Earth Day Market

Every year, on the 3rd weekend of April, Essentials Salon and Day Spa in Sparta, TN hosts an Earth Day Market. This is our annual fund raiser for clean water projects. Area vendors and musicians participate in this event. We invite you to come and be a part of our market. We are growing every year! We have unique gifts,reused and re purposed items, hand made crafts, great food and music. Please make your plans to join us on April 19, 2014 from 8a-5p!! This is the salon my wife manages and the all the proceeds go to the TN Clean Water Network. If you have facebook, please go to https://www.facebook.com/essentialsearthday and like the page!! It costs nothing to show up and look around, and if you would like to rent a spot to set up and sell your goods, it costs $35. Please come out if you have a chance and support a great cause for our state, and if you have something to sell, by all means rent a spot!

To daddyo's point, Earth Day has become a bit of a euphemism for "liberal political views of all types are expressed here" which don't always jive with more conservative leaning forums like this one, though not everyone here is on the right. It's disingenuous to think that "Earth Day" doesn't come with lots of baggage and is simply a day to promote conservation and reclamation. Its early connections with the anti-war  movement and subsequent association with militant environmentalists/eco-terrorists pretty much sealed that fate.

To mark42202's point, one might be surprised at the creative handcrafted stuff you can find at pretty much any local festival. Some of the people who make that stuff are as talented as they come. I doubt a local Earth Day fest in Sparta is going to be a hotbed of liberalism.

Me, I like clean rivers and lakes, clean air, and rain that doesn't eat the paint off my car. I just don't feel the need to swear off bathing and to smell of weed and patchouli to help make that happen. ;)

I appreciate local groups trying to take this back to what it's supposed to be about, raising awareness of environmental issues that concern us all, promoting peaceful dialog, providing opportunities for community service, and making us all stop and think a little more about how our purchasing decisions and daily behaviors affect the planet we all rely on for survival.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

HAHA! Not a "liberal shindig" to be sure!! The salon my wife runs is an Aveda salon. Aveda is a company that prides itself on using all natural ingredients in their stuff and doing their best to not have a negative impact on the environment. Each year, they require each salon to put on one of these events, with the money raised going to a different conservation organization. A few years ago all the proceeds went to helping to fund the clean up of the oil mess in the gulf. The vendors setting up are some of the same you would see at any open air market and have nothing at all to do with Earth Day at all. ANY person who wants to set up something can pay their $35 for their spot and it doesn't matter what they are wanting to sell or display. We already have Calfkiller Brewing Company that will be there (they are there every year giving out free beer samples), Blue Smoke BBQ will be selling food, antique dealers, woodworking and crafts, etc. It gives a great opportunity for smaller local businesses to get their products and names out there, and the proceeds go to a good cause.

BTW, 4 of the 11 women who work at the salon are HCP holders, my wife included. This is not a hippy gathering or anything of the sort. Like I said, open air market where ANYbody can rent a spot and sell whatever they want to. Hell, last year we had a drag car with a 2500hp blown alky enging that was drowning the band on stage out. He set up a booth just to show off his car and wasn't even selling anything, lol.

LOL, yes he did! But the point isn't to have things related to "saving the planet" there. Their (the salon) point is to raise money for their cause, which they get from the spot rentals. They want people to set up stuff that other people will actually WANT to come check out... (more people come to check out vendors = more vendors want to rent booths = more money going toward the conservation effort).

I can't disagree about Aveda's political leanings, and this isn't about raising money for Aveda. The corporate offices have the salons put on these events to raise the money for a given charity/ conservation effort. They leave the "how" up to the salons.