Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

Do you carry with a round in the chamber?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry with a round in the chamber?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Scottech

Next topic: "What kind of safety do have engaged on your carry weapon?" Tungsten/Marswolf : "KEEP YOUR ****ING FINGER OFF THE ****ING TRIGGER".

I have a Kahr and that's my ***ING safety. :P

'scuse my ****ING language. :D

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
That doesn't have anything to do with it (well probably). In a .45, I carry 1 in the pipe and 6 in the mag. The first round is held differently and has a higher tendency to misfeed. Varies by platform, but usually that last round is tough to get in there. I could care less about spring life...I have a .30 cal ammo can full of springs.

Get a gun that wont jam on a full magazine and that problem goes away. :D

Guest GLOCKGUY
You make my point for me. Google Glock KaBoom. And also look at all of the NDs reported with Glocks. From what I see and read, there are quite a few guns more perfect than a Glock. The evidence is there, but ignored for some reason.

Glocks are a reasonably price handgun that solves some problems for LEO carry. They don't have a safety that officers forget to remove in adrenalin flow and they don't have a hammer that scares the public. But does that really make them the best gun for LE use? And if it is not a duty weapon, is it really even a good choice for carry by the public?

never mind its like talking to a wall

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest GLOCKGUY
If you carry a better gun, it's less important to keep your, " ****ING FINGER OFF THE ****ING TRIGGER" because it isn't necessary to do that.

Personally, I never keep my ****ING FINGER OFF THE ****ING TRIGGER. on patrol. Don't know any of my folks who do that. But they are military folks, not civilians. I don't do that in civilian life either. Mindless carry-over I guess....

Personally, I keep my ****ING FINGER on the trigger where it belongs on a properly designed handgun. I buy the proper weapon for the purpose. I don't by an inferior weapon and try to compensate for it.

never mind Edited by GLOCKGUY
And if it is not a duty weapon, is it really even a good choice for carry by the public?

Just as good as an XD or M&P or Beretta or SIG or H&K for some. Perfect by no means, but the best choice for my purposes, and I've tried nearly everything. I'm not a "professional" like Mars claims to be, but none of my Glocks have "kaboomed" or shot me in the ass. Defective maybe?

Guest GLOCKGUY
Just as good as an XD or M&P or Beretta or SIG or H&K for some. Perfect by no means, but the best choice for my purposes, and I've tried nearly everything. I'm not a "professional" like Mars claims to be, but none of my Glocks have "kaboomed" or shot me in the ass. Defective maybe?

I agree with EVERYTHING you just said here.:dirty:

If HK were the end all be all of firearms, everyone who had a clue would own them right?

:rolleyes:

Before I bought my last pistol, which I wanted in 9mm, I started researching what I consider the real "professionals" use.

I started with looking at the Navy Seals and then began reading on other Special Forces around the world and 2 guns came up pretty consistently.

In .45, it was different variations of the HK 45 USP (Seals - MK.23).

In 9mm, it was the Sig P226. So, since I was looking for a 9mm, I bought the Sig P226.

I have actually been looking at the HK, the only problem I have is that it is a little bulky for me. But I would consider it a superior firearm anyday. Of course, it would never replace my 1911.

Sorry to say, but I never saw Glock as being used by anyone serious (except LE looking for low-bid which i do not consider serious). That being said, other than the Croatian military and LE, I did not really see the XD being used either. But, I am not going to get rid of my XDs. Hk and Sig are not the end all, but the people who are the "extreme" users all trust their lives to them on a regular basis, so I would not knock them or even try to compare a Glock or an XD to them. They are in total different classes.

Before I bought my last pistol, which I wanted in 9mm, I started researching what I consider the real "professionals" use.

I started with looking at the Navy Seals and then began reading on other Special Forces around the world and 2 guns came up pretty consistently.

In .45, it was different variations of the HK 45 USP (Seals - MK.23).

In 9mm, it was the Sig P226. So, since I was looking for a 9mm, I bought the Sig P226.

I have actually been looking at the HK, the only problem I have is that it is a little bulky for me. But I would consider it a superior firearm anyday. Of course, it would never replace my 1911.

Sorry to say, but I never saw Glock as being used by anyone serious (except LE looking for low-bid which i do not consider serious). That being said, other than the Croatian military and LE, I did not really see the XD being used either. But, I am not going to get rid of my XDs. Hk and Sig are not the end all, but the people who are the "extreme" users all trust their lives to them on a regular basis, so I would not knock them or even try to compare a Glock or an XD to them. They are in total different classes.

I have a feeling that many "professionals" unofficially carry whatever they damn well please.

If you want to impersonate a SEAL, get a 226. If it's a cop, then get a Glock. Neither of the guns will make you a member of that profession (give a man a rope, it don't make him a cowboy). You may also find that the circumstances for which you need a gun are very different from the circumstances faced by the above mentioned professionals. Racehorses usually suck at pulling wagons and mules seldom win the Kentucky Derby.

Choose a quality (meaning reliable) gun that YOU shoot well and keep your eyes and ears open. Then, you'll probably be OK.

It seems that some folks want to superimpose their own experience onto other peoples' situations. Don't trust the internet ninjas, make your own choices. The time and effort you put into learning to shoot your own gun will be of much more use than a gun you bought because someone else told you it was the "best".

Back to the original thread... I always carry w/ one in the chamber. If you're not comfortable w/ this, then don't do it. Either way has it's own advantages/problems. Just train according to the choice you make.

There are quite a few guns these days that are accurate and reliable. I've carried one for years that is that way - a Beretta 92SB. But safe design is a legitimate consideration too as is a handgun that gives you options rather than one type of action fits all mentality.

I don't see what is so special about a Glock that it inspires such resolute loyalty and devotion. They work fine for duty within the limitations of their design. But they have problems too that are well known and documented.

I certainly agree that you need to have a carry handgun that you can learn to shoot well with practice. I had to learn to shoot a Beretta, Glock, USP, SIG, etc. But I want more than shootability in a handgun. If I can get them, I also want other features and significant safety factors. Gun manufacturers are getting better and better at offering that.

The XD-M is an example. If I wanted a striker fired 40 S&W, that is undoubtedly what I would buy. Why not? But I still want the ability to de-cock and re-cock too, so for now I stay away from striker fired handguns except for the P7M8 which has de-cock / re-cock capability.

I'm still waiting for the perfect gun. Meantime, I'll go with the best I can find. I've always been willing to tell the bad points as well as the good about any gun I have or have had and why in many cases I traded them. I see no reason to not do that.

I've always been willing to tell the bad points as well as the good about any gun I have or have had and why in many cases I traded them. I see no reason to not do that.

Same here--I'll freely admit that Glock sights need to be replaced before you even make it home with the new gun. Otherwise, they are just the ticket (for me, anyway).

Guest canynracer

Glock 34's are so damn dangerous...oh wait, I meant the OWNERS of Glock 34s...

they just walk by and BANG...poor bastards didnt even see it coming...they flop around on the floor with a bullet in their ass...

heheheh...

Glock 34's are so damn dangerous...oh wait, I meant the OWNERS of Glock 34s...

they just walk by and BANG...poor bastards didnt even see it coming...they flop around on the floor with a bullet in their ass.

:rofl:

Hey man, you're the one who handed it to me and talked me out of that XD-M...if only I had gotten a gun with a grip safety!

The XD-M is a perfect example... of "pimp my gun". Take a perfectly good, simple gun and pimp it up so more folks who talk more than shoot will buy it. That's a wonderful example.:up:

Of course, that's just my opinion... and I would never put my opinion forth as anything but an opinion, no matter how much of a ninja I thought I was.

The XD-M is a perfect example... of "pimp my gun". Take a perfectly good, simple gun and pimp it up so more folks who talk more than shoot will buy it. That's a wonderful example.:up:

Well, maybe you are right. What I see in an XD-M is a gun with a fully supported chamber to eliminate KaBooms, grip safety to prevent your gun from going off as you holster it, and a design that doesn't have to be dry fired to field strip, thus preventing most of those NDs we all read about. The backstrap thing is a nice touch too.

If that's pimping, then I'll take more of it. I'd call it more like evolving into a much better handgun. But if you like an unsafe antiquated design, then more power to you.

Guest janwbrown616

Not sure what "PROFESSIONALS" are being referred too, but a lot of the ones I know that are required to carry a GLOCK, end up purchasing one for themselves OR buy their's back from Glock, after the department turns it in. Guess there ALL mistaken too.....

There are many great handguns out there. They all have their followers and their haters. They all sell a lot of weapons and they do so for a reason.

Ford or Chevy, Honda, Toyota... duh!!! Everyone has their own beliefs and I'm glad we have the freedom to do so. It's a shame some might close their mind to new ideas. Sure are a lot of weapons out there that have come around to "Plastic" , following Glock....

Not sure about some of the others, BUT, I know my Glock WILL NOT go off if I don't pull the trigger. I know the weapon, I know how it's built and I know Why it won't.

But, again, to each his own....

That might make you a... what?

Looks like Glocks aren't the only guns that have a "following", huh? Still pushing the typical "gun rag" facts rather than admitting that yours is just another opinion, huh? I guess the primary advantage of narcissism is never having to question yourself.

Glocks work, SIGs work, HKs work (not to mention many others). Pick what you shoot best, but don't pick anything based on what anyone else uses or says. Their situation/use of the tool may differ from yours. By the way, anyone can eventually learn to shoot a gun w/ a crappy trigger reasonably well provided that he has an unlimited budget (Uncle Sam's budget) and is being paid for his time. Some folks who have benefited from this have apparently forgotten that the rest of us don't have this kind of "sponsorship". We usually don't choose to handicap ourselves in this way. We try to pick a gun that we shoot well, w/ a good trigger, and work within our own budget learning to use it as well as we can. Just another example of how one man's view of the world doesn't mean jack diddly to another man.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Absolute crock.

True with larger Semi Autos. However, my experience with .380 Semi Autos has been different. Can't explain why, won't try, but for some reason brand new .380s have a tendency to have a feed problem with full mags until they are broken in. First round ok, second round stovepipes. This was with single stack mags only. Happened to me on Astra, Bersa and Interarms PPK. Problem stopped after mags were used for awhile.

It was the mags and not the guns. Tried older mags in new guns--no problems.Also, I use nothing but factory mags (no after markets.)

Anybody else experience the same problem?

Oh yeah, to original thought in thead. Nowadays I usually carry S&W J-frames, but do carry a BERSA Thunder .380 or the G23 on a whim. One in the tube, always. Bersa already has a strong trigger pull and I put NY1 in G23. I don't put finger in trigger guard until clear of holster, but gun can catch on something you are wearing. Hard but smooth trigger pull is just extra margin of safety. Since I shoot only DAO with revolvers I am used to stronger trigger press. Shoot only SD short range anymore so I don't need target trigger.