My 2nd favorite edc

Although I didn't forge this one, it is special to me. I used to be a butcher and this was my old knife. I cut it down and made a bear jaw handle. I completed the sheath tonight. It is cross draw with a 45 degree upward angle.Posted ImagePosted Image

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

• Like 1

Please bear with me but what would the process be unclejak? Heat, cut, quench? What are you cutting with? And are you quenching with oil?

If your just grinding them out then you need to keep them cool or they will lose there temper. So you cut/grind then dunk in water when it gets hot to the touch. Its a slow process. The thing your talking about is if you have access to heat treat. Then you cut it out, heat it to non magnetic and qu3nch in oil or water depending on the steel. Afterwards you temper it in the over or in the fire to abiut 375 degrees to keep it from being brittle.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

If your just grinding them out then you need to keep them cool or they will lose there temper. So you cut/grind then dunk in water when it gets hot to the touch. Its a slow process. The thing your talking about is if you have access to heat treat. Then you cut it out, heat it to non magnetic and qu3nch in oil or water depending on the steel. Afterwards you temper it in the over or in the fire to abiut 375 degrees to keep it from being brittle.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

yep...what he said.

Guest Broomhead
Whitewolf, I'm on mobile so I can't see your local, but I'm in Nashville and would be happy to help. Right now I do mostly stock removal, aka cut/grind. I have a decent belt grinder and a bandsaw that will help cut without overheating. I can also do heat treating if you'd like to do it from scratch. Edited by Broomhead

Wow, UncleJak, that is a nice knife.  I am no kind of knife smith but I have to say that, IMO, you may not have forged it but as you cut it down and made/fitted the handle I'd still say you 'made' the knife, yourself.

...or they will lose there temper.

And the last thing anyone needs is an angry blade.  Sorry, couldn't resist the bad pun.

• Like 1
Guest Broomhead

some of the real old kitchen knives make great blades.

How old we talking?

grandmas old knives

Gotcha, so pre sixties stuff, back when stuff was made worth a damn unlike most today.

The older stuff was high carbon steel, as apposed to all the stainless alloys available today. Pretty much if it rusts fairly easily, has a funky color to it (a patina), or is old then it will work good.

Now, that's not to say that you can't do the same exact thing to a stainless blade as well, it would just be a whole lot harder to re-heat treat if you screwed something up.

The older stuff was high carbon steel, as apposed to all the stainless alloys available today. Pretty much if it rusts fairly easily, has a funky color to it (a patina), or is old then it will work good.

Now, that's not to say that you can't do the same exact thing to a stainless blade as well, it would just be a whole lot harder to re-heat treat if you screwed something up.

Have some of you found then even all the old, carbon steel blades are not created equal?  I have some old, obviously carbon steel kitchen knives that will take a pretty good edge but don't seem to hold an edge very well.  Heck, I swear some of them get dull just sitting in a drawer.

• Like 1

Have some of you found then even all the old, carbon steel blades are not created equal?  I have some old, obviously carbon steel kitchen knives that will take a pretty good edge but don't seem to hold an edge very well.  Heck, I swear some of them get dull just sitting in a drawer.

That has to do with metalurgy(I think), the more carbon it has the longer it will hold an edge BUT the harder it is to sharpen, a double edged sword, so to speak. ;)

Have some of you found then even all the old, carbon steel blades are not created equal? I have some old, obviously carbon steel kitchen knives that will take a pretty good edge but don't seem to hold an edge very well. Heck, I swear some of them get dull just sitting in a drawer.

yes. And some of them aren't sharpened to keep an edge (too steep of a sharpening angle). We have some that are really sharp but don't last.you almost have to re-do the edges on some to make them last.

A good friend of mine worked in a butcher shop in hs in Chicago. He moved here when I was five and his son and I grew up together. The First time he sharpens a blade it takes hours and after that just a few quick licks but it will be razor sharp and hold an edge.