"Blood Moon" Interesting Article

GlockSpock

• Moderators

It is interesting ... that anyone would put any credence in it, I mean. Oh yeah, and that "Adam" was created 6,000 years ago as the clincher.

- OS

Well Oh Shoot, why doesn't it surprise me that you'd chime in on this one? It's obvious that you are not a believer. I didn't post it to try and convert you. But you do seem to wish to debate/convert any of the believers here. You have a lot to offer in terms of firearms knowledge and experience, and I always enjoy reading your posts. But there are many believers here, like it or not, and as long as TGO David allows it, it is well within our rights to post articles that express that belief and discuss it among ourselves.

Well Oh Shoot, why doesn't it surprise me that you'd chime in on this one?....

Talking science more than religion. You really believe that our species is only 6,000 years old, for starters?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators

Talking science more than religion. You really believe that our species is only 6,000 years old, for starters?

- OS

I'm open to it, and let me tell you why. There have been many "flaws" with understood science throughout the ages, and then later we figured it out and "debunked" that older science. I think that man is quite conceited if he trusts science 100% without the possibility of other explanations/calculations. Now, there certainly is a lot of evidence that suggests certain things about certain ages of certain things. Things such as the Grand Canyon, light from millions of light years away, etc.

However, I do not have the science or understanding to test any of it. Therefore, I must believe what I'm told. Yep, there's a consensus among scientists that nearly all agree on the issue but just because the majority of a group agrees on something does not make them correct. Since I do not have the capability to myself test any of these things and also ensure that the method of testing is accurate, then I must trust the consensus of that being shown to me.

However, many here would agree that the "consensus" amongst the media is wrong regarding firearms, ACA, Obama, etc. So once again, consensus does not equal correctness. I'm not attempting to discredit any modern science, I'm just saying that there is a whole lot that we don't know. I'm open to the possibility that one of those things we don't know might explain things in a different way than is currently accepted as valid.

Truthfully, I don't necessarily agree with the notion that the Earth is 6000 years old, but I am open to the possibility of it. The exact same statement is true regarding 4.6B years as well. In the end, does either really make a difference to me or you living our daily lives? I don't think it does. Now, you say "for starters' insinuating that this shall follow with a followup question, and on and on. Ultimately, I cannot prove to you any of my beliefs because they are beliefs. 

I'm open to it, and let me tell you why.....

However, I do not have the science or understanding to test any of it.

Wow.  I'll leave you with a scientific rebuttal of the "Blood Moon Prophecy", prominently featured on a Christian site of all places, showing how relatively common these circumstance actually are. Sample:  "any lunar eclipse that happens near the equinoxes must fall on or within a day of Passover (spring) or Sukkot (autumn)."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2013/07/12/lunar-eclipses-cause-blood-moons

Of course, I suppose you can disagree that the immutable workings of the solar system aren't necessarily factual either, since you do not have the "science or understanding to test it" yourself. Severely limiting philosophy, since even the most astute individuals among us can personally verify but a fraction of all science.

- OS

• Moderators

Wow.  I'll leave you with a scientific rebuttal of the "Blood Moon Prophecy", prominently featured on a Christian site of all places, showing how relatively common these circumstance actually are. Sample:  "any lunar eclipse that happens near the equinoxes must fall on or within a day of Passover (spring) or Sukkot (autumn)."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2013/07/12/lunar-eclipses-cause-blood-moons

Of course, I suppose you can disagree that the immutable workings of the solar system aren't necessarily factual either, since you do not have the "science or understanding to test it" yourself. Severely limiting philosophy, since even the most astute individuals among us can personally verify but a fraction of all science.

- OS

In my above post I stated that I am open to the possibility of 6000 years and 4.6B years. I am open to it being 6000 years because we may discover new science in the future that reveals a great flaw in many of the ways we figure things now. I am open to 4.6B years because most all of modern science agrees on that figure. When I woke up this morning, it didn't matter which figure I clung to as I got out of bed with my wife and started putting my pants on. I am in no hurry to decide for myself how old this place is, in the end it doesn't matter to me. 

Am I waiting to wakeup and seeing on the news headlines that the Earth is 6000 years old due to a fatal flaw in the calculations of everything? No. I wouldn't bet anything on that happening. Is the likelihood that the Earth is roughly 4.6B years old? According to many things, a few of which I mentioned above, that answer is yes. Do I have the confidence to say 100% with no room for error that the Earth is either 6000 years old or 4.6B years old? Not with 100% certainty.

I for one believe the bible is infallible and is the word of God.  No ifs, no ands, and no butts.   I am not going to try to convince anyone who is not interested, but I do know what a life changing event that I personally have had by trusting in the Bible and accepting what Jesus has done for me.  I am amazed about the energy and effort society pours out to quickly disrespect the bible.  When I read something that I honestly don't care for, I don't read it, let alone spend energy to think and type about it!  Makes one wonder if there are other agendas at work, hmmmm?

Since I have your time in reading my piece, to a non-believer, if one would truly and honestly just study the science of the bible, its origins, the books contained therein, when those books were written, one would understand its no coincidence, and its no fluke, and though it may be penned by man, but most assured those men were inspired by God.  I once read somewhere about the odds of Jesus being just a man and that he coincidentally fulfilled old testament prophesies written 500+ years before he was born, is like finding 1 gold coin in an area the size of Texas filled with coins to 40 feet tall, and dropping someone at random somewhere in this area, and that someone reached down in the exact precise spot and found the one gold coin.  Either Jesus is who he says he was, or he is the biggest liar and scam artist of humankind! 

That is why I am thankful for grace. No amount of arguing convinced me that God is the creator of the universe and His Son Jesus restored my relationship with Him through His death on the cross, resurrection resulting in the empty tomb, and the promise of His eventual return. It was purely through God reaching down and intervening in my life and opening my mind and heart to who He is that I am now a Christian.

I wasn't born a Christian and do not have Christian parents. I have had many debates with friends who used to be skeptics in the past, even staunch atheists, and yet we can all attest that nobody argued us into faith. Sure I understand "science" (quotation marks because many treat science as some type of nebulous entity almost like a deity in and of itself) and work in health care. I've studied and seen many things that modern "science" cannot explain. God is the author of science. We humans merely discovered natural phenomena and apply our best efforts to study and explain that which we do not understand. 

At the end of the day who CARES how old the earth is? Let me say that it is not going to make or break anyone's faith in God or in anything else. I pray that Oh Shoot and anyone else with his same mentality will one day receive the knowledge and love of Jesus. People say that Christians are haters, and that may be true for some Christians. But our message is one of peace, love, and reconciliation. Non-Christians can hate us all they want, kill us all they want, and discriminate against us all they want. But guess what? We will continue to share the love we have received anyways.

• Like 1

Wow, you evangelists are missing the point. I have made no comment on Christianity or the Bible whatsoever.

This is about two self-proclaimed "scholars" predicting all kinds of dire stuff based on their "interpretation" of the Biblical texts compared to the precisely known past and future alignments within our solar system, the actual science of which they each largely ignore. If you want to embrace these guys as modern day divinely enlightened prophets feel free, and double up on the tinfoil while you're at it. (I assume you already have one thin layer on to begin with, to give much credence to anything reported on WND in the first place).

And the one refutation I linked is purposely from a Christian scientist on staff on a Christian website, who of course is also not trying to undermine anyone's faith. (I realize his essay had lots of words in it and all, though).

I will plainly assert however,  that anyone, Christian or not,  who believes that the Earth, or our species, could even possibly be only 6,000 years old is wackier than Archbishop James Ussher, who "deduced from scripture" that unenlightened notion in the first place 350 years ago -- and if you home-school, I beg you to contract out the natural history and physical science parts of the curriculum.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Guilty, I am a wackier!  :screwy:

I have seen the secular world argue this before about the 6K year old planet.  This is not Bible, but what if, what if, God created the world as a he wanted to, not a brand new place, but something that mankind would think is older?   You know when I was growing up mankind thought there were only 8 planets, then there was 9, and I have lost count.  That man science sure is ironclad! 

I still think there are other agendas, hmmmm?  Too much passion the other way.