Summit Viper SD climbing treestand

So my buddy presented me with a chance to buy his used (2012 model) Viper SD stand. He is purchasing another better suited to traditional archery.  Wanted to see if anyone has experience with this?  I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on it as he upgraded the seat pad and added a foot rest.

Ok so it seems to retail for almost $300. Seem to be going for $250-280 around Knoxville for the SD version. I'd say $200 is more than fair Climbing stands are great for getting elevated on land you don't own or aren't familiar with. If you have a hunting lease or own property I would much rather have two fixed stands over a climber. Edited by Lumber_Jack

Ok so it seems to retail for almost $300. Seem to be going for $250-280 around Knoxville for the SD version. I'd say $200 is more than fair Climbing stands are great for getting elevated on land you don't own or aren't familiar with. If you have a hunting lease or own property I would much rather have two fixed stands over a climber.

Thanks, Lumber_Jack! That is kind of what I was finding with my researching. Gonna let him know tonight that it's a go.

Summit Goliath owner here.  Previously owned the Python.  Love the Summit products.  Caution!  As stated above they are comfortable and since you have no front on the Viper models, wear your harness!  I have scared off some deer sitting comfy in the Goliath, but its a wrap around seat so no chance of falling out.

Summit Goliath owner here. Previously owned the Python. Love the Summit products. Caution! As stated above they are comfortable and since you have no front on the Viper models, wear your harness! I have scared off some deer sitting comfy in the Goliath, but its a wrap around seat so no chance of falling out.

I also have an original Viper that is open on the front, but the new Viper SD's have the wrap around bar. It's like the Goliah just a tad smaller. I still use the harness on my Viper SD though 'cause they are definitely comfy. That's good snoozin' on a frosty morning :) Edited by Batman

I'm pretty excited about this.  I told him it was a go.  Going to go on Monday and use his archery range and then get a personal tutorial on using it properly. He has definitely warned me on the importance of using the harness due to it being so comfortable!

• Like 1

I have a Summit Viper, and it's the second best stand I've ever owned. My first best stand was a 1978 Baker Stand. You know, the bear hug the tree as you climb stand?
Summit Stands are hard to beat!

DaveS

Seriously?... Baker's sucked donkey balls. Ain't no way in h e ll mine was better than any one of the 7 or 8 climbers I've owned. Edited by JWC

Seriously?... Baker's sucked donkey balls. Ain't no way in h e ll mine was better than any one of the 7 or 8 climbers I've owned.

I rate it best because of ease of use, carrying weight ect. I can throw my baker on a tree and be up it and seated in half the time it takes me with my Summit. My bones and joints don't work as good as they use to, and it's impossible for me to use my baker now. I still own it, and it's going in my personal museum.

DaveS