2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

Guest Bonedaddy

A few years back, I shot at a beautiful, large, almost black bobcat that spun 'round in a circle then bolted for the briar thicket. It was then that I realized my scope mount had come loose. As bad as I wanted that cat, I was not 'bout to go into a briar thicket to find a wounded bobcat. I'd rather Jap slap a pissed off mountain gorilla than that. Hated that but I was more worried 'bout my own hide.

Grabbed my pop up this morning and hit the woods even though it was raining. Soon as the rain let up a little three small yearlings walked 20 yards in front of my blind. Let them walk but cool to see!

Everyone always thought I was crazy for hunting weather like this but I've taken many deer like this. Glad you at least got to see some move through.
  • Like 1

A few years back, I shot at a beautiful, large, almost black bobcat that spun 'round in a circle then bolted for the briar thicket. It was then that I realized my scope mount had come loose. As bad as I wanted that cat, I was not 'bout to go into a briar thicket to find a wounded bobcat. I'd rather Jap slap a pissed off mountain gorilla than that. Hated that but I was more worried 'bout my own hide.

I thought my dad's side of the family (mainly my aunt) was the only ones using the term jap slap. What state are you from?

Everyone always thought I was crazy for hunting weather like this but I've taken many deer like this. Glad you at least got to see some move through.

Same here. I actually killed my first buck ever right in this same spot with my Pappaws old 30-30. What a glorious day that was! No blind back then, sitting on one of those swivel seats that ratchet strap to the tree and it was raining. Didn't care one I had my first rack on the ground! Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

That would be TN, Luke. Born in Memphis but moved my gang to Crockett county in '91. My niece's hubby got him an average 10 pointer, today, 'round 4:30 this evenin'. He's proud of it, though it don't come anywhere near the mass of the one up top here.

That would be TN, Luke. Born in Memphis but moved my gang to Crockett county in '91. My niece's hubby got him an average 10 pointer, today, 'round 4:30 this evenin'. He's proud of it, though it don't come anywhere near the mass of the one up top here.

Just curious because pretty much all my bunch is from FL and the few that aren't were from South GA. Congrats to the nephew in law!

^ Nice buck

I shot this one today:
B2CC05EB-2B60-4C22-A80F-550096A016AA-415

Rain quit about 7:30 and I left the rundown, critter infested, old house I holed up in and I went to slippin' through the woods. Eased out a ridge and peeked over the edge and saw a doe picking around on a little flat about 75yds below me. Hid behind a tree and glassed with the binoculars and could see another deer behind her. Waited a minute and he got clear, I leaned around the tree and a Federal Fusion .223 to the boiler room was all she wrote for him.

Fun hunt. I don't get to do it much but the wind and wet ground was right for it today.

Thanks to my Dad for teaching me how to slip around in the woods chasing squirrels.

Edited by JWC
  • Like 6

That ain't from these parts, is it?

No sir, I started to mention that but figured I would see if someone made a guess. It is a Kansas deer and is technically/legally a Whitetail but him and I both suspect that is has a bit of muley in him somewhere along the way. I wish my first buck would have been this size... heck I've killed 75-80+ deer and never taken one this size.

^ Nice buck

I shot this one today:

Rain quit about 7:30 and I left the rundown, critter infested, old house I holed up in and I went to slippin' through the woods. Eased out a ridge and peeked over the edge and saw a doe picking around on a little flat about 75yds below me. Hid behind a tree and glassed with the binoculars and could see another deer behind her. Waited a minute and he got clear, I leaned around the tree and a Federal Fusion .223 to the boiler room was all she wrote for him.

Fun hunt. I don't get to do it much but the wind and wet ground was right for it today.

Thanks to my Dad for teaching me how to slip around in the woods chasing squirrels.

Heck of a deer congrats!

No sir, I started to mention that but figured I would see if someone made a guess. It is a Kansas deer and is technically/legally a Whitetail but him and I both suspect that is has a bit of muley in him somewhere along the way. I wish my first buck would have been this size... heck I've killed 75-80+ deer and never taken one this size.

I've never been hunting, but I've never seen a deer quite that big around here. 

I've never been hunting, but I've never seen a deer quite that big around here. 

There used to be 3-4 that were awful close to that size that ran out at my folks where I hunt a lot. I haven't seen any of them is 3 or 4 years now so who knows if they are still around. Whitetail have not been in this area (at least not in large number) that long in the whole scheme of things but when they started moving them in they weren't all from the same area. I learned of this from an older gentlemen that recalled back when it was a major deal to see a deer in this area. I know as far as Rutherford county goes he said that out on my side (Lascassas) of the county most of the deer came from Florida where as the deer in the hills over on the Bedford county side were brought in from Michigan I believe is what he told me and were substantially bigger deer. Someone here may be able to back this up or debunk it but I never had any reason to doubt the fellow.

^ Nice buck

I shot this one today:

Nice Buck!!

Dave

[quote name="Luke E." post="1079224" timestamp="1387082846"] No sir, I started to mention that but figured I would see if someone made a guess. It is a Kansas deer and is technically/legally a Whitetail but him and I both suspect that is has a bit of muley in him somewhere along the way. I wish my first buck would have been this size... heck I've killed 75-80+ deer and never taken one this size.[/quote] I used to live in kansas, good quality deer out there. Unfortunately i was younger and hadnt started hunting yet so i didnt know what i was missing.
Guest Bonedaddy

I've seen a "few" deer the size of that Kansas one 'round here but they're like damn ghosts. Only see'm once every year or two. They are some kinda hard to figger out.

And yea, "slippin' 'round" is one of my fave ways to hunt. Gotta learn to walk right, though that last doe I killed, I walked up on her like a heard of buffalo and she didn't spook. Guess she was still stupid. I try to sound like a squirrel messin' 'round in the leaves when I walk. Works purdy good, usually.

Didn't hunt this morning, but got out there at 2 this afternoon. Saw the same 3 today that I saw yesterday morning, this time it was around 4. Let'm walk again and kept an eye out for something following their path but nodda. It was still a good afternoon hunt. Dang, this season is going to be over and it just seems like yesterday that the Official Bow thread was started!  :down:  I want to hunt till February! But hey, coyote season (fawns dropping) isn't too far away. :rock:

• Like 1

Went this morning, passed 4 does on the corner lot at 5:30 feeding. Sat until 9:00 and climbed down.

This afternoon, made it to the stand by about 1:30. Just after 4:00 I spotted my first buck while hunting this year. He was almost 150 yards away and I did not have a shot. I grunted and bleated at him, he would look up towards me and then go back to eating. I kept willing him to step about 10 feet to the right and clear the branches, and after 15 minutes he finally took a few steps.

It wasn't perfect, I had about an 8 inch window to place the shot...basically I missed but still got the buck. I was aiming at the top of his shoulder, should have went shoulder into his neck. At the shot all I saw was branches waving and thought I clipped one, he dropped so quickly I missed seeing it. But then I saw the legs kicking...Walked over there and found blood all over his head and neck. Once I started looking, I missed the shot but nailed him between the ear and antler base - kind of scrambled his brains.

20131215_164428.jpg

20131215_174112.jpg

In this picture you can make out the hole...Barnes Tipped Triple Shock 180 grain from my 30-06. I am not sure if I clipped a branch and got a lucky ricochet or if I pulled the shot.

• Like 3

First buck I have seen this year, first I have shot in 3 years. For the place I am hunting that is a really good buck. The last one I shot could have been his brother, they look almost identical.

I wouldn't care if I'd seen bucks all year, I would be proud of that buck and telling EVERYONE about it! I've never killed what most people think is a huge buck. Hope to one day, but even my small 6 pointers have made me feel like a King Hunter!