Virginia Drops Reciprocity With Tennessee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

The paper that I got saturday @ my HCP class shows Virginia to still honor but the paperwork is probably as old as the video I had to watch.;)

Guest Verbal Kint
Yea if ever. been through there 2 times since 1995, 1 was when I40 was closed due to the rock slide and the other time was when I had to go to maryland.

After living in VA for 3 years... I can honestly say that was enough, and too long at that. I won't be going back. ;)

Handgunlaw.us which is kept updated very well still shows VA honoring a TN permit.

Remeber just because two states don't have Reciprocity doesn't mean that you can't carry there. TN has Reciprocity with only a few states, but now recognizes all state permits, so no need for a Reciprocity agreement.

Of course just by looking at the VA page it doesn't list TN, so makes you wonder.

If you have to go to VA, just remember you can OC in VA without a permit.

For what its worth, a poster on thehighroad.com posted some information that he says he got talking to the Virginia State Police. Here's the link. Scroll down to post #6

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=385558&highlight=virginia

I refer all of you to the VCDL's VA-Alert from May 7: VCDL VA-Alert May 7,2008

"If you live in Virginia, but work in Tennessee and carry a gun with a Virginia CHP, please read.

Virginia and Tennessee used to have a written reciprocal agreement to recognize each others CHPs. Tennessee told Virginia that they could not find their copy of that agreement and suggested each state simply recognize each other's permit unilaterally.

That sounded like a reasonable idea, as one would think that nothing would really change.

WRONG.

It turns out that Tennessee has a provision in their law that says if you live in a state that does NOT have a written reciprocal agreement and you work in Tennessee more than 30 hours a week for more than six months, then you MUST get a Tennessee CHP in order to carry there!

I just got off the phone with Tom Lambert of the Virginia State Police and he is going to be checking into this ASAP. I will advise as soon as I hear back."

Perhaps they couldn't find it after all? :/ How you could lose something like that is beyond me

Well from that it sounds like the "offical" reciprocity may have been dropped. But as I said before, that is not requied for permits from one state to be valid in another.

It sounds like the issue has more to do with TN law when it comes to working in TN a certain amount of hours and carrying a firearm. Not that TN residents can't carry in TN... or for that matter that a VA resident can't carry in TN. Just TN wants you to have to get a TN permit also if you work here.

Well from that it sounds like the "offical" reciprocity may have been dropped. But as I said before, that is not requied for permits from one state to be valid in another.

It sounds like the issue has more to do with TN law when it comes to working in TN a certain amount of hours and carrying a firearm. Not that TN residents can't carry in TN... or for that matter that a VA resident can't carry in TN. Just TN wants you to have to get a TN permit also if you work here.

However, the VA link listed in the OP does not list TN as one of the states that VA recognizes.

Is that not just valid for VA residents?

- OS

AFAIK in all the states that allow OC without a permit, anyone (residents and non-residents) can carry that way without a permit.

You go by the laws of the state you are in at the time. Sort of like those with permits from TX, AR or other states that don't allow any type of OC can still OC when they are in TN with their permit.

Reciprocity Update - Virginia

Tennessee's Department of Safety is charged by law with the duty to publish a list of states that honor Tennessee's handgun carry permits. According to that list, Virginia honors Tennessee permits.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

However, the Virginia State Police web site does not at this time list Tennessee as a state whose handgun permits are honored in Virigina.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

TFA has contacted Virginia state police to seek clarification of the status of Tennessee permits. In the meantime, those intending to travel in Virginia may want to seek clarification of this change in the law.