Loctite on Grip Bushings

rd97

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster
I would put a dab of blue Loctite on them. (dont over do it)

You can also use finger nail polish for a field expedient build when Loctite isn't available.

Which color?

RED LOCTITE.

LOCTITE 262 TO BE EXACT, don't monkey around and use something that will cease up and cause headaches later and don't use hairspray or other aerosol based products or nail polish.

And just a tiny little dab. About the size of a pin head and roll it around the threads to get an even coating.

Edited by jwp
  • Administrator

I need to find the thread from Glocktalk where some sub-genius used a little JB Weld on his. It was one of those mistakes that took about 3-4 years to come to fruition, but he was uber pissed when he bought new grip panels and realized the old ones weren't gonna come off. :eek:

• Administrator

I realize that JWP knows his stuff, but I'd try Blue loctite first as it's not *AS* strong as red. If the blue doesn't work and allows the screw to loosen up eventually, then switch to red. Red is the more permanent of the two.

Thanks. I have not done this process before and want to do it right. I called alumagrip and they also said use a dab of red. I'll post some pictures when I get the new grips on.

Not surprising considering it is what the pros use.

I realize that JWP knows his stuff, but I'd try Blue loctite first as it's not *AS* strong as red. If the blue doesn't work and allows the screw to loosen up eventually, then switch to red. Red is the more permanent of the two.

Don't use blue. Want me to list the reasons?

I'll list the first reason which is that it allows the bushings to loosen and wallow. If the screws loosen then what is the point?

Note the gunsmith in the picture below. Note that the only thing other than oil, solvent and some tools on his bench is RED LOCTITE (right middle edge).

43824444_xPQLf-M.jpg

• Administrator

And just because I didn't feel like reinventing the wheel when I could just copy and paste what someone else had already done...

http://www.bikernet.com/garage/loctitetech.asp

Read it. Make your own decisions based off of that.

For what it's worth, I save red Loctite for heavy duty things like... the bolts that hold my brake calipers to their mounting brackets on my cars. I use blue Loctite for things like machine screws on gun parts, unless there will be enough heat or torque to loosen blue up.

I really wouldn't recommend red Loctite for a grip panel, but whatever floats your boat.

• Administrator
Don't use blue. Want me to list the reasons?

I'll list the first reason which is that it allows the bushings to loosen and wallow. If the screws loosen then what is the point?

Note the gunsmith in the picture below. Note that the only thing other than oil, solvent and some tools on his bench is RED LOCTITE (right middle edge).

43824444_xPQLf-M.jpg

Never had that problem. Blue Loctite has worked fine for me for several years. Hell, I've got zero thread locker on my Wilson right now and the grip screws haven't moved a bit.

I stand by my recommendation to try Blue first and then move to Red if it becomes necessary. His bushings aren't going to wallow and cause damage if he pays attention to the screws for the first couple of range sessions and makes a decision based off of what he sees.

• Administrator

Not to be a dick, but that really doesn't mean anything to me. Note the cop in the picture below. He's the only one professional enough in that room to hold that gun.

cop_shoots_self_in_foot.jpg

:eek:

Never had that problem. Blue Loctite has worked fine for me for several years. Hell, I've got zero thread locker on my Wilson right now and the grip screws haven't moved a bit.

I stand by my recommendation to try Blue first and then move to Red if it becomes necessary. His bushings aren't going to wallow and cause damage if he pays attention to the screws for the first couple of range sessions and makes a decision based off of what he sees.

Fine. Introducing more gunk and grime into the material is highly recommended by every professional gunsmith on the planet. That's why they have jobs.

• Administrator
Fine. Introducing more gunk and grime into the material is highly recommended by every professional gunsmith on the planet. That's why they have jobs.

Your gunsmiths don't have access to Gun Scrubber or aerosol brake parts cleaner???

Not to be a dick, but that really doesn't mean anything to me. Note the cop in the picture below. He's the only one professional enough in that room to hold that gun.

cop_shoots_self_in_foot.jpg

I'm not trying to be a dick either, but when you have two manufacturers who are saying the exact same thing, what's the conclusion one might draw?

• Administrator
I'm not trying to be a dick either, but when you have two manufacturers who are saying the exact same thing, what's the conclusion one might draw?

That they are both wrong and that their recommendation is overkill. I'm surprised they didn't recommend green Loctite just so that they would never have to worry about the customer calling back and saying, "Um... my screw is loose again."

Seriously, anyone who has twisted a wrench for more than a few days knows that you can start out with the least invasive (or permanent) solution first and if that doesn't work, you can step up to the next level. There's no sense tig welding a screw if a little Blue loctite will work.