Armed security guard information

Guest Boonie

i would like to find some information on becoming an armed security guard. i allready have my gun permit, and need to know where tranning centers are near middle tenn. also what kind of gear is required ? and what kind of schooling is reqired for this kind of work ? Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's real simple. Almost anyplace that teaches HCP classes will also do armed guard. Most of them attend the same class as most of the requirements overlap. The shooting requirements are a little more stringent and there is a little more paperwork.

• 1 month later...
Trust me, I know all about doing what you have to do in order to make ends meet, but every time I see an ad looking for an armed guard, the pay is around $9/hour. That kind of risk hardly seems worth it.

Just my 2 cents, and good luck.

Just how much risk do you think is involved with a $9/hr armed guard job?

• 1 month later...
Guest 7987Steve

Anyone know where the closest Armed Guard / Protective Service training is to East Tennessee residents?

Edited by 7987Steve
Remove Title
  • 2 weeks later...
i would like to find some information on becoming an armed security guard. i allready have my gun permit, and need to know where tranning centers are near middle tenn. also what kind of gear is required ? and what kind of schooling is reqired for this kind of work ? Any help would be very much appreciated.

This will all depend on if you have already been hired by a company or if you want your Armed Guard license and then look for work.

Some of the larger companies (Wakenhut for instance) do all their own training in house. They (generally) issue you a firearm and do all the paperwork. Even if you have the training already, they still will "re-train" you.

Smaller companies, generally, don't have the resources or manpower to do the training in house. They may or may not issue you a firearm.

Also, in my experience, armed guards are not in high demand in Middle Tennessee. Numerous factors play into this: Police officers being allowed to work as armed guards without a license, clients only having security for insurance breaks, or clients with corporate hoplophobia are among those I see most often.

Armed guard pay (along with unarmed guard pay) is generally low. In my opinion, this is due to the high availability of police officers working as armed guards who can command pay of $18+/hour (which drives down the pay of the average guard). Who wants to pay some armed guard $16-17/hr when they can get a REAL cop for a bit more?

FYI, Armed Security makes, on average, $21k/year. A Police officer will make about $38k.

Edited by Glock30Owner

I'd like to say that I have worked as an armed guard, both for private company and for a large money courier.. Working private sucks major, it is extremely boring, and you do get looked down upon by regular citizens and hardly anyone will follow your direction if you have to give any type of authoritative command, most guards get a bad rep cause they are "wanna be cops". Like working an armed station at McDonalds in north Nashville from 6pm till close on Friday and Saturday night and you see thugs galore they will give you the 1000 yard stare, or make fun of you.

Depending on your security agreement you can make between 10$-14$ per hour when I worked private I made around 12$per hour after 1 year, I made 15$per hour working with the money courier after 2 years, plus they have benefits.

If you really want to work as armed security, apply at Loomis or Dunbar, they will train you although the risk is higher transporting money, it is not as boring and day goes by faster.. I quit a private armed job for the money courier and was much happier. They will train you to do things like work on ATMs and you are usually always on the go.

However I regularly worked with millions of dollars and you can be a prime target, average truck carried multi millions. I never had any real issues but did draw my weapon a few times when people got to close while servicing ATMs, I hated servicing ATMS cause most times your focus is not on your surroundings it, was the scariest part I would say. Oh and emergency cash runs, which suck but you make extra on those.

Good luck