Kahr PM9 Issue

midtennchip

My PM9 generally runs well, but my hollow point ammo hangs up when I rack the side. If I hit the back of the side, the round chambers properly, but the fact that it hangs up (ie: the side doesn't close and round stays in the mag) bothers me. I'm concerned that this may lead to bigger problems later. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this or has an idea on fixing it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this sticky in the Kahr section of Glock Talk. Hope this helps.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291329

KAHR PM9 BARREL RECALL NOTICE

IMPORTANT NOTICE- PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY UPON RECEIPT

Dear Kahr Arms Customer,

Kahr's PM9 is one of our most reliable products for the concealed carry market. Nevertheless, in Kahr's pursuit towards continuous improvement, we are calling for the return of certain PM9 barrels for even greater reliability and safety.

Kahr Arms is asking all Kahr customers to return the barrels only from certain serial numbers of the Kahr PM9 3" barrel polymer frame 9mm pistols in order to repair or replace barrels that were found to not properly feed some brands of hollow point ammunition, which under certain circumstances may be unsafe for the user.

If you possess a Kahr PM9 3" barrel model within the range of the serial numbers noted below, please return the barrel only with a tag indicating the serial number of the gun. Barrels received will be repaired or replaced and shipped back within 7 business days. Please return the barrel and your name and address to:

Karh Arms

130 Goddard Memorial Drive

Worchester, MA 01603

Thank you for cooperating with us in our pursuit of continuous improvement. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you have any questions or comments regarding this notice, please do not hesitate to contact David Konn, Director of Dealer Development at (561)656-1288.

Sincerely,

Frank Harris

VP, Sales and Marketing

Models involved: PM9093A, PM9093NA, 9094A, PM9094NA

Serial number ranges: VA0003--VA9999, VB0004--VB0999

Edited by Westwindmike
Added Serial Numbers
My PM9 generally runs well, but my hollow point ammo hangs up when I rack the side. If I hit the back of the side, the round chambers properly, but the fact that it hangs up (ie: the side doesn't close and round stays in the mag) bothers me. I'm concerned that this may lead to bigger problems later. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this or has an idea on fixing it.

This is actually perfectly normal. Kahr recommends that first round always be chambered from lock back position with slide stop release.

These little guys are wound so tight with close tolerances, that hand racking can be unreliable, especially during first few hundred rounds.

This method is recommended in your manual, btw.

If you search, you'll find this a common question on several gun forums re Kahr, like the "Kahr Club" section on glocktalk.com.

Which ammo?

I have about 500 rounds through my PM9, and have only ever had a couple of failures to return to battery; but those were in the first 50 rounds or so.

While I shoot WWB predominantly at range, my Kahr likes Federal Hydroshok, Remington JHP, some kind of Corbon JHP, and my decided on for now carry ammo, the Golden Saber +p. I've shot quite a bit of this through the pipe.

So, after cleaning, I lock slide back, pop in mag, release slide to chamber first round, take mag out, replace the round so I'm filled up.

And of course between mags, it's no prob, as slide locks back on empty anyway, ready for 'nother mag and pop the first round in with slide stop release.

Polishing the feed ramp might help some, but I've never fooled with it. I just use the recommended method, never had first prob with that first round.

A few times in the last hundred rounds or so, I've chambered the first one in manually. Had one out of 3 or 4 hang. You have to really make sure slide comes all the way back and you absolutely RELEASE it all at once so that full spring power is used. But all in all, I'm quite content using the recommended method.

If you are concerned because you don't carry a round in the pipe, well, that's a whole 'nother issue, and I'll have an opinion on THAT, yesiree :-)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I don't think that matters. If they don't ask, you don't tell.

Probably won't, but might, at least eventually.

They went from "lifetime" warranty to 5 year warranty some time back.

I'm sure they can tell about when it was first sold by serial # if they want to...

- OS

This is actually perfectly normal. Kahr recommends that first round always be chambered from lock back position with slide stop release.

These little guys are wound so tight with close tolerances, that hand racking can be unreliable, especially during first few hundred rounds.

This method is recommended in your manual, btw.

Unfortunately, I'm using this method to chamber the first round. But, when I release the slide lock, it hits the back of the round and stops. It does not chamber the round. If a then hit the back of the slide, it will chamber. However, it seems that the "lip" of the hollowpoint hangs on the feed ramp. I'll look into polishing the feed ramp and will contact Kahr. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm using this method to chamber the first round. But, when I release the slide lock, it hits the back of the round and stops. It does not chamber the round. If a then hit the back of the slide, it will chamber. However, it seems that the "lip" of the hollowpoint hangs on the feed ramp. I'll look into polishing the feed ramp and will contact Kahr. Thanks.

Oh, sorry, didn't understand, thought you were doing it by hand racking.

Yeah, polishing the feed ramp is about all you can probably do yourself.

Again, although mine has eaten every HP I've fed it, have you tried DIFFERENT types of HP's? Which one is the prob?

Some guns don't like the 147 grain 9mm; I've never tried that.

One other thought...does it do this with all magazines you have?

Make sure mag follower isn't broken or out of whack; could be tilting the shell at bad angle.

- OS

I just bought a Kahr PM9 two weeks ago. No problems with jams but mine went back last week for peening on the barrel hood. Seem like good folks at their service center. Call them and give them a chance to fix it. They did want me to send in a copy of my receipt with the gun. Don't know if not being the original owner will make any difference or not. Good luck.

OS - I'll check the mag. The mag that came with it had the pinkie extension on it, so I don't use it (this is purely a pocket gun for me). I only used FMJ in that mag. I bought a second mag without the extension and this is the one giving me problems. But, I haven't checked it (duh!). I'll do that tonight. Thanks for the thought.

I've had the same issue with several different guns when they were new. I had a KelTec P3AT and a Para Warthog that would fight hollow points from time to time. I read about doing a "Fluff and Buff" on the KTOG.org website tried it.

It made a huge difference! :popcorn:

I have also used Militec 1 on both of these guns and it only made them better. I'll ususally spend about two hours cleaning and taking these steps on any gun I get that is new to me.

Good luck with your Kahr!