Troubleshooting a Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure

Alright, so I sat down to stuff some 230gn LRN bullets into cases tonight...Then I ran into a problem.  I had intended to try a Clays load in this batch, but I can't get the powder to measure AT ALL with the Lee Pro Auto Disk (running via a powder-through expanding die on a single stage).

The charges it dropped were wildly inconsistent and it occasionally would barely drop any powder at all. As far as I can tell, it looks like it may be "bridging" at the mouth of the hopper.

I generally use the "charge bar" to dial in loads, but I tried swapping around and using one of the disks. No go. It always seemed to drop powder, but it was still inconsistent.  I've used a number of powders through the Lee measure and never had a problem. I run a dryer sheet through it to attempt to alleviate any static issues--and there was static. I noticed some powder sticking to the side of the hopper.

I'm thinking of trying to run some graphite through it to see if it will meter any better afterward.  Other people seem to be able to get Clays to meter alright through this thing, but it's not working for me today.

Any ideas out there that I haven't covered yet? I generally have great success with this measure.

Clays is flake powder, right? I would hit it with graphite. I normally just run ball powder thru mine. If it's sticking, then it's static or grease I would think

Yeah. It's definitely the powder. I cycled some Unique through it and it was good to go +/- 0.1gn.

I stuffed some .308 with 175 grs last night using Varget and got accurate loads but while checking them on a scale I found heavy static electricity

on the funnel that had even the stick powder on it. When I went directly to the case with the powder there were no problems. 

Static electricity is a nasty thing when reloading that even hits stick powders let alone flake.

The Lee disk measures are known to have trouble with the smaller amounts of flake powders.  The manual specifically says not to try loading 4cc and smaller charges of flake out of any of their disk measures, including the adjustable charge bar.  I do load Titegroup in 9mm, but have found that extra care with cleaning, static removal and checking the cases more often for both weight and volume are important.  Some have reported that a baffle will help, I haven't made one yet but plan to do so.  I have never been able to make my microadjustable chargebar work with Titegroup, and stick to mostly plinking loads in the disks.

• Like 1

The Lee disk measures are known to have trouble with the smaller amounts of flake powders.  The manual specifically says not to try loading 4cc and smaller charges of flake out of any of their disk measures, including the adjustable charge bar.  I do load Titegroup in 9mm, but have found that extra care with cleaning, static removal and checking the cases more often for both weight and volume are important.  Some have reported that a baffle will help, I haven't made one yet but plan to do so.  I have never been able to make my microadjustable chargebar work with Titegroup, and stick to mostly plinking loads in the disks.

Yup. Think I'll just find another use for the Clays and stick with a couple of powders that I know to meter correctly in the Lee.  

As an experiment, I took the baffle that came with a Hornady powder measure I have but don't yet have the press set up, and put it in the Lee Pro Auto Disk.  It did help with the consistency of the drops, I'm loading 3.9 grains of Titegroup in 9mm and so far the charge is holding constant.  The baffle is very close to the size needed for the Lee measure.

Go to an auto parks shop and tell them you want some of the graphite for locks. It's a powder and just tape over the hole in the bottom  put some of that graphite in it and put the top on. Shake it allllll around inside the hopper. It helps alot. Mine throw a more consistent charge now but it's still like 2.5 to 2.7 for my minor loads. As long as your not pushing the upper edge of the loads or shooting bullseye matches it shouldn't hurt anything.

• Like 1

Alright, so I sat down to stuff some 230gn LRN bullets into cases tonight...Then I ran into a problem.  I had intended to try a Clays load in this batch, but I can't get the powder to measure AT ALL with the Lee Pro Auto Disk (running via a powder-through expanding die on a single stage).

The charges it dropped were wildly inconsistent and it occasionally would barely drop any powder at all. As far as I can tell, it looks like it may be "bridging" at the mouth of the hopper.

I generally use the "charge bar" to dial in loads, but I tried swapping around and using one of the disks. No go. It always seemed to drop powder, but it was still inconsistent.  I've used a number of powders through the Lee measure and never had a problem. I run a dryer sheet through it to attempt to alleviate any static issues--and there was static. I noticed some powder sticking to the side of the hopper.

I'm thinking of trying to run some graphite through it to see if it will meter any better afterward.  Other people seem to be able to get Clays to meter alright through this thing, but it's not working for me today.

Any ideas out there that I haven't covered yet? I generally have great success with this measure.

There's your problem! The charge bar don't work for crap! stick with the disks and just find one that throws when  your looking for. The chart is off at times too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SavageOne

Just so happens I was loading some .45 last night using Clays 3.5gn/230 LRN using a Lee Classis Turret w'Pro Auto Disc. (Don't load enough volume .45 to move it to the 650). So, I just threw 10 charges and weighed them. 35.2gns.  Can't get much closer than that. I keep a dryer sheet wraped around the hopper secured with a rubber band.  The Lee measures work better than the Dillon measures for me with low volume charges of flake powders. I think you may have a static problem.