New (to me) SIG 556

midtennchip

Just arrived on Friday. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to shoot it tomorrow, but here are my first impressions:

1. I like the right-side charging handle.

2. Fit and finish is very good, although I bought it used.

3. It is a bit unbalanced. Although it only weights just over a pound heavier than my Bushmaster, it is "front heavy." We'll see how much of a problem that is at the CIS Defense Carbine class in September.

Sig_003_Small_.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I know the picture is not great (I just can't seem to figure out how to post with the correct size). But, here's the first range report.

I only had time to shoot about 100 rounds. The first thing I noticed was the trigger, which is incredibly smooth (much better than the Bushmaster). It cycled well (no problems at all) and the recoil was slightly less than the Bushy. Although it isn't as balanced as the Bushmaster, I didn't notice it as much as I thought I would while shooting. It was also VERY accurate. I only shot from a max of 50 yards, but kept a 2" group (which is great for me from a standing position) with a cheap red dot sight. The Bushy appears to be slightly less accurate with approximately 3" groups with the same sight.

I tried Federal 55g FMJ, Federal 55g HP, factory reloaded 55g FMJ, and factory reloaded 55g PSP (reloads from Wisconsin Cartridge). It ate everything without a hiccup. I used both steel mags and Magpul PMAGs.

Overall, I was impressed with the SIG. A smooth shooter with better trigger pull and less muzzle rise than my Bushmaster. And, unlike many, I like the right side charging handle. My only complaint is that the mag release is slightly further forward than the AR, which means people with smaller hands (like me) have to stretch slightly to reach it.

does the sig have the direct gas operation like the original design or does it have a piston?

No, it has a short-stroke gas piston.

Yes, it does have that plastic look to it, but only if you get the standard handguard. If you upgrade to the SWAT model, it doesn't have that look. I just wasn't paying the additional money on this one.

No, this one did not have iron sights. However, many people buying the SWAT or Commando version are selling their front sight (which is unique to the SIG 556 with only Sampson making an after market version). I bought one for $20 yesterday. I already have rear flip sight, so I hope that will work well.

Congrats on your purchase.

After taking a test drive, my initial thoughts on the 556 are:

1. Trigger feels great! For a guy that spent his career shooting crappy GI triggers in his M4, the Sig trigger is pure luxury.

2. The mag release is 1/2" too far forward. This may not be big for some shooters , but it totally screws with someone used to the ergonomics of the M4.

Its something you can train around...but why should you have to?

3. The Command Arms plastic furniture is total crap. Why wouldnt Sig spec better gear on their rifle?

4. Pretty well balanced and an absolute joy to shoot! Im trying to stay off the pas piston bandwagon, but this rifle makes it hard to do.

Congrats on your purchase.

After taking a test drive, my initial thoughts on the 556 are:

1. Trigger feels great! For a guy that spent his career shooting crappy GI triggers in his M4, the Sig trigger is pure luxury.

2. The mag release is 1/2" too far forward. This may not be big for some shooters , but it totally screws with someone used to the ergonomics of the M4.

Its something you can train around...but why should you have to?

3. The Command Arms plastic furniture is total crap. Why wouldnt Sig spec better gear on their rifle?

4. Pretty well balanced and an absolute joy to shoot! Im trying to stay off the pas piston bandwagon, but this rifle makes it hard to do.

Joe, those were almost exactly my thoughts, with the exception of the balance. Before shooting it, I thought the foreend was a bit heavy, but I really didn't notice it that much while shooting.

The gas piston thing is new to me, but I did notice that it ran significantly cooler than the AR (as it is supposed to, I guess). Regardless, it is a nice feeling rifle. Those at the CIS class next month are welcome to shoot it if there's time.

Guest HexHead

I've had mine for a while now and put several hundred rounds through it. It's accurate, especially with heavier ammo like 62 gr. and eats the cheap Russian stuff like candy. I've never had any kind of hiccup with it.

It's got the BUIS, but I added a Trijicon Tri-power reflex sight. I like that it's heavier than an AR and that weight is at the muzzle as it has very little muzzle flip. I may swap out the handguards with the 551 ones someday.

I bought a couple of AR lowers as a hedge against the election, but after going to the range with a buddy that brought his M4 and trying it, I'm not sure I'm going to bother to build them out.

Guest gcrookston

Ditto Hex and Hero Gear. I have found mine performs best with 62 gr SS109, M855 or match due to the 1:7 barrel twist, achieving near consistant MOA groups using an IOR scope.

having fired a 550, I don't have much issue with them adding fins to the handguard, as the original design gets pretty hot. However, wasn't impressed with the molded plastic picatinny railing system (although they seem to hold my bipod with arms adaptor okay). Frankly, I think it looks silly.

As for the emergency sights: let's just say "why even bother". The holograph sight is a cheapo chinese toy and I threw the telescoping rear sight away, just too cheesy to please, put a PRS magpul on there...

I didn't need another mall-ninja food court clearing weapon, so I was looking for something a little more precision after discovering the accuracy. Now I hear they will introduce the sniper varient soon... maybe I'll be trading it for one of them.

Over-all, a heckuvarifle

DSC00018.jpg

Edited by gcrookston