Parts gun - 1022

graycrait

Got this 1022 together and got it on paper just to see how everything fit together.  It looks like it is going to be a good one, but time will tell.  The outline of the "group" is a dime.  Shot 10 shots in about 10 seconds off a wobbly table with a bag at 25 yards using bulk SK std vel.  No FTF or FTE.  Barrel is a used GM heavy varmint barrel I traded for with a guy from Nashville. The stock is used one I traded for with a guy from TN Ridge who is a TGOr.  The trigger group is an old used one that I traded for with yet another TGOr from Nashiville.  Receiver and bolt were in my parts box and although OEM, they are from different eras. The stock has two closed cell foam pressure pads in the barrel channel, one in front of the receiver and the other out near the tip of the forearm. Scope was given to me by a TGOr and is a one of those Midway special Simmons Whitetail Classics.  Scope mount is DNZ shimmed liked crazy.  

10shost10secondsoffricketytableandbag1_z

CraigsBlueTwin_zpsd63317c4.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else would say that's great and rave about it. Including me.

You, on the other hand, are probably lamenting that you didn't do better with a rifle built from leftover parts.

You know I'm joking. That's a very good looking gun for a parts gun.

Just needs a little bigger scope on it.

what I am thinking is this gun might shoot sub MOA at 100 with the right ammo, but right now I would expect a flier or two every now and then with a stock bolt. I will see.  I need all the magnification and light I can get with these eyes of mine:)  

That POS is junk, ship it to me(you pay shipping) with lots of ammo for proper tuning and fitment.

I will ship(you pay shipping) is a few weeks, no months for you to try. :yum:

All joking aside, ya done good there man.!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had a parts gun that looked and shot like that. My parts guns have been absent receivers for a long time. Can't seem to find any used ones reasonably priced. With Wal-Mart selling a brand new, unfired, Ruger 1022 for $234.00, it's about as cheao just to buy a new gun. I've got most parts for two guns, one stainless, but no receivers.

Finding receivers is the hard part as even a stripped used beater is going to cost about a 120.00 and all the after market receivers are considerably higher than that, so buying a new gun selling off the parts is the only way to go, better yet is you can buy a used 1022 for 150.00.  I shot this target last week at only 25 yards with the previously pictured rifle.  Supposed to be 4-shots but I got carried away with one.  My goal is sub 1/2" at 50 yards and sub 1" at 100 yards.  I need some serious upgrade in rests, ammo and technique.

4group_zps9a7c3b43.jpg

• 2 months later...
Very nice! I'm finding you are right about finding receivers. RC's Trading Post has had a few pop up lately but I can't decide and need to wait after Christmas anyway since I'm overboard on my spending this month. Also think I might as well go with a custom receiver since most of my other parts are custom too. I'm wondering if you've had any experience with - ??