MP's Officially covered under LEOSA (New DODI issued)

I know there is an old thread on here i started when the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act was amended to include individuals with apprehension authority under the UCMJ.  This was back in January 2013.  At the time most figured it would be at least a year before DOD released a new DODI covering LEOSA implementation.  Well they finally have. 

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/552512p.pdf

It was released earlier this month.  It repeatedly lists "DOD LEA" for a more complete list of what is considered DOD law enforcement you have to look in DODI 5505.17

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/550517p.pdf

Now it is a matter of individual service branches determining their method for ID card issue.  I know that USAMPS was working on determining an issuing system prior to the DODI being released, so it should not take long for the Army system to be implemented.  I believe the Air Force already has a system in place. I do not know about the status of the Navy/Marine Corp

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means Military Law Enforcement active and separated (with more than 10 years of service) will soon be capable of getting a recognized LEOSA ID card that would allow them to carry in all 50 sates.  Separated service members must still meet an annual qualification requirement, which can be done through the state they reside.

I still have issues with the whole separate status thing between law enforcement and the average joe citizen, but i may still take advantage of this.  Especially since the reserves gives me my annual qualification so i would not have to pay for it every year.  The reality is that if you do not travel to certain states the TN HCP is probably the better choice.  

That was long overdue, I actually think I made more enemies as a MP than as a civilian cop.

I never cop bash, but MP bash? Heh, got pulled over on Ft Campbell doing 33 in a 35 because the MP was convinced it was a 25. He argued with me about it (and was a total ass) went back to his car, then came back and let me go with a "warning" to slow down. Couldn't even admit he was f'ed up and apologize. That is anecdotal, of course, but I've never had a positive experience with MPs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk