Caving

UncleJak

I went caving today. Went about a mile to a mile and a half in. I can't wait to go back; I think I can belly crawl another quarter mile from the looks of things.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Edited by UncleJak
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavers don't use the term "Spelunking". They just call it caving. Tennessee is honeycombed with caves. It's great on a hot summer day or a cold winter day.  A friend of mine is a caver and goes all over Applachia crawlin' through caves. I have been with him a few times. Beware of the "Black Damp".

This looks like a cave in Cedars of Lebanon I've been in.

Just be sure to watch your footing and let someone know you're going. Real easy to slip and break a leg or something.

yea. My buddy that went with me had me draw a map for my wife and she had a "worry time" that I had to check in by.
Where's the one in cedars of lebanon? I'd love to check it out too.

yea. My buddy that went with me had me draw a map for my wife and she had a "worry time" that I had to check in by.
Where's the one in cedars of lebanon? I'd love to check it out too.

Its been awhile, all I can remember is that its near several pavilions with grills.

That looks an awful lot like a cave I have been in while helping researchers with the Tennessee Salamander.

The only thing, I can't remember where the cave was.  Another guy drove there and back and I only went once.

If by change it is the same, we went in a pretty good ways.  After we did the check point, we did a bit of wild cave exploring.  We found an end of at least one passage way.

Edited by vontar

I'll have to check into it. Thanks!

If you're into caving, you should check out Mammoth, Cumberland caverns and the lost sea. It's obviously been a few years, but back when I was a Boy Scout we did some of the wild tours which required overnight gear and a helmet. Very cool stuff. These weren't your standard walking tours either. I can remember having to lay on my back to slither into a gap, then roll end over end pushing my pack ahead of me to progress.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, they also offer oil lamp tours etc which are still pretty cool. Last time I did that there were people well into their 70's in the cave.

I'll have to check into it. Thanks!

If you're into caving, you should check out Mammoth, Cumberland caverns and the lost sea. It's obviously been a few years, but back when I was a Boy Scout we did some of the wild tours which required overnight gear and a helmet. Very cool stuff. These weren't your standard walking tours either. I can remember having to lay on my back to slither into a gap, then roll end over end pushing my pack ahead of me to progress.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, they also offer oil lamp tours etc which are still pretty cool. Last time I did that there were people well into their 70's in the cave.

those are all great caves. I've worked through all of them and now I'm looking for smaller, less explored caves.
There's nothing better than crawling on your back in the mud in the dark!