Beretta 85 9m short

Guest sysco462

Guest sysco462

I have been offered a new Beretta 85 9m short for $400.00. It comes with 2 boxes of ammo as well. I am not very familiar with this gun. I have looked on the net and the price seems right. Any opinions on this gun and caliber for concealed carrying.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's a great firearm, but it seems a mite big to me for the the caliber. I've owned a couple of .380s and I've never been in love with the round. I personally would rather have a 9mm para or a .38 spl. I think they are better stoppers and you can get them in the same size package if not a smaller one.

That said, if you really like the pistol, by all means buy it. I suspect that you could get your money back out of it later on at that price. :rolleyes:

Guest rufusgooch

Im a beretta man. Carry a 9000 40. The 380 series 84, 85, 86 are all good guns. Dont bet your life on a 380 outside 15 yards. Cor-bon hps are a perfect carry round. Feed good and will never jam. Depending on how old the gun is; beretta started making 85s in 1976, A newer one is well worth 400.

Would the LCP be a better concealed carry gun than this 9m short?

Well, the LCP and P3AT are certainly much more concealable. At the same time, they are a bit harder to handle because of their lower mass.

Personally, If I was going to carry a 380 Auto as a primary concealed handgun, I'd move up to a 9mm. The little P3AT is great as a BUG or casual carry gun.

Guest janwbrown616

I think for the price 400 bucks, I could get a nice stainless PPK/S for around $300.00 (used). For me it's just the right size

I think for the price 400 bucks, I could get a nice stainless PPK/S for around $300.00 (used). For me it's just the right size

Yes, I have a PPK. Bought it over the Sig 232 because of the "allure" (always was a James Bond fan :D ) and it's smaller size. My only complaint is it is HEAVY but it looks good and is quite accurate for it's size. I'm waiting on an LCP as well.

Yes, I have a PPK. Bought it over the Sig 232 because of the "allure" (always was a James Bond fan :D ) and it's smaller size. My only complaint is it is HEAVY but it looks good and is quite accurate for it's size. I'm waiting on an LCP as well.

then i assume you got it chambered in .32acp as that was the caliber james bond carried

then i assume you got it chambered in .32acp as that was the caliber james bond carried

Funny you mention that. The first one I bought (blued just like James) was in .32. Picked it up used years ago at the gun show for $250. I liked it so much, I ended up buying a new one in stainless. I got the .380 this time though. After all, James hasn't used the PPK in a while so I figured it would be OK. :D

Funny you mention that. The first one I bought (blued just like James) was in .32. Picked it up used years ago at the gun show for $250. I liked it so much, I ended up buying a new one in stainless. I got the .380 this time though. After all, James hasn't used the PPK in a while so I figured it would be OK. :P

to digress a little ---

if memory serves me --- he switched in "tommorrow never dies" in about '96/97 to the walther p99 which was relatively new at that time having just hit production in '96 in 9mm version.

back to the original subject --- i always liked both the berreta 85 and the browning bda-[basicly same gun, both made by berreta] and found them to be a very comfortable gun to handle.

a bit heavy for carry but a nice gun to shoot.;)

they seem to have increased in value lately and if in nice condition it is probably worth the $400.

good luck with your choice,

:D

bob

I've shot a Browning BDA. Not a bad little pistol! I liked it a lot better than my Sig 230. The thing is with both the Berretta and the Browning, you need a holster to carry the pistol comfortably and it's just my opinion that if I'm going to carry a holstered weapon it's going to be a bit more powerful. A .380 seems more like a pocket pistol caliber.