piston AR, which one?

gomer pyle

+1  I have 2 MRP's and I'm down to 5 barrels b/w them.  Fantastic rifles.

I would still look hard at why you want a piston AR.  They are marginally cleaner but noticeably front heavy.  Someone mentioned it above and its good advice (endorsed by SME's) about SBR, suppressed, auto.  You don't have to frantically GI clean ANY of your AR's.  Some people just can't get over that, especially prior military, but its gotten better over the years thanks to people like Pat Rogers.

As an aside, those gun shops are recommending piston rifles because they're more expensive and they're in the business of selling guns.  Most everyone here isn't selling you anything, just giving advice based on experience.

I'm not a piston gun elitist or anything (my current EBR is a DI gun I built) but I would say they are more than marginally cleaner, at least when talking about the bolt carrier group. The piston gets downright filthy just like the bolt in a DI gun but I would give a distinct edge to the piston gun for sheer ease of cleaning. Mine was a large piston gun so it was really front heavy, which is why I no longer have it. I will probably buy another piston gun someday though. I like them. 

I've got several DI & several piston guns, I personally prefer my DI guns but each to their own I guess.

I just "run them wet" with an occasional squirt of CLP & they'll run until either A.) The weapon becomes to hot to handle. Or B.) I'm out of ammo, sometimes it takes me several hours to run out of ammo. Or C.) A combination of both A.) & B.) Happens.

Red dot. I liked his eotech xps3 but i don't need nv. Also, i have read alot of bad reviews on eotech

Don't beleive them.  Eotechs are GTG.  They don't have the ridiculous battery life of the Aimpoints, but they do still have excellent battery life, and are every bit as reliable and tough, IMHO.

Red dot. I liked his eotech xps3 but i don't need nv. Also, i have read alot of bad reviews on eotech

What bad reviews have you read? Please post the links, I run a Eotech 512 on my AR an never had a problem. But if there is something I should be aware of I'd like to know about it.

Thanks

What bad reviews have you read? Please post the links, I run a Eotech 512 on my AR an never had a problem. But if there is something I should be aware of I'd like to know about it.

Thanks

Google is your friend because you will find lots and lots of stories out there.  Personally, I had 4 unit issued 552's die on my last tour.  The problems were so bad that our unit went to Aimpoint M4's after that trip.  511,512,551,552's suffered from bad battery boxes and significant battery drain in particular.  The N size batteries on the 511/551 sucked balls and were also difficult to source.  There was a huge mess with the 553 too.  I've read that the newer E/XPS sights are a lot better but I've never used them.

While it is true that anything mechanical can and will break, for years EOTechs appeared to lead the stats.

FWIW, I love the reticle on EO's.  I just don't trust them anymore.

Google is your friend because you will find lots and lots of stories out there.  Personally, I had 4 unit issued 552's die on my last tour.  The problems were so bad that our unit went to Aimpoint M4's after that trip.  511,512,551,552's suffered from bad battery boxes and significant battery drain in particular.  The N size batteries on the 511/551 sucked balls and were also difficult to source.  There was a huge mess with the 553 too.  I've read that the newer E/XPS sights are a lot better but I've never used them.

While it is true that anything mechanical can and will break, for years EOTechs appeared to lead the stats.

FWIW, I love the reticle on EO's.  I just don't trust them anymore.

Thanks for the come back and for your service. Like I said I run a 512  an other then the battery life I've not had any problems and AA batteries are easy to find. But then again I don't use it on a daily basis with my life on the line.