Savage 24 in 22 Hornet Field Report...anyone?

Sidewinder

Is there anyone on here that has experience with a Savage model 24 combo gun, chambered in 22 Hornet/20 Gauge? I'm considering one of these and would like to know everything about it. My thoughts are that it should make a good coyote gun. But, I'm not sure about the accuracy and range of the 22 Hornet in the Savage 24. I have Savage 24s in other calibers, so I'm not illiterate about the make and model...just the ballistics data on the 22 Hornet out of this specific gun. If they're not too good, I just might have to go to a Savage bolt in the 22 Hornet caliber. I'm pretty sure it could get the job done out to 100-150 yards. Thanks in advance, for your help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had one in 22mag over 20ga and loved it. There's just not that many .22 hornet over 20's out there.

79troublehead, thanks for your response. You're the only one that did! I own one in a .22 Mag / 20 Ga, but also wanted one in a .22 Hornet. I own seven or eight of these guns in various calibers/gauges, and like them very much. Just want to add the "Hornet" to my collection.

I had a  Mod. 24 DL with the left side mounted selector switch, took 2 years to find a replacement selector bar for that gun. I had a ruger 77 in .22 hornet that was a pretty good gun, but heavy. I have an old H&R single shot in hornet that is my pasture gun at present. With a 6X weaver it doesn't go much over 5lbs or so, and I can call the shot out to 150/175 yd. The 45 gr. bullet doesn't have much horsepower past that anyways. Valmet used to make a .22 hornet over 12 ga that the europeans doted on, I haven't seen one in years. 

I've got a 24 .22LR/.410 sold to my FIL in 1954 when he bought it for my MIL's wedding present.  It has had 2 .22LR rounds fired through it and has the hang tag. Crazy!  I would like a 22 Hornet also, but more like the CZ 527 variety.  Shot a friends 527 in 22 Hornet and was impressed with the rifle and his hot handloads.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had a  Mod. 24 DL with the left side mounted selector switch, took 2 years to find a replacement selector bar for that gun. I had a ruger 77 in .22 hornet that was a pretty good gun, but heavy. I have an old H&R single shot in hornet that is my pasture gun at present. With a 6X weaver it doesn't go much over 5lbs or so, and I can call the shot out to 150/175 yd. The 45 gr. bullet doesn't have much horsepower past that anyways. Valmet used to make a .22 hornet over 12 ga that the europeans doted on, I haven't seen one in years. 

Yea, I'll keep looking for one. I have a .22 Hornet barrel for my TC Contender.

I've got a 24 .22LR/.410 sold to my FIL in 1954 when he bought it for my MIL's wedding present.  It has had 2 .22LR rounds fired through it and has the hang tag. Crazy!  I would like a 22 Hornet also, but more like the CZ 527 variety.  Shot a friends 527 in 22 Hornet and was impressed with the rifle and his hot handloads.  

Graycrait, that's an unusual Savage 24. Most have done their duty, because when they came out, they were a cheap utility "meat on the table" gun. Of course, most guns were that when I was a kid. I don't think I ever owned more than a box of shells at any one time.

• Like 1