IPDA vs. IPSC vs. USPSA

Guest Hyaloid

Guest Hyaloid

Ok, so I am thinking about getting into some "competitive" shooting.

I don't want to participate with a bunch of super competitive folks who scoff at my firearms, and make fun of my ability.

I want to improve my skills and compete primarily against myself.

Which of these organizations are relatively active locally, and in y'all's experience, which do you feel would suit what I want the best?

So far, it looks like IDPA meets my criteria the best....

;)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

From what I was told and have read for myself, if you want to have fun then the way to go is USPSA. I've watched a lot of IDPA and USPSA videos lately and have to say that the latter really does look like the most fun and the one least encumbered by procedural details that may weigh down IDPA and discourage new folks from persisting.

I plan on trying my hand at a USPSA event real soon. I'm sure I will totally suck at it, but like I've said before, if you're at rock bottom the only place to go is up. ;)

Guest Hyaloid

One of the unique facets of this sport is that it is geared toward the new or average shooter, yet is fun, challenging and rewarding for the experienced shooter. The founders developed the sport so that practical gear and practical guns may be used competitively. An interested person can spend a minimal amount on equipment and still be competitive. The main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship. “Competition only†equipment is not permitted in this sport.

But it sounds so good!

Most practical shooters are just regular Joes that enjoy shooting on the weekends - much the way the average golfer enjoys golf. There's no way the average golfer can do what Tiger Woods can do, but that doesn't limit their enjoyment of the sport and it's sure fun to watch Tiger. Where Practical Shooting and golf differ is that it's actually quite likely that you will meet one or two of the world's top shooters at any major match. What are the odds a regular golfer will meet Tiger Woods, much less play on his foursome?

It seems that IDPA allows most carry-rigs, and focuses on what an average CCWer would face... I dunno. Anybody have experience with either/both?

Maybe if we get enough interested parties, we can have several TGO members go to a match together, so you know you won't be the only newbie there.

Guest Hyaloid

I came across this listing of clubs that host events.

CLICK HERE

Looks like the closest in the Tricities area is the Greeneville location, which I know little about. It's called TAC2, you can visit their website HERE.

It is run by someone named Dr. CLifford E. Bryant primarily from what I can tell. Anyone have any experience with these folks?

Guest MidTNShooter

IPSC/USPSA will allow any gun with any modification to shoot. IDPA only allows your pistol to fit in a template with no mods allowed, Hmmmm ?. At IPSC/NSPSA we shoot as professionals. Professionals who will take the time to teach. No with that said, I am no Pro nor have the speed nor accuracy to even play one in the movies. I have shot with the gals/guys and had a blast. I just spent the weekend shooting with a Grand Master (who, by the way, didn't want to initial his score card..... for what... an upgrade to Grand Master?). He stood by me and watched. He gave great tips and critiqued me with the do's-and-don'ts. I don't know where you live, but... please look up www.nspsa.org for the local club near you. I have had a ball, and will someday become a GM. Now I have been looking for a new pistol. He shot mine and I shot his............WOW, No recoil, customed out!!

If anyone needs some information concerning the IPSC/NSPSA, feel free to contact me anytime ( midtnshooter@yahoo.com ) and I will get it to you ASAP.

When I say professional, I am not saying money earnings, but how they conduct their skills. Years ago, I walked into an Irish bar and wanted to play darts. The locals set with me and took the time to give me great pointers just like the "guys" in IPSC/NSPSA. Take the time and learn what is out there. I tried IDPA, but it wasn't for me. Maybe, it is for you. I enjoy getting my heart rate up and shooting under stress. When the time comes in the real world, I promise you your heart rate will be banging your arteries. Why not get the "real world" training and try IPSC ? Go to the website show above and download the FrontSite Magazine. It has alot of good reading and get back with me !

Take Care,

MTS

Hyaloid,

I have shot IDPA at TAC2 in Greeneville and at Kettlefoot in Bristol. TAC2 shoots on the 2nd Saturday each month and Kettlefoot shoots on the 4th Saturday each month. Both ranges are run very well and get a big thumbs up from me.

I'm sure TAC2 does more than IDPA but I'm not sure what all they do. I'm not sure about Kettlefoot.

In your original post, you sound a lot like me. I shoot primarily to improve my gun handling skills and not so much to compete against everyone else. And that's OK. I just started IDPA last summer and it is the most fun and educational thing I've ever done with a gun. You really learn about your gun when you shoot the games.

Guest Hyaloid

Thanks for the feedback, always interested to hear more.

I've got another child due any day/week now... so it'll probably be on the back burner for a little while, but I'm excited to begin this stuff!

I came across this listing of clubs that host events.

It is run by someone named Dr. CLifford E. Bryant primarily from what I can tell. Anyone have any experience with these folks?

I know Doc. They're a good bunch of folks up there. If you get a chance to shoot with them, tell Tom Carpenter and Clifford that Robbie from Memphis said hi.

The other question, regarding IDPA or IPSC, I shoot both of them, and both of them are fun, and different in many respects. Neither one is better than the other. You get out of it what you want.

See this link for a comparison:

http://www.rrmemphis.com/op015.html

Guest Ramtough47

Good for you that you are wanting to join the shooting sports. I shoot both and enjoy both.Since i carry daily i use IDPA as training for that,but if you want to carry your handling and shooting abilities to the best that they can be give USPSA shooting a try.This is not to say people who only shoot IDPA can't shoot[they can,belive me on this],its just been my own opinion in both watching and shooting in both that because of the futher distance's,higher round count,higher degree of difficult shots,and other reasons,that the best shooters out there are USPSA shooters.

One other thing.It has been my experience in "both" IDPA or USPSA that if you are a first time shooter or mid-level shooter that all are welcome and everyone is very helpful.

Look forward to seeing you at a match.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BigJ45

I started shooting IDPA in 1999 and IPSC in 2000. I enjoy both of them and try to stay out of the which one is better discussions. Each is it's own game with it's own set of rules. I will say this IPSC helped my shooting much more when I was starting out as I didn't have to worry about cover or engagement order or anything else but shooting fast and accurate. I have shot at both TAC2 and Kettlefoot for several years and both are great places to attend a match. TAC2 has IPSC the 1st Sat and IDPA the 2nd Sat. Kettlefoot has IDPA on the 4th Sat. ORSA in Oak Ridge has IDPA on the 1st Sat, IPSC the 3rd Sat and steel challenge on the 4th Sat. Come on out and join us. Jason

I've shot IDPA at a really nice club in Brush Creek for probably 4 years now. Periodically we get some competitive moron who likes to dispute the RO's calls, make disparaging comments about someone else's shooting, or bitch about the stages. Almost invariably such a person finds we're not competitive enough and goes on. Almost always to IPSC. That's just been my experience, YMMV.

• Administrator

:P I think I shot with that guy the weekend before last.

From what I have seen, IDPA looks like it may be a little more "practical" in scenario design and equipment stipulations. I'd like to give it a try sometime just for that reason.

USPSA seems more like the "golf" of the shooting world... but I'm enjoying it so far. :)

Periodically we get some competitive moron who likes to dispute the RO's calls,

Call me a moron then....If it has a scorecard,it's a GAME. If it's a GAME, then I will do everything in my competitive moron power to win:D

Call me a moron then....If it has a scorecard,it's a GAME. If it's a GAME, then I will do everything in my competitive moron power to win:D

:)

That's a good point! To take that a step farther even, if one was in a self-defense situation which called upon one's practice and training to extricate oneself from, it would be in your best interests to not fight fair...

Who was it that said: "Anything worth fighting for, is worth fighting dirty for..." ?

:D

I like that...

Guest BigJ45

There has to be a winner and I want it to be me. Makes no difference if it is an IDPA "COMPETITION" or a self defense situation I will try to come out on top. IDPA is not the real world and it is not training, it is a game. If you shoot an IDPA match like it is real you will not win and if you shoot in a self defense situation like it is a IDPA match you would most likely die. In the real world you don't get a walk through where the SO tells you who to shoot first and where to hide you have to figure all of that out for yourself in real time with bullets traveling uprange not just downrange. In IDPA the worst penalty you can get is a "failure to do right" in the real world you can get a "failure to continue living." It is a game and if you play it you are a "GAMER".

True, but sometimes it's good to lighten up for a bit and have some fun... Gaining familiarity with your firearm is never completely useless.

Even video games can aid the development of reflexes, and I don't know anyone who would advocate fully replacing live training with them, regardless of the format.

Guest BigJ45

I'm not saying that IDPA won't help you survive a real life encounter by helping to give you confidince in your ability to use your firearm when it is for real. I am saying that it should not be used as a substitute for actual training and those who think that it is should lighten up and realize it is a game. When I play the game I play by the rules no matter how silly they are because you have to play by the rules to win.

I am sure you are a great asset in your IPSC club.

IDPA offers practice in a number of valuable skills: quick draw and presentation, fast and accurate shooting of targets, sometimes moving and sometimes on the move, fast reloading and the use of cover and concealment. Those are all excellent and necessary skills to have in real life.

And I have tried stuff out in IDPA to see whether it would work for me in real life or not. The stress of a buzzer is some kind of reflection of a SD situation, albeit imperfect.

People who knock IDPA as not being "training" generally have no idea what the sport is about.

People who knock IDPA as not being "training" generally have no idea what the sport is about.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your sport. But you are wrong that IDPA is training. I'm sure that if you ever have to use a gun in self defense and say that I used my IDPA training in self defense, Bill Wilson,Ken Hackathorn and other founding members will be the first ones to get on the witness stand and say that IDPA is a GAME and it has a SCORESHEET. IDPA is not training you. You are playing a gun GAME that is meant to simulate a possible real life situation. If it was not a GAME, there would be no timers or scoresheets. BTW, if not for IPSC, there would not be an IDPA. Also, when was the last time a non IPSC shooter won the IDPA Nats?:up:

I am not arguing that it is training, in the sense commonly used. Thus my point that people who criticize it for not being training are off base. It isnt meant to be training in that sense. So criticizing it for something it isnt is absurd. But, as I've said ad nauseam, it does give practice in very valuable skills.

• 1 month later...

The biggest problem that I've had with IDPA was that the rulemakers costanly go back-and-forth on the "game vs. real-life" question. You're supposed to "use cover" beacase "that's what you'd do in real life". But when the rules call for something tactically stupid, like retaining magazines or not starting reloads until you get to cover, even if your gun is dry, they tell you "well, it's just a game!". The IDPA apologists seem to want it both ways.

DanO

Who doesn't have time to shoot either anymore, and isn't happy about it.

The biggest problem that I've had with IDPA was that the rulemakers costanly go back-and-forth on the "game vs. real-life" question. You're supposed to "use cover" beacase "that's what you'd do in real life". But when the rules call for something tactically stupid, like retaining magazines or not starting reloads until you get to cover, even if your gun is dry, they tell you "well, it's just a game!". The IDPA apologists seem to want it both ways.

DanO

Who doesn't have time to shoot either anymore, and isn't happy about it.

Retaining magazines can be a tactically-sound move. Ditto with not starting reloads in the open (and I think they have revised the rules on this in the latest book).

There is a dichotomy there. Somehow it never really bothered me though.