Some questions for motorcyclists (Call em bikers if you want). Touring or Cruising?

Guest TankerHC

Lots of important details missing from your query, but based on what you've given, an 08 or newer FJR is a great choice

It does everything very well, including keep the mrs. Happy

Having ridden for 30 years and probably over a dozen bikes (although none were a GW ) I can say its perhaps one of the most capable bikes I've ever owned or even been on....

I love mine.... And doubt i will ever find more bang for the buck in all the important categories

I can commute year round, get groceries, do 1K mile days in comfort, and drag a knee when the devil calls...

All that with shaft drive, 5 min oil changes, bullet proof engineering and very long major service intervals.

A Simply amazing machine.
Lots of important details missing from your query, but based on what you've given, an 08 or newer FJR is a great choice

It does everything very well, including keep the mrs. Happy

Having ridden for 30 years and probably over a dozen bikes (although none were a GW ) I can say its perhaps one of the most capable bikes I've ever owned or even been on....

I love mine.... And doubt i will ever find more bang for the buck in all the important categories

I can commute year round, get groceries, do 1K mile days in comfort, and drag a knee when the devil calls...

All that with shaft drive, 5 min oil changes, bullet proof engineering and very long major service intervals.

A Simply amazing machine.

My Ossa was built in East Germany. IT was built in the MZ factory, around 1970, distributed under the name Ossa and was the fastest 250 single 2 stroke I have ever ridden, and that includes the CR's. It came off a Polish ship in (IIRC) 1972 at Pier 11 in Baltimore, sold by a Polish sailor to a friend of mine who in turn sold/traded it to me. (As I recall)

Interesting, seriously I am intrigued, I'd never heard of Ossa re-branding East-German MZ's as their own before.

Ossa was famous for producing high-end racing bikes in their in-house Spanish factory, I can't imagine why they'd farm out work to a communist block factory, especially one where they had no direct QC oversight, except for maybe if demand for their bikes just was so great that they did what ever it took to fill orders.

And at that period of time East Germany was still behind the Iron Curtain weren't they? which of course also meant that the MZ factory was State owned & operated and with them being a communist State meant that they had a policy of not engaging in capitalistic trade ventures? If they did contract with Ossa that's a neat little tidbit of ColdWar trivia most folks wouldn't be aware of.

Or maybe it could be possible for someone to have simply re-badged a less expensive MZ as a more expensive Ossa inorder to get a higher price for it on their own? Sort of a counterfit deal prehaps? Or could it have been a salvage-rebuilt "Frankenstien" MZ/Ossa parts-bike or something?

Anyway very interesting mystery there man, you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your Ossa/MZ handy would you? I'd love to see it.

So now that plans have changed it looks like the wife is receptive on me getting a new (Or used) bike. As I mentioned in the "What bike do you have or had thread", I did ride for over 35 years, on and off road but gave it up about 10 or 11 years ago for health reasons. Feel like I want to get back on, every time I see a bike rolling down the street a tinge of jealousy pops up. I'm always telling the wife "i did that for years, you dont know what your missing out on". She has only been on back of a bike once when a friend took her for a ride, decided to show off, brought the front end off the ground and nearly threw her off the seat. For her that was it. And for me, it has taken me 10 years for her to even consider it again. What changed her mind I think is our bright sunny ride down the Cherohala Skyway and it was obvious those 10,000 people on bikes were having way more fun than we were in my truck.

Since the wife thinks things through on everything, I think it might be a good idea to act fast (Like this weekend) to be able to get her on the back or she may end up overthinking it and Ill be riding alone. So here is what I am considering. Just asking for opinions.

*Ill be taking rides in the 500 mile and under range.
*At the same time I like to ride locally, even to the grocery store.
*My budget allows for a new cruiser, used cruiser or used touring bike.
* For HD purists, that isnt an option for me, I can get one, they look and sound good, just have never been impressed with the ride.

SO here is what I am looking at, at the moment, after stopping in Southern Honda Powersports yesterday.

For new Cruisers I am looking at either a Sabre or Interstate.  Just looking for opinions from current riders (Or anyone really), what do you all think "Touring or Cruiser" for what I am looking at. Some of these cruisers might as well be touring bikes. Anything else I should be looking at? Recommendations appreciated, I think Im probably going to pull the trigger on this Saturday morning.

For used cruisers, I am looking at these specifically.

1997 Honda F6 VALKYRIE
http://www.southernhonda.com/1997HondaF6-VALKYRIE-inventory.htm?id=480058&used=1&vin=1HFSC3405VA001440#/0

1999 Honda GL1500CF F6 VALKRYIE
http://www.southernhonda.com/1999HondaGL1500CF-F6-VALKRYIE-inventory.htm?id=362163&used=1&vin=1HFSC3435XA200453#/0

2009 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 Classic http://www.southernhonda.com/2009KawasakiVULCAN-1700-Classic-inventory.htm?id=424254&used=1&vin=JKBVNRE169A000191#/0

2005 Honda VTX1300S
http://www.southernhonda.com/2005HondaVTX1300S-inventory.htm?id=481150&used=1&vin=1HFSC520X5A208730#/0

1995 Honda GL1500SE GOLDWING.
This is the 20th Anniversary addition, has 91,000 on it, which is nothing (Especially considering when I sold my second Wing at a Wing Ding it had 230 on it). And the original owner loaded it with extras. Only problem is, its purple and the wife hates the color, so first thing will be to get it painted.

http://www.southernhonda.com/1995HondaGL1500SE-GOLDWING-inventory.htm?id=441152&used=1&vin=1HFSC2237SA702628#/0

Of these....day trips/ fun..Valk. Week trip, then the Vulcan 1700.

I agree, but if they were both on GW's?..... Now THAT would be a race!

I don't think so but I've had the perspective of riding with and seeing both of these guys ride.  I've seen the guy on the sportbike run the Dragon on a Harley, which was quite amusing.  His Harley pace was still quite a bit faster than Yellow Wolf's pace.  There is also a pretty big age gap between the two. 

If you need some amusing internet babble to fill your day search the Goldwing forums for threads involving Yellow Wolf and a guy that goes by the name DJFire.  The two are constantly in a pissing contest over who is better, it's sad really.

Guest TankerHC

Interesting, seriously I am intrigued, I'd never heard of Ossa re-branding East-German MZ's as their own before.

Ossa was famous for producing high-end racing bikes in their in-house Spanish factory, I can't imagine why they'd farm out work to a communist block factory, especially one where they had no direct QC oversight, except for maybe if demand for their bikes just was so great that they did what ever it took to fill orders.

And at that period of time East Germany was still behind the Iron Curtain weren't they? which of course also meant that the MZ factory was State owned & operated and with them being a communist State meant that they had a policy of not engaging in capitalistic trade ventures? If they did contract with Ossa that's a neat little tidbit of ColdWar trivia most folks wouldn't be aware of.

Or maybe it could be possible for someone to have simply re-badged a less expensive MZ as a more expensive Ossa inorder to get a higher price for it on their own? Sort of a counterfit deal prehaps? Or could it have been a salvage-rebuilt "Frankenstien" MZ/Ossa parts-bike or something?

Anyway very interesting mystery there man, you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your Ossa/MZ handy would you? I'd love to see it.

Yes, they were behind the iron curtain. But I happened to grow up on the second largest port (By tonnage) in the United States (Second only to the Port New York) and mu father and all of my friends fathers were longshoreman. Soviet Ships came in regularly in the 70's and 80's. And the sailors (Who werent suposed to) always got off the ships and roamed around the area. At the same time, the crews were ALWAYS selling sh__ to the longshoreman. BTW, My dad was a Union Delegate and Gang Carrier and met with the ship captains regularly, including the Soviets.

Here is an article from a writer in the Baltimore Sun, who also worked who worked for the Baltic line and worked with Soviets of the Baltic Line Container ships.Which I wouldnt expect you to know unless you lived near one of the big East Coast Ports. (I lived IN the Ports). Another article about the Soviet Ships coming into Baltimore, New Orleans and Houston and Philadelphia trying to get more Soviet Ships to port there.

So, not only the Ossa, but we had tons of other sh__ in my basement and everyone else in the neighborhood's basements who traded not only with the Soviets, but with every foreign line, or American flagged Foriegn line, that came to port, which was every single day.

Regardless of your guesses. I owned the bike, it was an Ossa and it was made in East Germany. and it wasnt some frankenbike.

http://articles.philly.com/1989-12-25/business/26158916_1_soviet-ships-soviet-vessels-soviet-officials

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-06-08/news/1993159210_1_baltic-shipping-shipping-agency-ship-captains

EDIT: Should also note that in an earlier post (Few weeks ago in the What do you have, had thread) I posted that I had not seen one prior to owning it or since. When Chuck Scheur, my buddy got it, everyone asked the same question "Whats an Ossa". At that time I was riding a Kawasaki 100G5 (This one http://hoffmanestates.americanlisted.com/60192/motorcycles/1972-kawasaki-100-g-5_23734683.html

Except mine was Orange and repainted later Kawasaki Green Can you believe the price on this bike? I think mine was $1200 brand new at Eastpoint (Baltimore) Kawasaki.

Problem is I cannot find that Ossa online anywhere. I am finding Ossa's but none of the are MX bikes, all cafe style. Now Im going to have to contact an old friend who I havent spokent with in nearly 40 years (Chuck) to get the details. Fortunately his sisters are on FB.

Edited by TankerHC

Despite all the accoutrements, there's actually a fairly standard bike as the basis of a Goldwing so there's no reason it wouldn't handle reasonably on the Dragon where outright speed is secondary to technical ability.

Gl-left.jpg

Cruisers? Don't know why anyone would ride them. They pretty much stink up the road out in that area. Nothing worse than being caught behind some slowpoke throwing up a shower of sparks from his road-pegs (or whatever they're called) everytime he crawls around a corner. They're not even comfortable and will typically do terrible things to your lower back. And for me, HD ceased to be an option when they released the aftershave. Still, to each his own, I guess.

I ride an SV650. I was actually looking for a standard but they seem to be out of fashion these days and that was the closest I could find in the timeframe/budget I had. I like it a lot but it's not the most comfortable for long journeys. I have my eye on a Triumph Bonneville which is more the style I'd like and fits with my nationality. I stopped riding for a while at the age of 21 or so but would continually have weird motorcycling dreams. When I met my future wife, I told her immediately that I would get a bike again and a few years ago I did. I didn't pressure her to ride with me but eventually she did and got the bug. She even got to riding for herself for a little while but had an unfortunate accident before her skill and confidence were adequate.

Edited by tnguy

I don't think so but I've had the perspective of riding with and seeing both of these guys ride.  I've seen the guy on the sportbike run the Dragon on a Harley, which was quite amusing.  His Harley pace was still quite a bit faster than Yellow Wolf's pace.  There is also a pretty big age gap between the two. 

If you need some amusing internet babble to fill your day search the Goldwing forums for threads involving Yellow Wolf and a guy that goes by the name DJFire.  The two are constantly in a pissing contest over who is better, it's sad really.

Once upon a time, there was talk of a spec racing series for GW's similar to the BMW Boxer Cup.  I think that would've been a hoot to watch and I'll bet the lap times would've humbled some folks. 

Guest TankerHC

Found one photo of one of my GW's. This one was an 83 or 84 I think, Aspencade (I cant remember it may have even been an 82.). At the time I bought this I wasnt looking for a bike, had a different Wing with a lot of miles on it and happened to be riding around and saw it sitting in a yard and it was pretty filthy, thought I might be able to use it for parts so knocked on the door and the guy who owned it says its only got 12000 miles on it. Thought maybe he had blown the engine or something. Nope, retired MSG, was riding it and had a heart attack, layed it over on the side of the road in the grass. Had it taken to his house, parked it and never got on it again. Asked if he would sell it, yep, its a 1200, Ill take 1200 bucks (Might have been an 1100 and he took 1100 bucks). Breaks were locked up from sitting, needed a battery. Bought a battery and had a friend who was a mech at an HD dealership come over and look at it, looked at me and said "You lucky ba___d".

Sold it later for double what I paid for it to the guy in the white truck in the pic. He owns a Motorcycle Rental business somewhere in South America and thats where it was headed. Took me all of 2 minutes to sell it, had 30,000 + or - on it.

301_zps0998739f.jpg

Edited by TankerHC

Regardless of your guesses. I owned the bike, it was an Ossa and it was made in East Germany. and it wasnt some frankenbike.

I wasn't calling you out or anything I'm just a big fan of Ossa & I had never heard of any connection between the Ossa & MZ factories before, so forgive my speculation, I was just trying to figure out the who,what,when,where,how,why of if that colaboration/combination was even possible.

So if you do manage to come across any info, either on the web or from your buddy on MZ manufactured Ossa's I'd be very interested in learning more.
Guest TankerHC

I wasn't calling you out or anything I'm just a big fan of Ossa & I had never heard of any connection between the Ossa & MZ factories before, so forgive my speculation, I was just trying to figure out the who,what,when,where,how,why of if that colaboration/combination was even possible.

So if you do manage to come across any info, either on the web or from your buddy on MZ manufactured Ossa's I'd be very interested in learning more.

Heck no, only Ossa's I see are the Cafe and Grand Prix bikes. One thing I did see I had not seen before was there was a Company in Poland back then called Osa, and used an "Osa" logo on thier bikes, but the only thing they make (It seem) were scooters. This bike as I noted came off a Polish Ship. Now I am wondering if that bike were not some prototype MX bike considering I never saw one before or since, wondering if it may have been an Osa and not an Ossa. On further reading the Russians were getting into MX big back in the late 60's to mid 70's and lots of prototype bikes came around out of Eastern Block Countries. Guys like Guennady Moisseev who took 1st in 74 and 2nd in 75 in 250 class in the European World Championships on a KTM. (Never heard of Guennady Moisseev until today) I was a fan of DeCoster back then (Like a lot of people).

Tanker, I do sort of remember another brand that was very similar to Ossa, it could had been Osa or maybe Osso, I can't really recall any details it's simply been to long.

I do remember I had originally wanted a Bultaco & how disappointed that I was when first seeing my Ossa in the garage for the first time.

I was still just a kid, but I'd already owned a Kawasaki 90, Yamaha 100 & a Suzuki 125, I was getting serious about MX racing & Bultaco's were dominating at the time.

Thankfully my Father knew what he was doing when he bought me that Ossa instead of a Bultaco because that Phantom was amazing, I won more heats on that bike than with all of my other bikes combined.

I didn't fare anywhere near as well after switching to 250 class & upgrading to a Honda XL250R, which was not only to tall for me to flat foot, it also was a constant coil-eating mechanical nightmare.

Those were really fun times though!

I'd beg to differ this old man has the fastest time on the dragon and he walks away from any and all sport bikes that try to stay with him.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHNnOHuikI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVxHNnOHuikI

sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2

No need to beg. ;) But that's the rider, not the bike. You put Valentino Rossi on an R1 on the Dragon and even the infamous Yellow Wolf is going to be viewing taillights. You just can't beat physics. A bike with 180hp weighing less than 500lbs is going destroy a bike with about 120hp weighing nearly 900lbs. Now you put me on the R1 and Yellow Wolf on his Goldwing, then yea, I'll be the one looking at taillights. 

• Like 1

So now that plans have changed it looks like the wife is receptive on me getting a new (Or used) bike. As I mentioned in the "What bike do you have or had thread", I did ride for over 35 years, on and off road but gave it up about 10 or 11 years ago for health reasons. Feel like I want to get back on, every time I see a bike rolling down the street a tinge of jealousy pops up. I'm always telling the wife "i did that for years, you dont know what your missing out on". She has only been on back of a bike once when a friend took her for a ride, decided to show off, brought the front end off the ground and nearly threw her off the seat. For her that was it. And for me, it has taken me 10 years for her to even consider it again. What changed her mind I think is our bright sunny ride down the Cherohala Skyway and it was obvious those 10,000 people on bikes were having way more fun than we were in my truck.

Since the wife thinks things through on everything, I think it might be a good idea to act fast (Like this weekend) to be able to get her on the back or she may end up overthinking it and Ill be riding alone. So here is what I am considering. Just asking for opinions.

*Ill be taking rides in the 500 mile and under range.

*At the same time I like to ride locally, even to the grocery store.

*My budget allows for a new cruiser, used cruiser or used touring bike.

* For HD purists, that isnt an option for me, I can get one, they look and sound good, just have never been impressed with the ride.

SO here is what I am looking at, at the moment, after stopping in Southern Honda Powersports yesterday.

For new Cruisers I am looking at either a Sabre or Interstate. Just looking for opinions from current riders (Or anyone really), what do you all think "Touring or Cruiser" for what I am looking at. Some of these cruisers might as well be touring bikes. Anything else I should be looking at? Recommendations appreciated, I think Im probably going to pull the trigger on this Saturday morning.

For used cruisers, I am looking at these specifically.

1997 Honda F6 VALKYRIE
http://www.southernhonda.com/1997HondaF6-VALKYRIE-inventory.htm?id=480058&used=1&vin=1HFSC3405VA001440#/0

1999 Honda GL1500CF F6 VALKRYIE
http://www.southernhonda.com/1999HondaGL1500CF-F6-VALKRYIE-inventory.htm?id=362163&used=1&vin=1HFSC3435XA200453#/0

2009 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 Classic http://www.southernhonda.com/2009KawasakiVULCAN-1700-Classic-inventory.htm?id=424254&used=1&vin=JKBVNRE169A000191#/0

2005 Honda VTX1300S
http://www.southernhonda.com/2005HondaVTX1300S-inventory.htm?id=481150&used=1&vin=1HFSC520X5A208730#/0

1995 Honda GL1500SE GOLDWING.

This is the 20th Anniversary addition, has 91,000 on it, which is nothing (Especially considering when I sold my second Wing at a Wing Ding it had 230 on it). And the original owner loaded it with extras. Only problem is, its purple and the wife hates the color, so first thing will be to get it painted.

http://www.southernhonda.com/1995HondaGL1500SE-GOLDWING-inventory.htm?id=441152&used=1&vin=1HFSC2237SA702628#/0

Of these....day trips/ fun..Valk. Week trip, then the Vulcan 1700.

You are aware the Valkyrie is a stripped down goldwing on steroids right? These bikes are just as good for fun rides day trips and those week long trips. Back when they were in production they were out selling the goldwings so Honda stopped production on the Valkyrie for that reason.

I did a bit of digging on Osa Scooters and came across this:

Junak Rider on March 21, 2011 @ 10:23 am

The correct, polish name of manufactuter: Warszawska Fabryka Motocykli Osa scooters were produced with 175 ccm engine only. There were some special models made for OFF-ROAD races (many success in this!)

So it looks like there was indeed a Polish manufacturer "Osa" that mainly made scooters, but made a special-run of off-road race bikes, with many success in this!

I'll see if I can find out any more info.

No need to beg. ;) But that's the rider, not the bike. You put Valentino Rossi on an R1 on the Dragon and even the infamous Yellow Wolf is going to be viewing taillights. You just can't beat physics. A bike with 180hp weighing less than 500lbs is going destroy a bike with about 120hp weighing nearly 900lbs. Now you put me on the R1 and Yellow Wolf on his Goldwing, then yea, I'll be the one looking at taillights. 

Also keep in mind the suspension upgrades, I think by Traxxion, made to his GW. No way he could preform within his limits when limited to the stock suspension. 

That would be my first mod especially to a GW. And if I had a GW I would go with Traxxion then to http://www.mblinnovations.com/

:up: 

Edited by kieefer

Despite all the accoutrements, there's actually a fairly standard bike as the basis of a Goldwing so there's no reason it wouldn't handle reasonably on the Dragon where outright speed is secondary to technical ability.

Gl-left.jpg

Cruisers? Don't know why anyone would ride them. They pretty much stink up the road out in that area. Nothing worse than being caught behind some slowpoke throwing up a shower of sparks from his road-pegs (or whatever they're called) everytime he crawls around a corner. They're not even comfortable and will typically do terrible things to your lower back. And for me, HD ceased to be an option when they released the aftershave. Still, to each his own, I guess.

I ride an SV650. I was actually looking for a standard but they seem to be out of fashion these days and that was the closest I could find in the timeframe/budget I had. I like it a lot but it's not the most comfortable for long journeys. I have my eye on a Triumph Bonneville which is more the style I'd like and fits with my nationality. I stopped riding for a while at the age of 21 or so but would continually have weird motorcycling dreams. When I met my future wife, I told her immediately that I would get a bike again and a few years ago I did. I didn't pressure her to ride with me but eventually she did and got the bug. She even got to riding for herself for a little while but had an unfortunate accident before her skill and confidence were adequate.

Hence why I put this link but I'll provide meat and taters.

Doug Snavely is the one responding to the questions;

What was your goal with this project?

I rode it the way it was for a while, but I came from a road racing background, and started to convert it to something I was more comfortable riding.

What kinds of parts/modifications did you add?

Living and riding on the Dragon led to most of the modifications, the goal being to run faster and smoother. One of the first real mods was changing the front forks out for a set of Kawasaki GPZ 750 forks. This was for better brakes, and the anti-dive feature, and the 16” wheel. At the same time I altered the wheel base by changing the neck angle, reducing it to allow the bike to turn in quicker. I added a 16” wheel in the rear to maintain stance; also Progressive shocks and fork springs. In its present state it also has Yamaha clip-ons with Harley controls, and custom rear-sets to help balance the front-to-rear weight distribution. NOS [single stage] air horns, custom LED turn signals in the tips of the Ducati exhaust pipes, and a Honda CBX fairing with custom LED turn signals frenched into the lower leading edges. Cold air induction to a pressurized air box, and an array of custom-mounted gauges for voltage, oil pressure, clock, boost, and a video screen with live-feed view to the rear. The seat is a one-off custom out of fiberglass.

How long did it take you from start to finish?

So far, I have been working on it since 1982. I do not say it is finished. Rather, it is a work in progress.

Why did you name it Cyborg?

A cyborg is a product of cybernetics, the melding of biological and mechanical—referring to myself being the biological, and the bike being the mechanical. I also have a number of steel plates in my body from previous motorcycle accidents, making myself also somewhat of a cyborg.

What sorts of awards has it won?

My efforts so far have gotten me a video interview with Dave Despain for Speedvision while at the Springfield Mile. However, the segment, to my knowledge, never did air. At the same race, Willie G. did a double-take and told me he was very impressed.  I also won a number of first-place awards at state Goldwing events, a very nice trophy at a Cycle World show at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville a few years back, and voted bike of the year on the NakedGoldwings.com website. This organization has over 5,000 members and is dedicated to older ’Wings and customs.

What do other Goldwingers say to you when they first see it?

Most bikers of all makes seem to gather around it where ever I go, and I often spend up to an hour answering questions. Most other Goldwing riders, especially of the newer models, don’t know quite what to think. Nothing on the bike is really just a bolt-on, and I think that confuses them a bit. But most wind up liking it in the end.

How did you first hear about US 129?

While at a road race at Road Atlanta, I heard about US 129 at the Tennessee/North Carolina line, and made the trip up to check it out. I found it to be all that was said about it. I stayed a week at the Crossroads of Time store and motel, and rode the road every day. I came to know some of the local riders, and while there made a deal with the owner of the store/motel to work as the manager. A short time later I created the Deals Gap Riding Society, and gave the road the name “Dragon.” This was based on the air photo of the road looking like the back of a dragon, and to create an imagine that was easy to promote.

How did you popularize it?

Making 129 so popular was a combination of luck and hard work. But coining the name Dragon, and instilling the “318 curves in 11 miles” image, I appealed to bikers all over the world, who saw it as a challenge that had to be met. My newsletter from the “Deals Gap Riding Society” told of the escapades on the Dragon of their fellow riders. Many just had to see what it was all about in person. I also enlisted the help of Rider magazine, which did a very good segment on the Dragon. Many people have made a lot of money because of this effort. I personally have not made a penny. However, like a proud father who has watched his child grow to a superstar, I have my reward. And without it, the bike called Cyborg would most likely not have been created. And in the end, the bike and my memories are worth more to me then any amount of money. The dragon, like the bike, has a life of its own. And that’s my reward.

Edited by whitewolf001

Making 129 so popular was a combination of luck and hard work. But coining the name Dragon, and instilling the “318 curves in 11 miles” image, I appealed to bikers all over the world, who saw it as a challenge that had to be met. My newsletter from the “Deals Gap Riding Society” told of the escapades on the Dragon of their fellow riders. Many just had to see what it was all about in person. I also enlisted the help of Rider magazine, which did a very good segment on the Dragon. Many people have made a lot of money because of this effort. I personally have not made a penny. However, like a proud father who has watched his child grow to a superstar, I have my reward. And without it, the bike called Cyborg would most likely not have been created. And in the end, the bike and my memories are worth more to me then any amount of money. The dragon, like the bike, has a life of its own. And that’s my reward.

So, it's his fault?

Guest TankerHC

Tanker, I do sort of remember another brand that was very similar to Ossa, it could had been Osa or maybe Osso, I can't really recall any details it's simply been to long.

I do remember I had originally wanted a Bultaco & how disappointed that I was when first seeing my Ossa in the garage for the first time.

I was still just a kid, but I'd already owned a Kawasaki 90, Yamaha 100 & a Suzuki 125, I was getting serious about MX racing & Bultaco's were dominating at the time.

Thankfully my Father knew what he was doing when he bought me that Ossa instead of a Bultaco because that Phantom was amazing, I won more heats on that bike than with all of my other bikes combined.

I didn't fare anywhere near as well after switching to 250 class & upgrading to a Honda XL250R, which was not only to tall for me to flat foot, it also was a constant coil-eating mechanical nightmare.

Those were really fun times though!

Bultaco and Can-Am. Back in the 70's, a Can-Am was a bike I rally wanted but we couldnt afford. They were sold locally by our Kasal Dealer (Remember Kasals, Mopeds and small motorcycles?)

Guest TankerHC

You are aware the Valkyrie is a stripped down goldwing on steroids right? These bikes are just as good for fun rides day trips and those week long trips. Back when they were in production they were out selling the goldwings so Honda stopped production on the Valkyrie for that reason.

Yep

Guest TankerHC

I did a bit of digging on Osa Scooters and came across this:

Junak Rider on March 21, 2011 @ 10:23 am

The correct, polish name of manufactuter: Warszawska Fabryka Motocykli Osa scooters were produced with 175 ccm engine only. There were some special models made for OFF-ROAD races (many success in this!)

So it looks like there was indeed a Polish manufacturer "Osa" that mainly made scooters, but made a special-run of off-road race bikes, with many success in this!

I'll see if I can find out any more info.

Son of a gun. Probably the reason that 1. I havent seen another one since and hadnt seen one before. and 2. MZ Motor. If they were building only 175's, this was a 250, Motor had to come from somewhere.

So I might have had a limited run Soviet bike. I know one way to know for sure, if by some amazing chance you come across a photo of one, I wouldnt think there would be a bunch of different colors on a limited run bike, this one was blue.

Son of a gun. Probably the reason that 1. I havent seen another one since and hadnt seen one before. and 2. MZ Motor. If they were building only 175's, this was a 250, Motor had to come from somewhere.

So I might have had a limited run Soviet bike. I know one way to know for sure, if by some amazing chance you come across a photo of one, I wouldnt think there would be a bunch of different colors on a limited run bike, this one was blue.

Yup it looks like you might had owned an extremely rare bike man, any idea where it might be these days? Because something like that would definately be worth restoring!