IDPA as a spectator sport?

Hey, folks!

A buddy of mine and I want to participate in IDPA. I think we’re both the kind of people who learn by watching others and asking questions first, so we’re thinking about going to a match first just to watch. Is that allowed? We don’t mind helping out (resetting targets, counting hits, etc) to make ourselves useful.

On every video I’ve seen online, it looks like everybody in assistance is competing. I’ve never seen people in the crowd that look like they’re not there to shoot, which is why I ask.

We always have folks drop by to watch. Without watching matches how are you gonna know if it's something you'd like to do?

It's not just the match itself but the people you meet. you find out if the those matches are a match for you.

Lp

I appreciate the prompt reply, Lowpower! I look forward to the next Cleveland RC match. Is there a calendar for that online? Their site doesn’t seem to have a schedule up for 2013.

Thanks again!

No No No No!!!  You will be wishing after the 1st stage you had your gun and gear!  Cleveland as a good match the 3rd Saturday of the month and they are always helpful.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and read through the rule book before ya go so you have an idea about the rules.

• Like 1

No No No No!!!  You will be wishing after the 1st stage you had your gun and gear!  Cleveland as a good match the 3rd Saturday of the month and they are always helpful.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and read through the rule book before ya go so you have an idea about the rules.

Haha! I’ll come prepared just in case. Is that CRC schedule all year long, including the winter months?

definitely, like Spiffy said, don't plan to just stand by and watch.  If you have watched videos online, then you pretty much know what it is about.  Just come and shoot, you won't regret it.  It's a little bit more of a drive, but 1st Saturday of each month up here at ORSA, we shoot IDPA also. 

• Like 2
Yep like everyone said come on out and have fun. The 1st Saturday of the month at ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsmans Association) they have an IDPA match and thats actually a very good match for a new shooter to shoot. They are very relaxed and the stages arent overly difficult. I will be there and you are more than welcome too join our squad. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have, that is if I know the answer lol. But seriously bring your gun and 150rds because you will regret it if you dont Edited by dlmeadows
  • Like 1

Haha! I’ll come prepared just in case. Is that CRC schedule all year long, including the winter months?

Yes, 3rd Sat. of the month year round rain or snow (ask me how I know). Lightening is the only thing that stops the match.

5 stages, usually about 80 - 90 rounds.

• Like 1

The only thing holding me back is I don’t have a proper magazine holster. I use (and swear by) a Snagmag in my EDC rig. Is that legal in IDPA? Can I stuff additional magazines in my jeans back pocket? I just kind of wanna check IDPA out before I invest in a magazine holster that I probably won’t use as EDC because I prefer the Snagmag.

The only thing holding me back is I don’t have a proper magazine holster. I use (and swear by) a Snagmag in my EDC rig. Is that legal in IDPA? Can I stuff additional magazines in my jeans back pocket? I just kind of wanna check IDPA out before I invest in a magazine holster that I probably won’t use as EDC because I prefer the Snagmag.

What pistol are you going to shoot? Chances are someone will have a mag holder you can use.

Use what ya got. No one is gonna fuss over it. You might get a few different people try to help you with mag carriers.

• Like 1
[quote name="dlmeadows" post="1067751" timestamp="1385170786"] but yes you can use your pocket or the waistband of your pants as long as they dont fall out. Not really sure what the snagmag is though.[/quote] This is the Snagmag: [url="http://www.snagmag.com"]http://www.snagmag.com[/url] Edited by agarzola

All clubs are supposed to follow the rules regardless if it is a local or sanctioned match.  Listed below is the official rules about magazine carriers within IDPA.

8.6.2. Magazine Carrier Rules - Magazine carriers must:

8.6.2.1. Be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear.

8.6.2.2. Must be worn on an IDPA legal belt.

8.6.2.3. Cover 2" of the magazine as measured from the top of the cartridge rim down the back flat of the magazine tube.

8.6.2.4. Cover the entire outer face of the portion of the magazine inside the carrier. The outer face is the side away from the shooter’s body.

8.6.2.5. Hold the magazine within 10° of vertical relative to the belt. (80° to 100° relative to the belt).

8.6.2.6. Magazine carriers with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the carrier are not legal.

8.6.2.7. Magazine carriers must be worn in a belt location where the front edge of the carrier or magazine is behind the shooter’s anterior superior iliac spine (hipbone).

Edited by HOGNUT

They're several things I have regretted in life that are seared into my brain. They are in order the following:

1. Showing up to watch an IDPA match without my pistol and gear.

2. Being a bad boy one year as a child and Santa bringing me a stick and coal ashes.

3. Telling a woman I loved her.

Please learn from my misfortunes and at least have everything you need when you show up and watch, but you won't be watching. You'll thank me, praise me, be forever grateful to me.

• Like 3

Unless the rules have changed you can still use your pocket if you dont have mag pouches correct? Or even your waistband since thats where most people like to stick them when they tackload.

Wasn't there a match recently with a stage where you had to use your pocket and weren't allowed to use a mag pouch?