Good Gunshop in Memphis????

jay1313g

I am looking for a good gunshop in Memphis. I have done limited business with Guns and Ammo for almost 20 years and cringe every time I enter the store. They are only 5 minutes for the office so I will stop there only to pick up the little things I need or if they are the only place I can find a particular gun. If you are interested in buying something to equip a paranoid "government's gonna get ya" soldier, they might pay some attention to you. Otherwise, it's a "you buy it or you don't" attitude. Their store policies are not written to build long term relationships. (i.e. You send the gun to the manufacturer if there is a problem once you buy it and $100 transfer fees.;))

Recently, I purchased a Ruger 22/45 from Sportsman's Warehouse and they have a reasonable selection but not too much to offer in the way of expert advice or service if I need help. I have been impressed with the service at Range USA but they have a limited selection.

I'm looking for a shop that I can build a relationship with and wants my business.

Suggestions???

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a good gunshop in Memphis. I have done limited business with Guns and Ammo for almost 20 years and cringe every time I enter the store. They are only 5 minutes for the office so I will stop there only to pick up the little things I need or if they are the only place I can find a particular gun. If you are interested in buying something to equip a paranoid "government's gonna get ya" soldier, they might pay some attention to you. Otherwise, it's a "you buy it or you don't" attitude. Their store policies are not written to build long term relationships. (i.e. You send the gun to the manufacturer if there is a problem once you buy it and $100 transfer fees.;))

Recently, I purchased a Ruger 22/45 from Sportsman's Warehouse and they have a reasonable selection but not too much to offer in the way of expert advice or service if I need help. I have been impressed with the service at Range USA but they have a limited selection.

I'm looking for a shop that I can build a relationship with and wants my business.

Suggestions???

Move to Nashville, we got a few good gun shops around here.:D

Research and become your own expert.Then when you walk in you know what you want.Then you can join in the posts about the gun store employees who don't know a damn thing.:tough:

I am looking for a good gunshop in Memphis. I have done limited business with Guns and Ammo for almost 20 years and cringe every time I enter the store. They are only 5 minutes for the office so I will stop there only to pick up the little things I need or if they are the only place I can find a particular gun. If you are interested in buying something to equip a paranoid "government's gonna get ya" soldier, they might pay some attention to you. Otherwise, it's a "you buy it or you don't" attitude. Their store policies are not written to build long term relationships. (i.e. You send the gun to the manufacturer if there is a problem once you buy it and $100 transfer fees.:tough:)

Suggestions???

I feel for you man - I'm in the same boat.

I've not found a gun shop in Memphis that's even remotely worthy of the 'attaboy' posts I see for gun shops in central and east Tennessee.

We're screwed.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

This post has really made me think. I've got about XX,XXX dollars to invest but I estimate I need about XXX,XXX more dollars to get going. Anyone with a sizable amount of capital interesting in filling what is an obvious gap in the local market? A knowledgeable, approachable, friendly gun shop with a good selection where you won't be treated like garbage? Maybe some female employees to help the ladies. I don't like going into G&A because they are total jerkweeds but I can imagine it's worse for females. Cheap transfers. Central location.

Or maybe an established Nashville area shop would like to expand to a second location in Memphis with me as your invested partner? We could combine your industry knowledge, reputation, contacts, capital with my investment, MBA, entrepreneurial spirit, and desire to escape the corporate world.

Edited by AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
This post has really made me think. I've got about XX,XXX dollars to invest but I estimate I need about XXX,XXX more dollars to get going. Anyone with a sizable amount of capital interesting in filling what is an obvious gap in the local market? A knowledgeable, approachable, friendly gun shop with a good selection where you won't be treated like garbage? Maybe some female employees to help the ladies. I don't like going into G&A because they are total jerkweeds but I can imagine it's worse for females. Cheap transfers. Central location.

Or maybe an established Nashville area shop would like to expand to a second location in Memphis with me as your invested partner? We could combine your industry knowledge, reputation, contacts, capital with my investment, MBA, entrepreneurial spirit, and desire to escape the corporate world.

I've thought about this for some time - I just don't have the capital required to pull it off by myself right now.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
I've thought about this for some time - I just don't have the capital required to pull it off by myself right now.

Don't count yourself out. If we could get four or five people to pool our money, we'd have the capital plus an immediate employee base. Perhaps a second mortgage on a home or something like that to get the necessary money.

That said, the couple things I know from experience with starting up a small business is that 1) you work insane hours for the first couple years 2) you make insanely little for the first couple years.

Help me out here people, from what I can think of you'd need...

1) Retail space.

2) Equipment/fixtures/technology.

3) INVENTORY - Major major expense.

4) Appropriate licensing. - Absolutely no idea of these requirements - this is why it might be a good idea to have a satellite office of an existing mid-TN business.

5) Employees.

6) A serious advertising budget.

What else?

Edited by AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
Range USA will treat you well, but their selection is very limited. They can order almost anything, though.

Yeah Range USA is great! Scott and crew are some of the nicest people around. Haven't been back to Rangemaster since I discovered RangeUSA.

I'd like people to say, haven't been back to G&A since I discovered (insert new shop name here).

Range USA will treat you well, but their selection is very limited. They can order almost anything, though.

Indeed, I love RangeUSA, though their limited selection really hurts - even when you find a good deal online, you're going to pay an additional $50+ for your FFL transfer and BG check.

I've always envisioned a shop like RangeUSA with a better selection and low FFL transfer fees.

Open a shop with a well thought out indoor gun range and you would have something.

RangeUSA has a great indoor range, albeit sorta short and limited to handguns. Ranges are insanely expensive to build...

Guest superslacker

I've said this before, but Sportsmans Warehouse on Winchester has a great selection of handguns and their prices are usually the lowest around, and the people behind the counter are usually pretty nice. I also like Brighton Arms for their selection.

I've said this before, but Sportsmans Warehouse on Winchester has a great selection of handguns and their prices are usually the lowest around, and the people behind the counter are usually pretty nice. I also like Brighton Arms for their selection.

I've not made it up to Brighton, but was told their indoor range will allow you to shoot anything non-steel core up to 3600fps. I intend to head up that way when my AR is finished to shoot some...

Didn't know that about the range. I havn't shot my AR in over a year because of a lack of a place to shoot.

Yah, this is from the email Sean Powers sent me a while back:

CA, our range rates are $10.00 per hour and it is possible to shoot pistols, rifles and shotguns as long as the velocity is less than 3600 fps and the ammunition is not steel core.

Rawk.

Guest Wilson1

Not in Memphis, but I have done decent business with Jeff at Gun Exchange on Goodman Road in Olive Branch MS. Also much business with Monte and Ellis at Dabb's on Highway 51 in Southaven. Long guns at either won't be a problem. Handguns of course will need a transfer. For the prices I have been able to 'negotiate' on weapons, any reasonable transfer fee should be offset by their good pricing. Selection at Dabb's is good too, great deals on previously owned items.

I would gladly put my resume in for a position at a NEW customer oriented gun shop in Memphis, as customer service and knowledge at the big chains - Bass Pro, Sportsmans, Guns & A**holes, is sorely lacking. I'm currently in HVAC equipment sales, but firearms is my passion.

Tell the guys at the two stores I referred to above, that Mike Wilson sent ya!

Mike

Guest sagebrushjim

Do your research and go and look at G&A , but the best bet for a pruchase is to use Online Ordering from "Bud's Gun Shop" and find a Good FFL Transfer Agent locally... It is not difficult to find Agents that will do a Transfer for $20 to $25... I have bought 7 Firearms from Bud's in the past couple of years and they usually have the Local Prices Beat with Shipping Included... Go to Gunbroker.com and you can do a Search for FFL Transfer Agents by Area or Zip Code ...

Guest Revelator

I've been kind of all over the place with my firearm-related spending. I guess I haven't found the one place that I want to go back to again and again. Some places are better than others in one area, but not as good in another. I like Range USA's lanes, but since I didn't take any classes there they won't let me draw from the holster. (Insert loud buzzer sound here.) I've taken classes at Range Master, but all I can shoot there is a pistol. I probably like Brighton Arms the best, for shooting and buying, but they are hardly local. It is 45 minutes for me to get up there. But I can shoot anything there any way I like, and they have a pretty good selection of guns and they are friendly. Since I don't shoot that often the drive is not that big an issue, and when I go there I can take everything--the pistol, the shotgun, and the 308. I'm all about consolidation.

I work part time at Brighton Arms to support my gun habit. :mad: Sean is a great guy and we all try to be helpful as possible. We recently hired an additional gunsmith so our one smith isn't so covered up. I encourage you guys to check us out.

Guest bazookazilla

When I purcahsed my Kimber last year, RangeUSA was almost 10% cheaper than Guns and Ammo. I did have to wait almost a month for it to come in, AND G&A had one in stock, but I really wanted to buy from RangeUSA. They have always been very friendly and helpful to me.

Guest canynracer

Gunshop=RangeUSA, it doesnt take long to get in what you ordered. Otherwise, I would say Classic Arms, but one of the guys there needs to smile more...if you get Chance or some of the other guys, they are helpful. They are on Germantown rd, near Corky's BBQ

but still, I buy from RangeUSA. They give you two free lane passes, 10% of merchandise you purchase (not the gun) that day, and you get 10 bucks off classes. Not bad, and I have very seldom seen lower prices.

WOW!!!! I never thought this thread would take off like this. I figured there would be at least one person to defend G&A. I personally don't have the time or funds to back a gun shop but I'd be more than willing to donate a marketing degree and 20 years worth of business experience to helping get it off the ground.

Guest 1/7GRUNT

+1 for Brighton Arms. Yea it took me almost an hour to get there but from all i have heard here and at THR i not looking forward to shopping at G&A.

Recently bought a 442 at Brighton and was happy with the service.