Some questions for motorcyclists (Call em bikers if you want). Touring or Cruising?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

So now that plans have changed it looks like the wife is receptive on me getting a new (Or used) bike. As I mentioned in the "What bike do you have or had thread", I did ride for over 35 years, on and off road but gave it up about 10 or 11 years ago for health reasons. Feel like I want to get back on, every time I see a bike rolling down the street a tinge of jealousy pops up. I'm always telling the wife "i did that for years, you dont know what your missing out on". She has only been on back of a bike once when a friend took her for a ride, decided to show off, brought the front end off the ground and nearly threw her off the seat. For her that was it. And for me, it has taken me 10 years for her to even consider it again. What changed her mind I think is our bright sunny ride down the Cherohala Skyway and it was obvious those 10,000 people on bikes were having way more fun than we were in my truck.

Since the wife thinks things through on everything, I think it might be a good idea to act fast (Like this weekend) to be able to get her on the back or she may end up overthinking it and Ill be riding alone. So here is what I am considering. Just asking for opinions.

*Ill be taking rides in the 500 mile and under range.

*At the same time I like to ride locally, even to the grocery store.

*My budget allows for a new cruiser, used cruiser or used touring bike.

* For HD purists, that isnt an option for me, I can get one, they look and sound good, just have never been impressed with the ride.

SO here is what I am looking at, at the moment, after stopping in Southern Honda Powersports yesterday.

For new Cruisers I am looking at either a Sabre or Interstate.  Just looking for opinions from current riders (Or anyone really), what do you all think "Touring or Cruiser" for what I am looking at. Some of these cruisers might as well be touring bikes. Anything else I should be looking at? Recommendations appreciated, I think Im probably going to pull the trigger on this Saturday morning.

For used cruisers, I am looking at these specifically.

1997 Honda F6 VALKYRIE

http://www.southernhonda.com/1997HondaF6-VALKYRIE-inventory.htm?id=480058&used=1&vin=1HFSC3405VA001440#/0

1999 Honda GL1500CF F6 VALKRYIE

http://www.southernhonda.com/1999HondaGL1500CF-F6-VALKRYIE-inventory.htm?id=362163&used=1&vin=1HFSC3435XA200453#/0

2009 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 Classic http://www.southernhonda.com/2009KawasakiVULCAN-1700-Classic-inventory.htm?id=424254&used=1&vin=JKBVNRE169A000191#/0

2005 Honda VTX1300S

http://www.southernhonda.com/2005HondaVTX1300S-inventory.htm?id=481150&used=1&vin=1HFSC520X5A208730#/0

1995 Honda GL1500SE GOLDWING.

This is the 20th Anniversary addition, has 91,000 on it, which is nothing (Especially considering when I sold my second Wing at a Wing Ding it had 230 on it). And the original owner loaded it with extras. Only problem is, its purple and the wife hates the color, so first thing will be to get it painted.

http://www.southernhonda.com/1995HondaGL1500SE-GOLDWING-inventory.htm?id=441152&used=1&vin=1HFSC2237SA702628#/0

Edited by TankerHC

I can't really comment on the bikes you have listed but I would recommend at least checking out the Suzuki C50T (T for touring. Comes with bags, shield, backrest, etc.) Unless you are wanting a larger engine this bike sounds like plenty for what you want. I have a 2012 model and love it. Plenty of power for two up riding and still small and light enough to be agile. The biggest plus is the 0% financing you can get on any new Suzuki, that's if you plan on financing.

The biggest drawback is the uncomfortable seat. Replace it with a Mustang seat and you are good to go. I have since added passenger floor boards, luggage rack, and crash bars on mine and am loving it. I will say if you want louder pipes look elsewhere. While fine with stock pipes this bike only has 5 gears so with aftermarket pipes it gets pretty loud at highway speeds with the high RPM's. I guess they did this to get plenty of torque out of the 805CC engine.

Edited by maroonandwhite
I ride my goldwing to work everyday it ain't raining when its time for me to leave. long trips, short trips, weekend trips. I've owned different bikes, but the GW rides and handles like a bike half its size IMO. 350 miles in a day is no problem to me and that's without even hitting the Interstate. 500 on the Interstateis a breeze. most confortable bike I've ever ridden.

Pm me if you're considering a Valkyrie. I have a 98 and would consider selling it. Can promise you this you won't regret buying a Valkyrie they are probably the best bike Honda produced. They were so good they took away sales from the goldwings this is one reason they quit producing the bikes. Even as big as they are they are well balanced the engine is smooth as silk with lots torque and power. I also own a Harley and my valk gets more compliments than my HD does. I know if I ever sell it I'm going to regret it but I just don't need 2 bikes. Mine needs nothing. I put a new battery in it this year has tons of chrome added, tires are good for another 10-12000 miles. When I've had passengers on both bikes they easily preferred the Valkyrie over the Harley. They are that good of a bike and that's not just from owning it many owners say the same. Engine will go 300,000 easily.
Mine has I think 54000 on it.
6500.00 if you wanna come look at it.

dysa7ehe.jpg

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

Edited by jphillips63
Oh the 97 is first year built and they had wheel bearing problems so I'd avoid that yr model also I have stock exhaust if you prefer the stock and I upgraded the seat to the 2001 model they were much better seats.

I'm not much of a cruiser guy but I do like the Victory Cross Tour. Currently I ride an FJR for everything, touring included.

IMO a cruiser for touring wouldn't be my choice, you are already limited on cornering clearance and if you load it down and double on it then you'd decrease that, unless you upgrade the suspension. Many do tour on them though and if so my choice would be the GW. Good buys out there on used ones GW's too.

Now, since you are now getting back on bikes and big heavy bike, including the GW or just about any cruiser may become imtiminating. Don't know your age, height and weight but it's going to be a bicth if you tip over a 600lb + bike while you're reviving that learning skill.  :-\

But, if your committed to a pig of the bike (including my FJR) you might consider an older GW and a smaller summer bike like a 650 V-Strom, NC700 or a K75 (which are steals today). For the price of a new bike you could have two but that may not go over well with SWMBO. Either way, make sure you get a back rest for whatever you buy.  :D

• Like 2

My biggest issue with cruiser type bikes is lack of ground clearance.  Some of the lower ones drag hard parts much too easily.  That and lots of people just don't have a clue how to ride them.  Watch a couple motorcycle police training videos and you'll see what the bike can actually do. 

A friend has a Valkyrie with 100k+ miles now and it's been trouble free.  It's either a '97 or '98.  Love the sound they make. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, you've just got to find one that fits your needs and budget.  One thing you might consider is EFI vs. carbs.  Carbs work great until they don't work and then things can get ugly pretty fast. 

Guest TankerHC

I'm not much of a cruiser guy but I do like the Victory Cross Tour. Currently I ride an FJR for everything, touring included.

IMO a cruiser for touring wouldn't be my choice, you are already limited on cornering clearance and if you load it down and double on it then you'd decrease that, unless you upgrade the suspension. Many do tour on them though and if so my choice would be the GW. Good buys out there on used ones GW's too.

Now, since you are now getting back on bikes and big heavy bike, including the GW or just about any cruiser may become imtiminating. Don't know your age, height and weight but it's going to be a bicth if you tip over a 600lb + bike while you're reviving that learning skill.  :-\

But, if your committed to a pig of the bike (including my FJR) you might consider an older GW and a smaller summer bike like a 650 V-Strom, NC700 or a K75 (which are steals today). For the price of a new bike you could have two but that may not go over well with SWMBO. Either way, make sure you get a back rest for whatever you buy.  :D

Even when I was well into it (Im 6 foot, 235), once when I dropped my Wing I had a hell of a time getting it back up. Had on old guy (Pres of the GWRRA in Laural, MS) helping me do some break work and the subject came up. He said "You aint been riding a wing long enough. To get them up, turn the front wheel in the direction of whichever side you dropped it and push backwards".   And he is right, works like a charm.

Even when I was well into it (Im 6 foot, 235), once when I dropped my Wing I had a hell of a time getting it back up. Had on old guy (Pres of the GWRRA in Laural, MS) helping me do some break work and the subject came up. He said "You aint been riding a wing long enough. To get them up, turn the front wheel in the direction of whichever side you dropped it and push backwards".   And he is right, works like a charm.

Right, backup to the bike, push with the legs. Hopefully you'll be on a firm slip free surface.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

I've been riding a 2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic for the last 13 years, it's been a darn good bike, absolutely trouble free.

If I were in the market for another motorcycle I would probably go the exact opposite direction you're looking at (big, heavy, powerful) and pick up a smaller, lighter Royal Enfield Bullet C-5 Military or IMZ-Ural M-70 Retro, which ever one I bought I'd definately attach a sidecar to it.
Guest TankerHC

I've been riding a 2000 Yamaha V-Star Classic for the last 13 years, it's been a darn good bike, absolutely trouble free.

If I were in the market for another motorcycle I would probably go the exact opposite direction you're looking at (big, heavy, powerful) and pick up a smaller, lighter Royal Enfield Bullet C-5 Military or IMZ-Ural M-70 Retro, which ever one I bought I'd definately attach a sidecar to it.

Not too impressed with that Royal Enfield, but that Ural is a pretty darn sharp looking bike. I didnt even know Ural still made bikes, thought they died with the Soviet Union. The Soviets didnt know how to build a car (Lada, Skoda junk), but they could build bikes if my Ossa was any kind of example.

I ride an FJR too. LOVE IT! Fantastic bike.

But if you're looking for a comfortable bike to ride you will not beat the Goldwing. Hands down it is THE touring bike. A Goldwing will make you want to take 500 mile rides on a very regular basis. They are also incredibly dependable and have huge online support networks similar to TGO, but on a national scale. They aren't going to corner as well as an FJR or a sport bike, but not nearly as poorly as a cruiser. And there is no way you would get me to ride a cruiser for 500 miles. No thanks. I like my back and butt too well to do that to them. 

Now, since you are now getting back on bikes and big heavy bike, including the GW or just about any cruiser may become imtiminating. Don't know your age, height and weight but it's going to be a bicth if you tip over a 600lb + bike while you're reviving that learning skill. :-

But, if your committed to a pig of the bike (including my FJR) you might consider an older GW and a smaller summer bike like a 650 V-Strom, NC700 or a K75 (which are steals today). For the price of a new bike you could have two but that may not go over well with SWMBO. Either way, make sure you get a back rest for whatever you buy. :D

I ride an FJR too. LOVE IT! Fantastic bike.

But if you're looking for a comfortable bike to ride you will not beat the Goldwing. Hands down it is THE touring bike. A Goldwing will make you want to take 500 mile rides on a very regular basis. They are also incredibly dependable and have huge online support networks similar to TGO, but on a national scale. They aren't going to corner as well as an FJR or a sport bike, but not nearly as poorly as a cruiser. And there is no way you would get me to ride a cruiser for 500 miles. No thanks. I like my back and butt too well to do that to them.

I'd beg to differ this old man has the fastest time on the dragon and he walks away from any and all sport bikes that try to stay with him.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHNnOHuikI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVxHNnOHuikI

I'd beg to differ this old man has the fastest time on the dragon and he walks away from any and all sport bikes that try to stay with him.

I've met Rick a couple times, he can ride a wing like no one I've ever seen. Nice guy too. Fastest time? Not hardly. But that's another discussion...

I've met Rick a couple times, he can ride a wing like no one I've ever seen. Nice guy too. Fastest time? Not hardly. But that's another discussion...

Rick isn't coming anywhere close to walking away from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGbln3J4Sg

Edited by 10-Ring
Guest TankerHC

Ossa was a Spanish manufacturer, but I agree they were great bikes, I owned an Ossa Phantom back in the late 70's, early 80's.

My Ossa was built in East Germany. IT was built in the MZ factory, around 1970, distributed under the name Ossa and was the fastest 250 single 2 stroke I have ever ridden, and that includes the CR's. It came off a Polish ship in (IIRC) 1972 at Pier 11 in Baltimore, sold by a Polish sailor to a friend of mine who in turn sold/traded it to me. (As I recall)

Edited by TankerHC
Guest The Itis

Touring for sure. If you stopped before for health reasons and that was ages ago, you'll appreciate the ride of a touring bike, even if you're only touring to the grocery store.

I used to ride, then a drunk guy in a truck hits me and leaves me possibly unable to ride comfortably ever again. If there was another bike in my future, it would be a touring bike, and it'll probably be a current model bimmer that will be old by then.

Edited by The Itis