MSAR STG-E4

I had an E4 that was awesome.  MSAR had a LOT of drama a couple years back....the owner was pulling some shennanigans, closed the company, failed on warranties, etc, etc.  A lot of unhappy people....I would avoid MSAR based on what I saw.  The only reason I sold it was I never really used it compared to my SCAR/ARs.  If money weren't an option, I would still have it.

I would get the Steyr without a doubt between the two.  I shot some of the Aussie's Steyrs here and they were a lot of fun.  Odd selector though.

I've got both, and while MSAR is producing good weapons these days, I'd stick w/ the Steyr. Well, actually, I'd go find a Tavor but a Steyr will do.

Lemme ask this, between the Tavor and an entry level LWRC M6(to make it a comparable price point), which would you choose as I know you have an LWRC. ;)

Buy a Tavor and then you can use standard ar mags.

You can in the E4 and the AUG(so long as it has the NATO stock).

I would get the Steyr without a doubt between the two.  I shot some of the Aussie's Steyrs here and they were a lot of fun.  Odd selector though.

You think the dummy button on an Aussie Steyr is weird, I remember shooting an original FA STG 77, with the selector being how far back you pulled the trigger.  I realize that's how the Aussie's work, but they still have the ability to disable it.

You think the dummy button on an Aussie Steyr is weird, I remember shooting an original FA STG 77, with the selector being how far back you pulled the trigger.  I realize that's how the Aussie's work, but they still have the ability to disable it.

Wait, what???? The fire selector is integrated into the trigger?! :stare:

Wait, what???? The fire selector is integrated into the trigger?! :stare:

If you pull it halfway it fires on semi.  If you pull it all the way back it goes full auto.  I can't see that going wrong in a gun fight.

The FN P90 works the same way... it actually works way better than it sounds.

FA in a gunfight ain't a good thing for a lot of reasons. When that adrenaline is pumping, I can't imagine that one wouldn't gorilla squeeze that trigger in the moment. Not a feature I would prefer.
  • Like 1

FA in a gunfight ain't a good thing for a lot of reasons. When that adrenaline is pumping, I can't imagine that one wouldn't gorilla squeeze that trigger in the moment. Not a feature I would prefer.

Yeah, I've been in paintball matches where this has occured let alone in a fight for your life. Sounds like Communism, looks good on paper, not so much in practicality.

Lemme ask this, between the Tavor and an entry level LWRC M6(to make it a comparable price point), which would you choose as I know you have an LWRC. ;)

Depends on what you want it for. Bullpups are perfect for CQB applications but if I want to be able to reach out, I'll go w/ my LWRC.

If I had only one, it'd be some version of my LWRC. Most of my training has been on the M4 platform and that's what I'm most comfortable with.

However, all of these are battle tested rifles (except the MSAR) and in the end it comes down to personal preference... any should be reliable platforms.

One caveat, make sure you are comfortable with the trigger on a bullpup though... a lot of people hate the linkage triggers.

And as a side note, my Steyr uses standard AR mags... wouldn't own it otherwise.

• Like 1

Oh, there's still a fire-control selector on the P90... if you want semi you get semi. It's only in the auto setting that the "squeeze more for more bullets" trigger starts working.

Gotcha. Never used one of those before.
Guest ThePunisher
Get the Steyr Aug 3 CQC NATO and you can use any stanag mag. The Steyr propriety mags run around $45 to $50, and for $100.00 more, you can get the NATO stock version that use Pmags and are cheaper compared to the Steyr mags.
Are the NATO version Augs out yet, or in any numbers? Can't quote where I heard it but Steyr may be producing only standard versions for now due to the crazy gun market. The MSAR has a last round bolt hold open as well as the standard Aug. The NATO Aug does not if that makes a difference to you. My MSAR STG556 goes bang every time and is well made. Even with a 20 inch barrel it is still shorter than an AR. I like the AUG top rail better than MSAR's. A little longer and sits flush. I've read and heard that MSAR mags will fit in standard AUGS but never confirmed. Don't wait to long on either and buy plenty of mags. Edited by Blitzen

Are the NATO version Augs out yet, or in any numbers? Can't quote where I heard it but Steyr may be producing only standard versions for now due to the crazy gun market. The MSAR has a last round bolt hold open as well as the standard Aug. The NATO Aug does not if that makes a difference to you. My MSAR STG556 goes bang every time and is well made. Even with a 20 inch barrel it is still shorter than an AR. I like the AUG top rail better than MSAR's. A little longer and sits flush. I've read and heard that MSAR mags will fit in standard AUGS but never confirmed. Don't wait to long on either and buy plenty of mags.

From the little homework I've done VLTOR got contracted to make the recievers for the Steyr AUG A3 along with Steyr and another producer BUT I don't know if those are the NATO variants or not. I also noticed that when looking on Gunbroker they vary and come with all sorts of twist ratios, one said 1/7, another 1/9, and one from the Armory Gun Shop in Lebanon says that it has a 1/10 5R.

VLTOR made some receivers from what I've read.  Didn't FN knock out some barrels?

Either way, I think now or the next couple months is THE time to pick one up.  I would grab a Steyr if it were my money.

Lol, great minds think alike... or messed up ones, either way. ;)  :wave:

Some of the early submachine guns had triggers like that. Tap for semi, hold for full.

Well they didn't exactly work the same way.  The reason you could get semi out of an M45, for example, is because the cyclic rate was so darn slow that if you pulled once and released it took forever for the bolt to cycle.  The way the Steyr works is way different.  It is actually a selector dependent upon how far back the trigger goes.

Well they didn't exactly work the same way.  The reason you could get semi out of an M45, for example, is because the cyclic rate was so darn slow that if you pulled once and released it took forever for the bolt to cycle.  The way the Steyr works is way different.  It is actually a selector dependent upon how far back the trigger goes.

Correct.  There is one that I'm thinking of that's like what I was saying but I can't think of which one it is.  My head is far to pre-occupied with my rebuilds to be thinking about the others.

Swedish K's are fun though, we had one out the other day for shiggles.  :D

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Correct. There is one that I'm thinking of that's like what I was saying but I can't think of which one it is. My head is far to pre-occupied with my rebuilds to be thinking about the others.

I've shot nearly every FA subgun made before the 80s. Gimme a hint and I'll probably know it.

I've shot nearly every FA subgun made before the 80s. Gimme a hint and I'll probably know it.

I want to say it was one of the CZ series like the 24/26, one of those.

I'll have to read back and see.

Don't think Russian, not British, maybe German?

It's the 24/26.  Light pull (as you said was single, all the way back full) Mea Culpa.

Edited by gjohnsoniv
[quote name="gjohnsoniv" post="1018999" timestamp="1377098770"] I want to say it was one of the CZ series like the 24/26, one of those. I'll have to read back and see. Don't think Russian, not British, maybe German?[/quote] You're thinking of the 23. Pretty unique gun. One of the few I haven't shot but have gotten to second base with. The only Czech sub I've had to shoot were those little scorpions, which are a neat range toy to play with. Edit: yeah, I found it on wiki- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa_vz._23 Edited by TMF