Slide stuck CLOSED on a Para 1911

Here is my issue. When I function check the pistol the hammer will fall.

With my finger still on the trigger and pressed in, the slide will NOT open.

It moves ever so slightly and something inside clicks. The trigger moves some to when this happens.

The only way to get the slide open is to release the trigger and cock the hammer.

Then the slide will open.

Any ideas?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you continuing to keep the trigger depressed after the hammer has fallen? if the pull the trigger, the hammer falls an you left off the trigger will the slide come back? If i'm misunderstanding you please let me know but if not, then i'm not understanding how what you're doing is "function testing" anything.

Slide off and barrel out. That as far as I took it down.

Why are you continuing to keep the trigger depressed after the hammer has fallen? if the pull the trigger, the hammer falls an you left off the trigger will the slide come back? If i'm misunderstanding you please let me know but if not, then i'm not understanding how what you're doing is "function testing" anything.

Because when you normally fire a pistol you are still pressing the trigger as the slide opens. And typically you still are after closes.

Unless you some how have super fast trigger finger.

How far down did you take it apart to clean it?

Slide off and barrel out. That as far as I took it down.

The disconnector seems to function fine, it's almost like the firing pin safety LIFTER is the issue?

Lifter as in the thing that presses the firing pin safety block up.

I

Edited by TnShooter83

Check the series 80 arm on the frame sounds like you may have bent or broke it. also check the plunger on the slide

It looks ok to me and the guy at the gun shop.

He and took it a part and put it back together. As did I and we got he/we slide to work.

But now it drops the hammer when the slide closes. The disconnector just sit DOWN in the frame.

It is not sticking up as it should. I think the spring (Flat Spring) may have something to do with that.

Anyways, it now at the gunsmith.

Does it have an adjustable trigger?

If so back the setscrew out a 1/2 turn and see what happens.

It does not. It's fixed

Thanks for the help everyone. Me and the guy at the gunshop (who has taken them down before) both tryed to get it working.

In the end we fixed one problem and possibly created another. Read above for details.

Very common to keep the trigger "trapped".  Slow release gives a reset and much shorter trigger pull for next shot.

TnShooter.....what was the issue that was fixed?

Very common to keep the trigger "trapped".  Slow release gives a reset and much shorter trigger pull for next shot.

When I function check the pistol the hammer will fall.

With my finger still on the trigger and pressed in, the slide will NOT open.

Update:

The problem is fixed. The first issue was fixed when we took the parts out of the frame.

The later issue, hammer falling when slide closed, was due to the sear spring (flat spring) falling out and down upon reinstalling.

Apparently this is a common issue, especially  when you have never done it before. The smith called and said he knew what it was when he picked it up.

I was misunderstanding him. I think it had to do with me being up when I should have been in bed.