Where to go?

Titansfan

I like the idea of a boat. But I would use it to get to an island in Percy Priest Lake. On an island, you could have great cover (build it). You will have great fields of fire (no cover on the water as people/zombies approach). Shooting at the waterline will slow approaching boats even more. Access to food (fish) and water. Lastly quick avenues of escape.

John

Would still take constant vigilance around whole island, as zeds simply walk out of the water from time to time. Just takes a single surprise to end your experiment, like anywhere else.

- OS

Would still take constant vigilance around whole island, as zeds simply walk out of the water from time to time. Just takes a single surprise to end your experiment, like anywhere else.

- OS

the problem with Zeds walking along lake and river bottoms, the mud and silt, especially in man made lakes.   you can sink down a good two or three feet in that stuff, and the suction can hold you there.  I think  zeds walking out of the water would be a very rare occurence.  Then again I never really thought some one would marry my ex demon in law,  I was wrong LOL.

you have the same issues in places along the coast lines too.

Edited by OKelly

Would they float?

once the skin is saturated and the lungs, and body cavities are filled with water I seriously doubt they would float.  if I am not mistaken and I could be, bodies only float early on due to the gasses buiding up inside.  once they get saturated they tend to sink and stay down.  

please correct me if I am dead wrong LOL.

Edited by OKelly

But Percy Priest is pretty small. I might be able to tie a few zombies together to make a raft that'll float long enough to get over...

as long as you wear shoes, the zombies are a face down and you find a way to mount a sail pole or a trolling motor, and they dont wiggle you should be all right. LOL 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As a city slicker, I'll just say plain and simple.. I don't farm and I don't hunt. Could I do it to survive, certainly, but there's going to be a learning curve.

So lets say we wake up tomorrow and it's happened:

That being said, being out in the sticks makes complete sense, less people, less problems. But when you have to feed yourself and your family... attempting to learn that during desperation isn't the best idea. So my first instinct tells me to raid some place like a business park. Granted, people typically occupy these buildings, but i'd put money that most folks aren't going into work during the zombie apoc. The way I see it, you're going to find TONS of snack machines, general medical supplies, even things like tools, flashlights and batteries.

I wouldn't want to stay there, but at least this is a good place to gather up some interm supplies for the bug out. Then if i miss that deer, at least i have something to feed the family in the short term.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name="Titansfan" post="1099331" timestamp="1390416277"]Been a fan of "Walking Dead" last couple of seasons, there was discussion from time to time of where to go or what to do, was obvious that us who think of survival will not relate good to a TV show. Anyways, I was on a geocaching adventure that took me to Virgin Falls, Rock Island State Park and near Fall Creek Falls. At a virtual cache called (Smoke Signals), location: [b]N 35° 40.172 W 085° 18.373[/b] Location is an closed fire tower which is located on top of a large hill, terrain is steep on all sides expect the road leading up to the fire tower, that being the weak point. I didn't go up the tower this time since I was on of the few in the group that had already completed this virtual. I visited the location in 2006. House is there, along with out buildings and a propane tank. Pictured our our hike to the tower. Large and very tall tower. Advantages: Rural area, should be less indigent walkers Wooded and complex terrain, walkers don't trasverse very well Flat area on the hill top, be able to grow some crops, possible small number of livestock Tall tower for overwatch of the entire hilltop and surrounding area. Propane tank, fuel for heat and cooking. Concerns: Rural area, be longer distances to obtain supplies House one story and is wood, need to be more secure. Fire tower is very tall, use of arrows, crossbows would be ineffective at that distance. Water source not on the hilltop. If overrun, by walkers or rogue survivors, retreat would be difficult. Would be difficult to, but not impossible to defend against rogue survivors. To fortify, use barbed wire at base of hill and areas up the hill to trap or delay walkers. Stronger fence at hilltop ridge, with one exit/entrance Reinforce the house. 6ed87e31-8a0c-4ae5-9727-1f43cc959fcb.jpg[/quote] Does anyone know if you can go up in the tower?

You can. It's been locked up a few times I've been there but if you ask the rangers nice they will generally unlock it.

Before the conference center had internet that tower was the only place I could check my email when I used to camp at FCF.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

Was with a group of geocachers in January, the tower is a virtual cache, no container to find or sign, only count the steps going up.   I made the climb in 2006 when staying at Fall Creeks Falls for a Dept. retreat.  Link to the cache page:  http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6801_smoke-signals

No one was around that day in January, the access road did have locked gate that we went around.  I didn't make the climb that day, my knees were still in much pain from the 10 mile hike at Virgin Falls the day prior. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

In two months, I will take my family on vacation to Panama City Beach, FL.  Since I am a geocacher, I have been reviewing the maps of caches/interesting locations and etc.  In regard of where to go in the event of a “Walking Dead” Scenario, something stuck out to me.

As we known in the show, FEMA along with military bases, National Guard bases, etc, were eventually overrun by walkers.  Later, small groups pulled together and barricaded themselves, like Woodbury, the Prison and Terminus.  One thing I began to notice after Gov’s re-return to the prison.  While it was not too difficult to set up defenses against walkers (after gaining a full or better understanding), none were defensible to rogue survivor groups.  When the Gov. learned of the prison setting, he had two concerns, a survivor group in his area of operations that could be a threat and also he felt the prison was a safer place than his Woodbury and wanted it. 

Prepping for my trip in October, I observed the islands of Dauphin (off Mobile, AL), Okaloose which is connected to Santa Rosa (off Pensacola, FL)   They are off the coasts, connected by one or up to three causeways.   I’ve never been to those locations, but if there are renewable fresh water supply, areas of soil, that is not sand, to grow crops/pastures for some livestock…could be places to set up and live.

Advantages: 

Islands are linked by causeways that can be barricaded against both walker and rogue survivors.

As resources such as fuel dwindle, transportation to mainland for supply runs, recon can be made by non-motorized boats, such as canoes, kayak, rowboat, sailboat.

Renewable supply of food…..FISH!

Disadvantages:

Weather: Hurricane and Tropical storm seasons, residents will be screwed…nowhere to go.

Rogue survivors can also use non-motorized craft to make assault.