pushed them to over 2K fps and I have read reports of pwople getting to 2,800 fps with the powder coating. Next time I do a batch I will be taking pictures and posting a how to.

• Like 1
My mold drops wheel weights at 127.5 also.

I NEED to call you Gordon. I just didn't have time last week. I'm even more interested in pc/acetone tumble than the paint that was in the vid. I have powder and acetone sitting on a shelf already. Zero expense to me to try it.
Guest GimpyLeg

Sweet!  I chrony'd some 125gr using 3.4 of Zip and they flew around 935, but I lost some accuracy from my 1911 compact.  Maybe not so much accuracy but they dropped more than I cared for.  I will be trying 3.6gr of Zip next.

Hi Dolomite,
A question about shelf life of reloads with cast led bullets.
There is a lube on lead cast bullets. It must contaminate the powder eventually. How long does it take? How long did you store your reloads before shooting? What was the storage temperature?

the shelf live of cast lead reloads are just as long as others.  i got some cast lead reloads that i made in the early 80's and they still go bang.  i have found that wheel weights will come out heavy.  it is different for each brand of mold used.  

since 1979 i have used just about every type of lube made on my cast lead.  brown, blue, red, gold, etc...  most lube have been store brand. but now i am using home made lube.  it all works. if i can get it in the luber sizer, i lube on.  never had any problems with the lube messing up the loads no matter the age of the load or type of lube used.   wheel weights do come out some what heavy in all my molds.