Opinions on fiber optic sights for home defense

Guest The Itis

Guest The Itis

Seems the biggest criticism of the fiber optic is that it doesn't glow in the dark like tritium or even a charged up gitd like nitesiters.

But, isn't it safe to say that if there isn't enough light for a fiber optic, then you shouldn't be shooting?

Meaning, if there's enough light for you to identify your target, then there's enough light for a fiber optic to do its thing.

Seems to me that people that rave about how tritium glows even in pitch black, are standing on some moot point. It's a gun sight, not a watch.

Thoughts?

you should check the truglo  tfo sights. they are fiber optic for day use and have tritium for night use. I run them on all my guns and think they are the best. I would suggest the yellow rear and green front sight set. this lets the front green sight pop and caught you eye very fast as the yellow rear are a little dimmer. however if shooting in the dark a weapon mounted or hand held light is a must have. also at night a flash light and fiber optic only is not a winning combination.

My HD pistol is an M&P VTAC with fiber optic and trijicon sights stacked on top of one another.

One thing I've noticed is that the Trijicons do very well in low light situations that the fiber optics won't excell in. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting anything I couldn't see well enough to identify positively. Having said that its not quite as black and white as that. There are plenty of situations I'm glad to have my fancy sights. One of their best aspects is that I can identify my pistol on the nightstand in a hurry.

If I had to have only one, for me it would be fiber optic on 9/10ths of my guns as they do better at the range in the daylight which is where my guns actually get shot. Having said that once the trijicon loses its mojo in the VTAC sights, I'll either have them recharged or replace the units altogether.
In a low light situation even with a flashlight 3 dot and FO sights can be hard to see. Night sights are much easier for this. I first realized this getting ready for an IDPA style night match. Even with the flashlight I had real trouble finding the sights on my normal competition gun. I switched to my pistol with night sights and it was much improved.