New belt knife

I just recently made a new belt knife, I know I have never posted my hand forged stuff on here before so here goes.

I forged the blade from a tire crank off a truck, you know like you crank your spare down with.  I did almost all the finish work by hand (files, stones, and sandpaper). I added some cherry wood to the butt to round it out so it fits the hand better. Its glued and pinned on with bamboo.

IMAG0093-1.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097-1.jpg

I forged the blade a little while ago and ran across it last week in a box. The blade hold an edge but nowhere near something like 5160 or 1095 even.  Heat treat went like this:

3 times normalized

quenched in motor oil, no dice

quenched in water, worked

I did a very light temper at 375 for a bit.

It'll work for a use knife.

More of a practice in fit and finish, really.

• Like 1

I forged the blade a little while ago and ran across it last week in a box. The blade hold an edge but nowhere near something like 5160 or 1095 even. Heat treat went like this:

3 times normalized
quenched in motor oil, no dice
quenched in water, worked
I did a very light temper at 375 for a bit.

It'll work for a use knife.

More of a practice in fit and finish, really.

Gotcha. I was wondering why something like that would be any thing other than low carbon mild steel. Cool that it did harden in a water quench.

sent from the backwoods

The stag was drilled to accept the tang of the blade, the tang goes about half the length of the handle. It is cemented and the pin was a bit offset to drive it up tight. The butt cap is purely for look and feel, more to round the handle out than anything. I actually made the handle first, then I fit the blade to it.

Edited by rhyfelwr