Press suggestions for new reloader

LOL, I thought once upon a time $2,000 would be my upper limit for reloading gear.  Then I started casting, molds, furnaces, now a Proportional integral derivative controller for the furnace.  Last week I got a bid on a 20X40 steel insulated building for a reloading room.

I might have to go back to work to afford this "hobby".

• Like 1

LOL, I thought once upon a time $2,000 would be my upper limit for reloading gear.  Then I started casting, molds, furnaces, now a Proportional integral derivative controller for the furnace.  Last week I got a bid on a 20X40 steel insulated building for a reloading room.

I might have to go back to work to afford this "hobby".

Smartass! :D

Wow 6.8AR.   All this to save 20 cents a round...   :)

Considering all the ordinance we used up in Viet Nam now I'm glad the Corps didn't charge me for my ammo.....

Seriously, how much shooting do you have to do with a 45 and 9M to justify doing your own reloading vs. buying???

My initial thoughts were:

> out of the box practice rounds from Walmart  .....  50 cents/round

> reload with buying new brass ..............................   35 cents/round

> reload with buying used brass ............................    27 cents/round

> reload with my own brass (or donated) ..............    18 cents/ round

So I thought I would break even at around 2,000 to 2,500 rounds.

And that is not costing in construction cost for a 20x40 steel building....

Rick

I read an article a few months back and I think the average break even point (vs store bought target rounds) was around 2k 9mm reloads. Average point, varies with how expensive you went up front and which caliber or additional calibers you load.

When I bought my equipment, I estimated break even would be 1 year, but I ended up breaking even in about 8 months. This in large part was due to reloading my 30-06 as well as pistols.

Wow 6.8AR.   All this to save 20 cents a round...   :)

Considering all the ordinance we used up in Viet Nam now I'm glad the Corps didn't charge me for my ammo.....

Seriously, how much shooting do you have to do with a 45 and 9M to justify doing your own reloading vs. buying???

My initial thoughts were:

> out of the box practice rounds from Walmart  .....  50 cents/round

> reload with buying new brass ..............................   35 cents/round

> reload with buying used brass ............................    27 cents/round

> reload with my own brass (or donated) ..............    18 cents/ round

So I thought I would break even at around 2,000 to 2,500 rounds.

And that is not costing in construction cost for a 20x40 steel building....

Rick

Try loading Golden Sabers, well, if you can find components. You're saving closer to 60cents/round. The better component you

load, the more you will save. New Hydrashocks, or whatever they are called nowadays, and Golden Sabers are well over a dollar

a round. At 24 cents a bullet, a few cents each for powder and primer, and you've saved a huge amount over most of all except

white box ammo, and you can load it to your liking. It do make huge difference. All I've reloaded in pistols are GS's and Gold Dots.

Never loaded any plinkers.

Now, how I drool over that building. :D I'm thinking of adding on to one of my garages, but not that much, just enough to piss off

Building Codes if they catch me. :D

As I research this to death, I stumbled across another product that may be a better solution than the Lee Precision Classic Turret press which sells for $230, then add the dies for $48 (see above for what is in the kit).

The other item I came across is the Lee Precision Load Master 45 Reloading Pistol Kit (which includes 5 dies, Powder measure, large safety prime) and sells for $247, but nothing else.
I would have to buy the scale, modern reloading, the cutter & lock stud, chamfer tool, and primer cleaner separately. 

The nice thing is the Lee precision loadmaster is a fully progressive machine.

I think I'm heading down the slippery slope of convincing myself to just buy a Dillon and be done with it.

I may just have to keep buying white box shells and save my brass while it figure out which way to go...

Rick

It's really a good time to be researching this stuff because
the manufacturers are starting to catch up with supply. Just
don't dilly-dally too much. You never know what future
political event will screw things up, again.

Just a heads up... I was talking with our very own DLM at the gun show yesterday. If you do decide on the best single stage press in the world, the Forster Co-ax, they're scarce as hen's teeth right now. David has 3 in stock, and may be the only guy in the US that does. My regular sources are dried up.

I started with the Lyman T mag 2000, years ago. It came with everything to get started, except dies, and is a superb single stage press. The only thing I had problems with was getting used to the powder measure drop. I still use it on occasion.

I can't think of any heavy O type presses that won't outlast their owners, including the heavy Lee Presses. They'll also all make pretty good ammo. The only time to move away from them, and into a Co-ax or an arbor press is when you're trying to get better than average bullet runout. The bonus with the Co-ax is that it's a joy to operate.