New road it going to take the house.

Guest TN.Frank

Guest TN.Frank

Well, saw some TDOT guys out front of my house today(Hwy. 127 N. a couple miles North of I-40) and one of em' knocked on the door. He wanted to know about the property lines, we talked a bit and I found out that by 2010 the 4 lane road for 127 N. will be running thru my living room,LOL. It'll also take out the double wide that I own next door to my main house. Guess the State will buy us out sometime within the next year if they're planning on getting the road in by 2010. I've never really liked living on 127 N., way too busy but dang, didn't plan on moving this soon. Anyway, just a heads up for anyone else that lives along 127 N. Talk to ya'll later.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
I totally hate Imminent Domain that the government uses to take private citizens land. Oh, wait, they will give you "fair market value" for your land.

They will give you "fair market value", just make sure YOU know what that is. The independent appraiser that they use should give a good fair value with regards to the scrutiney that the real estate industry is under currently, including appraisers. But, know what the prices and values are as well.

Guest TN.Frank

LOL, they better give me fair market value or they'll have to build a bridge over the house. We have no real money saved up to buy another place to live, what we get out of this property will go to paying off the mortgages and what's left over will go for a down payment on a new place. Part of my property will be on the East side of the road and will be prime property for anyone wanting to build a gas station, market, or anything else off of the hwy. I may see if I can just sell enough to let the road go thru and keep the rest to sell after the road is in, then it'll be worth 10 times as much as it's worth now.

A few years back they took a pizza restaurant that my Mother had in Morgan Co. for a Hwy. 62 project. She came out smelling like a rose from the deal. She was living in the restaurant at the time so she got paid for a business and a residence.

You might consider trying to operate a business out of you home or something like that... it can really up the amount of money that you get. :up:

Guest TN.Frank

Both places have a mortgage on em' so they've been appraised within the last couple years so I know what they're worth. Hopefully they'll add a bit to it since the land the road won't take will go up in value once the 4 lane is in. We're going to start looking for land elsewhere and try to get an idea of what we'd like built on it. My daughter is living in the double wide with my 3 grandsons and she can't afford much more then the meger rent we charge to help pay the mortgage on that place so we may end up getting a good chunk of land and building two homes on it with as much room as we can get between the two so we'll both have our own space. I'm sure things will work out ok.

Please, if you claim a business then do a business. To do otherwise would be dishonest and dishonorable. Hope you do get a good fair price for your hard earned land!

They know if you are really doing business there or not... I'm just saying really think about all the angles to claim whatever you can because believe me when I say this... they do this every day and know all of the angles to give you as little as they can.

Guest TN.Frank
Just hope they don't condemn it for you first. They've been known to do that from time to time.

How can they condemn a house that's being lived in, that's in good shape and that the bank appraised at $160,000 just a few months ago? I really don't think that's an issue at all.

Both places have a mortgage on em' so they've been appraised within the last couple years so I know what they're worth. Hopefully they'll add a bit to it since the land the road won't take will go up in value once the 4 lane is in. We're going to start looking for land elsewhere and try to get an idea of what we'd like built on it. My daughter is living in the double wide with my 3 grandsons and she can't afford much more then the meger rent we charge to help pay the mortgage on that place so we may end up getting a good chunk of land and building two homes on it with as much room as we can get between the two so we'll both have our own space. I'm sure things will work out ok.

Does she know how to cook and clean? If so, I may have room for her.:D Just kidding.

I hope they do give you a fair price. I don't personally know anyone who's been through such a situation, but I have heard of people coming out ahead on the deal.

Are they going to widen the road on only the north side of I-40? I don't generally get that way, but I make deliveries on the south side of 40 nearly every Monday. I'd hate for them to hinder my progress.

Guest TN.Frank

South of I-40 on 127 is already a 4 Lane and up around Jamestown they've already made it into a 4 lane. I just need to figure out who to talk to about the sale of the homes and land and when they're going to do it so I can get a time table set up for finding a new place to live and planning the move and all.

Guest TN.Frank

Thanks for the info. I already googled the first link yesterday but the 2nd one might come in handy. I spoke with someone at the construction office and they took my phone number and name to get in touch with me. It's probably the same lady that'll call. If I don't hear from her today I'll call her tomorrow.

Guest TN.Frank

Talked with Ann Andrews the head of the project in Nashville and she told me that they wouldn't even have funding for buy-outs for a couple years yet. She also told me that they pay fair market value plus they help with moving expenses and such, that I wasn't going to get screwed in the deal. I guess they've cracked down on screwing people out of their homes and property since ya'll last read about something like that taking place. Anyway, not in any hurry to move but it's always nice to plan ahead and two years will get here faster then you'd expect if you don't watch out. Talk to ya'll later.

Talked with Ann Andrews the head of the project in Nashville and she told me that they wouldn't even have funding for buy-outs for a couple years yet.

I was wondering about that. About 15 years ago, the state started seriously talking about adding a few lanes on SR 75 leading to Tri-Cities Airport. About 10 years ago, they told people it was going to happen. About 5 years ago, they actually bought the property of the folks in the way of the new road, including a friend of mine. Now they are finally actually building the new bridge they need over the South Holston River / Patrick Henry Lake. I'd say in about the spring, they might start some road grading.